Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:16:04 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin like McDonald's, and altcoins are like coffee houses?  (Read 1329 times)
redonkulous

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 08:10:55 PM

Altcoins are for so many different things and reasons that your comparison is not even close.
Worst analogy ever. You FAIL at analogies.
KlondikeBear (OP)

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 08:34:34 PM
Last edit: July 26, 2015, 08:56:27 PM by KlondikeBear

You don't understand me. I'm speaking about "the experience economy" theory and about consumer choice, not about coffee or hamburgers.
Altcoins are created for many different reasons and things. But we are talking not about for which reasons their original devs have created them,
but will people use them, or not, will people spend them, or not, will people buy goods or services with them.

I don't mean altcoins like altcoin of runners, altcoin of aquarium fans, altcoin of coffee lovers etc.

An example: DOGE was created for fun. The question is will DOGE lovers use Dogecoin to buy goods or services, or they will use BTC alone.
My answer is yes, they will use DOGE.

This thread is a complete fail. Altcoins are created for many different reasons. Some are created to serve a particular community, or as stated above, most of the time they are created to make bitcoins. Your analogy fails.
Altcoins are for so many different things and reasons that your comparison is not even close.

the Nash equilibrium?
TibanneCat

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

BTC > etc

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 02:46:14 PM

Not everybody loves Cola, coca or pepsi. It's a drink derived from the U.S, which is really implemented into world market (McDonald's has made it very popular), but there are many other drinks which some consumers prefer: juices, beer, national drinks.

I'm comparing apples with apples.
if you are gonna compare cola with beer, it would be like comparing cryptocoins with treasury bonds, which wasn't your original point.

And now imagine that you have nothing but Coca-Cola or Pepsi. Would you like it?

If what you want is cola then that is pretty much what is being offered in most places. When was the last time you saw more than 2 different brands of cola on the menu?? Or saw someone ordering Jean's Cola instead of Coca-Cola??

if people don't like cola, they get can get water or juice
if they don't like crypto, they can use cash or credit card

There are way too many altcoins, most of which are just shitcoins with no innovation, created for the main purpose of making a quick buck.
Now imagine if several wannabe-colas gave people diarrhea at a time that colas were still a novelty that few have tried??

you can come up with a healthier cola formula or promise that proceeds will go to charity, chances are people will still stick with their Coca-Cola or Pepsi.
In case some new cola does start gaining enough adoption to compete with Coke and Pepsi, they will just adopt their formulas and business models to it.
KlondikeBear (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 03:01:30 PM
Last edit: July 28, 2015, 12:59:18 AM by KlondikeBear

Drink analogy was not my original point. That is your idea.

I didn't assume to discuss comparisons and analogies, it was not the point of this topic.

I'm comparing apples with apples.
if you are gonna compare cola with beer, it would be like comparing cryptocoins with treasury bonds, which wasn't your original point.

Just following your logic, if you believe that some coins are simple clones, is it not safer to use them instead of "innovative" imitations of wannabe colas?

Innovations can be different. In the U.S. or Japan you can patent not only technical solutions.

There are way too many altcoins, most of which are just shitcoins with no innovation, created for the main purpose of making a quick buck.

Huntercoin (HUC) is completely innovative, it is a pioneer of Human-proof, with market capitalization $17,000.
Dogecoin is not innovative with market capitalization $18 million, but it is the gate to cryptos for many people, and has contributed a lot in generally increasing the acceptance and publicity of cryptos.

the Nash equilibrium?
tommorisonwebdesign

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 09:20:21 PM

You don't understand me. I'm speaking about "the experience economy" theory and about consumer choice, not about coffee or hamburgers.
Altcoins are created for many different reasons and things. But we are talking not about for which reasons their original devs have created them,
but will people use them, or not, will people spend them, or not, will people buy goods or services with them.

I don't mean altcoins like altcoin of runners, altcoin of aquarium fans, altcoin of coffee lovers etc.

An example: DOGE was created for fun. The question is will DOGE lovers use Dogecoin to buy goods or services, or they will use BTC alone.
My answer is yes, they will use DOGE.

This thread is a complete fail. Altcoins are created for many different reasons. Some are created to serve a particular community, or as stated above, most of the time they are created to make bitcoins. Your analogy fails.
It's like you don't understand English or something. I don't know anyone who exclusively uses Dogecoins. What you're saying makes no sense whatsoever.

Signatures? How about learning a skill... I don't care either way. Everybody has to make a living somehow.
KlondikeBear (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 09:54:15 PM

I don't say that you must know anyone who exclusively uses Dogecoins.
The question is will altcoiners spend their coins to buy goods or services, or will they sell their altcoins, get bitcoins and use them exclusively?

I don't understand what your point is. Are you from Dogecoin community?

It's like you don't understand English or something. I don't know anyone who exclusively uses Dogecoins. What you're saying makes no sense whatsoever.

the Nash equilibrium?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: