Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 06:41:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to Import my Armory Root Key into Electrum  (Read 3316 times)
jlh11 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 05:24:01 PM

Hello, If someone could provide me some assistance I would be greatly appreciative. I purchased bitcoins through coinbase.com and then I downloaded Armory to transfer my coins too. I guess I missed somewhere that downloading bitcoin core would take a lifetime and until it has fully downloaded the block chain nothing I send to armory will show up. Well before I realized this I created a new wallet in Armory and printed out the paper back up using secure print which gave me a sheet with a secure print "code" and my Armory wallet Root Key. I then clicked "receive bitcoins" got an address pasted it into coinbase.com and initiated a transaction to send my bitcoins from Coinbase to Armory. It is now 3 days later and I've yet to be able to get bitcoin core fully synced. It is still 1 year and 7 weeks behind I've tried downloaded bootstrap.dat and inserting it into library/application support/bitcoin and restarted bitcoin core and noticed no difference. I also tried port forwarding to 8333 in my router settings as suggested by some people. The bottom line is my other half does not want to continue to try to download bitcoin core and use up all the computer space it requires and it seems that it may take weeks to sync up anyway. I'm trying to figure out how I can use my Armory paper back up and retrieve my BTC through a lightweight wallet like Electrum or even if there is a way to get them back to Coinbase. I am using Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2.

BTW: If possible please explain any help you may have in as "plain" language as possible as I do not have much experience when it comes to using command line/terminal and similar applications.

Thank you in advance!!! And if this has been covered previously I also apologize as I sorted through forums I found similar topics but answers were confusing and I wasn't sure how to adapt the given advice to my specific situation.
jackbox
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 05:36:02 PM

If Armory printed the private key for the address you can use Blockchain.info to sweep it into one of their wallets and then send it back to Coinbase or another wallet.

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
If I was helpful please buy me a burger DGB: DLASV6CUQpGtGSyaVz5FYuu5YxZ17MoGQz
jlh11 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 05:58:28 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. The problem I'm having is I have the route key not the private key. I have access to armory it's just offline. Can I somehow retrieve the private key from my offline armory? Thanks again
jackbox
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 02:02:34 AM

You should have an option somewhere to export the private key. I don't use Armory so not sure how to do it.

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
If I was helpful please buy me a burger DGB: DLASV6CUQpGtGSyaVz5FYuu5YxZ17MoGQz
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 10:55:57 AM

You can export your addresses's private key from Armory while Offline. Just click the wallet that contains the address, click on it and press show keys.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2327

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 04:27:29 AM

To get the private key of a specific address in Armory:

• Open Armory
  • Double click on the wallet that contains the address you sent funds to
  • Double click on the address that you sent funds to
  • Click on "View Address Keys"
  • Enter your password and click Unlock

You then copy the private key and import it and/or sweep it into the wallet program of your choice.

You can repeat the above process if you sent funds to more then one address.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2015, 08:07:45 AM

-snip-
You then copy the private key and import it and/or sweep it into the wallet program of your choice.
 -snip-

In Electrum 2.x, you can not import addresses to a wallet with seed. You need to create a new wallet.

https://electrum.orain.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Can_I_import_addresses_from_other_Bitcoin_clients.3F

There is no problem for sweeping.

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2327

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 09:38:27 PM

-snip-
 -snip-

In Electrum 2.x, you can not import addresses to a wallet with seed. You need to create a new wallet.

https://electrum.orain.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Can_I_import_addresses_from_other_Bitcoin_clients.3F

There is no problem for sweeping.
I think the OP's question is really more of an Armory question then an Electrum question (despite it being in the electrum section).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: