Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:58:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there any way to report a whole thread?  (Read 845 times)
XinXan (OP)

Activity: 1064
Merit: 505

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 02:19:15 PM

Threads like this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1123698.0

Are extremely annoying, the first page has all the answers op needed there is absolutely no need for the other 5 and counting pages of trash comments saying the same thing over and over again, its quite annoying and im not going to report each post to mods, how can i get a mod to lock the whole thread?
I mean do you guys think that's ok?
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jambola2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 02:53:50 PM

I guess you would report one comment that is the archetype of the replies to the thread and note in the report message that the rest of the thread is remove worthy too.
To be honest, I'm not sure about the extent to which they will be removed. Most questions are answered in that manner, with no original thought after the first page.

A possible solution could be (another) Gambling sub-forum dedicated to discussing gambling rather than announcements. It used to be better when the Gambling forum would serve as a catalogue of the different gambling sites rather than cluttered with sports picks (whose only replies are "thanks for the picks", "why did you pick wrong !?") and answers to  questions like the one you've shown.

No longer active on bitcointalk, however, you can still reach me via PMs if needed.
XinXan (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 03:39:19 PM

I guess you would report one comment that is the archetype of the replies to the thread and note in the report message that the rest of the thread is remove worthy too.
To be honest, I'm not sure about the extent to which they will be removed. Most questions are answered in that manner, with no original thought after the first page.

A possible solution could be (another) Gambling sub-forum dedicated to discussing gambling rather than announcements. It used to be better when the Gambling forum would serve as a catalogue of the different gambling sites rather than cluttered with sports picks (whose only replies are "thanks for the picks", "why did you pick wrong !?") and answers to  questions like the one you've shown.

Maybe that would be a good idea, something like gambling announcements and gambling discussion and strategies, still that won't be really helpful in this matter where people keep replying the same things over and over again.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 03:46:20 PM

I think you should just let it be. If you cant, you could focus on users that constantly rephrase posts by others and report the user as spammer.

Other than that. Things here get constantly reposted and its a common thing that people do not read entire threads, but just add their post. This is especially true for "whats your opinion about X" kind of threads and (oddly) the beginners & help section. Im not really sure what to do about this, unless the user in question does nothing else and can thus be considered spamming.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
BeGoods
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 04:16:50 PM

Yes OP, there is a way just report the original post and in the comments box ask the mods to close the thread as the question has been answered numerous times
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 01:37:27 AM

Some one needs a positive outlet for their OCD.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2015, 07:19:49 AM

Uhm...what? It's a valid question and point in all fairness, even though I think that the thread in question shouldn't be deleted as it has provoked a discussion of some sorts...someone stating that they think a thread should be deleted doesn't mean that they have OCD.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
XinXan (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 08:49:33 AM

Uhm...what? It's a valid question and point in all fairness, even though I think that the thread in question shouldn't be deleted as it has provoked a discussion of some sorts...someone stating that they think a thread should be deleted doesn't mean that they have OCD.

I mean, that's the problem, i can't report the thread itself because the question is valid is just the users who keep answering with the same thing over and over again what bothers me and knowing this forum does care a lot about spam and useless posts i just wanted to know if maybe, locking the thread would be an option.
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2015, 01:00:59 PM

Well I don't particularly see anything wrong with it. It's a Forum people come here to post their views and they have every right to do so, if this thread is wrong then I am sure there must be many more threads same as this in other sections as well.

Infact some of the topics itself are created over and over again phrased differently. For ex. "What's the best Bitcoin Wallet" "How can I keep my bitcoins safe" "Which wallet is safe" or "What's the best way to earn bitcoins for free" " Where to get free Bitcoins" and there must be many other topics on which threads are created over and over again and they're discussed over and over again.

So should we start reporting and try to get these threads deleted/locked because they were duplicate threads?

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
XinXan (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 01:08:30 PM

Well I don't particularly see anything wrong with it. It's a Forum people come here to post their views and they have every right to do so, if this thread is wrong then I am sure there must be many more threads same as this in other sections as well.

Infact some of the topics itself are created over and over again phrased differently. For ex. "What's the best Bitcoin Wallet" "How can I keep my bitcoins safe" "Which wallet is safe" or "What's the best way to earn bitcoins for free" " Where to get free Bitcoins" and there must be many other topics on which threads are created over and over again and they're discussed over and over again.

So should we start reporting and try to get these threads deleted/locked because they were duplicate threads?

Yes, we should? People is getting banned everyday, have you seen the meta section? Almost every day there is someone complaining about their ban because they were posting insubstantial and non-constructive posts so why are these allowed? As i said deleting the thread might not be a good idea but locking it, i think its fair enough, the question was simple, what is the safest dice strategy, the answer has been given, a few times, no point in continuing the conversation at that point, dont you think?
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2015, 01:23:31 PM

Yes, we should? People is getting banned everyday, have you seen the meta section? Almost every day there is someone complaining about their ban because they were posting insubstantial and non-constructive posts so why are these allowed? As i said deleting the thread might not be a good idea but locking it, i think its fair enough, the question was simple, what is the safest dice strategy, the answer has been given, a few times, no point in continuing the conversation at that point, dont you think?

Yes, it was a simple question and agree that mostly the question gets answered with first few replies in almost all the threads but it also happens that sometimes there is a disagreement or someone thinks that the a particular reply was not correct or partially correct and then it gets quoted and the other person posts his/her view and then it sparks a discussion of what is right or wrong, like what is happening right now with this question.

Then there are questions which are simply like a poll and then everybody tries to post their point of view, I don't know if there is anything wrong with it but I am not going to start reporting these because I don't think these threads will get locked and what will happen is I'll get my good reports percentage dropped (which I have managed to get up somewhat), so I don't think it's a good idea.

And it's all about perception, a post may look useless to me but it might not to you or others. I experienced that when I reported some posts made by a user to ndnhc when I was in their campaign and he told me that according to them they were good.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
BitcoinEXpress
Legendary

Activity: 1210
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 03:48:24 AM

Kettle meet Pot.

~BCX~
XinXan (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 05:12:07 PM

Yes, it was a simple question and agree that mostly the question gets answered with first few replies in almost all the threads but it also happens that sometimes there is a disagreement or someone thinks that the a particular reply was not correct or partially correct and then it gets quoted and the other person posts his/her view and then it sparks a discussion of what is right or wrong, like what is happening right now with this question.

Then there are questions which are simply like a poll and then everybody tries to post their point of view, I don't know if there is anything wrong with it but I am not going to start reporting these because I don't think these threads will get locked and what will happen is I'll get my good reports percentage dropped (which I have managed to get up somewhat), so I don't think it's a good idea.

And it's all about perception, a post may look useless to me but it might not to you or others. I experienced that when I reported some posts made by a user to ndnhc when I was in their campaign and he told me that according to them they were good.

What you said it's true but sometimes things get out of hand, at least in my opinion, take a look at the famous thread of martingale with 70~ pages already, do you really think 70 pages to discuss a strategy that does not work is something needed?
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:43:54 PM

What you said it's true but sometimes things get out of hand, at least in my opinion, take a look at the famous thread of martingale with 70~ pages already, do you really think 70 pages to discuss a strategy that does not work is something needed?

Funny you bring that one up "does martingale really works?".  I haven't seen it bumped since I basically shouted at everyone to stop bumping it---that they weren't adding anything.  I was really surprised it worked but at least in that case, all I said was "cut it out people, this thread is done" and that was it.  Smiley
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2015, 09:51:45 PM

You can report the opening post if you really want to make it about a whole thread, or just say in your report about any one post that it is about the whole thread. Mods get the full message of what the report is about and you can write quite a lot in your report if you wish.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: