Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 10:30:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When will GPU mining become unprofitable? (electricity $>BTC generated)  (Read 2092 times)
retrapher (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 04:01:18 AM

I have a 660 Ti GTX card and am trying to sell it to get a 7970. What's the low and high ball estimate for when the electricity costs surpass BTC generation (in a pool)? I already need a video card for gaming, so don't consider capital costs.
Blyzon

Activity: 12

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 04:23:17 AM

Probably pretty soon.  The block subsidy is getting cut in half in December, and ASICs are poised to marginalize the hashrate of the GPU miners.
Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 04:30:03 AM

I have a 660 Ti GTX card and am trying to sell it to get a 7970. What's the low and high ball estimate for when the electricity costs surpass BTC generation (in a pool)? I already need a video card for gaming, so don't consider capital costs.

It's hard to know without knowing your electricity rate. On top of that, we don't really know how quickly ASICs will come online. If I had to guess, though, I'd say mid-January.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 08:02:57 AM

It's hard to know without knowing your electricity rate. On top of that, we don't really know how quickly ASICs will come online. If I had to guess, though, I'd say mid-January.

Unless the exchange rate rises from here, block 209,999 is likely the last block that anyone mining with a GPU and paying normal rates for electricity (e.g., $0.15 per kWh) can mine profitably

That's about 60 days from now.

We just don't know the future exchange rate though.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

gyverlb

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 11:18:02 AM

Don't forget to factor your hardware depreciation in: if you make $50 after electricity costs are deducted but your hardware's value loses $75, you are out of $25.

Buying brand new hardware today isn't worth it. In fact you may not even be able to get profitable with used hardware when you factor in the shipping costs, risks of hardware failure, Paypal/eBay costs, ...

GPU mining is only profitable for people who have reached break-even (all hardware costs paid back with profits) or are about to do so.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
mybitcoincharts

Activity: 45

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 01:21:12 PM

If you state your electricity prices it will be easier to tell. I did some calculations a month ago, and with my electricity costs here in Germany (0.25 EUR per kilowatt hour) even FPGA boards would result in losses.
Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 03:09:29 PM

Unless the exchange rate rises from here, block 209,999 is likely the last block that anyone mining with a GPU and paying normal rates for electricity (e.g., $0.15 per kWh) can mine profitably

It's hard to say. With the exchange at $12, electricity at .15, and reward at 25btc, I'm still showing a profit for most GPU setups at a difficulty of 5,000,000, and I haven't updated the GPU section of my spreadsheet in a year, so there might be better ones in terms of performance. In this case MH/J is the most important factor.

As an aside BFL FPGAs are just above 11 months ROI under that circumstance.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: