Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 09:49:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin like McDonald's, and altcoins are like coffee houses?  (Read 1329 times)
KlondikeBear (OP)

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 03:23:19 PM

Yes, I know, altcoins are not mainstream now.
I'd like to share with you idea that came to my mind today in a process of discussing with GODLIKE.

You want to eat? McDonald's is everywhere, it is implemented into market, cheap and fast food, you can buy a coffee or ice cream there,
many customers are loving it, why do we need all these Starbucks, cafes, or restaurants?
Let it be McDonald's everywhere, no hunger, triumph of freedom!

We can compare altcoins with restaurants or coffee houses, when Bitcoin is like McDonald's... (queues, crowding, noisiness, no available tables sometimes)  long synchronizing, block size problems, but lite fast versions (similar to fast food) are here to help you, everything is stable, reliable, and many customers trust and love it!
McDonald's has great market capitalization and it is successful business.

I read old bitcoin discussions sometimes, and first BTC adopters often had been asked: why do we need BTC, if we have usd banknotes (private, usable, accepted everywhere)? How we are tired of your bitcoins! Nobody will use them! Why do we need them, if we have instant mobile payments and other good common payment methods?

Today we are hearing these words regarding altcoins, only instead of usd banknotes people point BTC.

The experience economy theory
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Experience_Economy

A core argument is that because of technology, increasing competition, and the increasing expectations of consumers, services today are starting to look like commodities.

The classification for each stage in the evolution of products is:
A commodity business charges for undifferentiated products.
A goods business charges for distinctive, tangible things.
A service business charges for the activities you perform.
An experience business charges for the feeling customers get by engaging it.
A transformation business charges for the benefit customers (or "guests") receive by spending time there.

An experience business is what we have when we deal with altcoins. Features, similar to Bitcoin generally, but different communities, different development, different FEELING.

Bitcoin is great but boring, if it is alone,
is it just me, or do you think so, too?

the Nash equilibrium?
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2015, 04:18:43 PM

That's one of the worst analogies ever

Braino

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

IRONX - Fully regulated World-Class Exchange

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 06:23:41 PM

Completely agree. This thread is so wrong I had to comment.

An "experience" is something like parachuting or river rafting, something that people experience rather than own or do.

Altcoins and the OP are not even related to this.

This thread is a FAIL, lock it and move on to something else since it should die on it's own anyway.

▄██    ▐███████▄▄▄       ▄▄█████▄▄      ▄██▄      ▐██▄    ▒▓▓▄      ▄▓▓▒
     ███    ▐██▌▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ████▄     ▐██▌  ▐▓▄ ▀▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▀ ▄▓▌
     ███    ▐██▌      ███   ███▌      ███▌   ██████    ▐██▌   ▀▓▓▄ ▀▓▓▓▓▀ ▄▓▓▀
     ███    ▐██▌    ▄████  ▐███▌      ▐██▌   ███ ███▄  ▐██▌     ▀▓▓▄ ▀▀ ▄▓▓▀
     ███    ▐█████████▀▀   ▐███▌      ▐██▌   ███  ▀███ ▐██▌      ▓▓▓    ▓▓▓
     ███    ▐██▌   ▀███     ███▌      ███▌   ███    ██████▌   ▄▓▓▀ ▄▓▓▓▓▄ ▓▓▓▄
     ███    ▐██▌     ███    ▀███▄▄▄▄▄████    ███     ▀████▌  ▐▓▀ ▄▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▄ ▀▓▌
     ███    ▐██▌      ███     ▀▀██████▀▀     ███       ███▌    ▄▓▓▀      ▀▓▓▄
                  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄▄
             ▄▄█▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀█▓▓▓▓▓█▄
           ▄▓▓▓█▀▀            ▀▀█▓▓█▄
         ▓▓▓█▀                    ▀▓▓█▄
       ▄▓▓▓▀                        ▀▓▓█
      ▄▓▓█                            █▓▓
      ▓▓▓                    ▄██▄     ▐▓▓█
     ▓▓▓                   ▄█▓▓▀       ▐▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓                 ▄█▓▓▀          ▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓       ▓▓▓▄    ▓▓▓▓▀            ▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓        ▀▓▓▓▄█▓▓▓▀             ▐▓▓▌
     ▀▓▓▓         ▀█▓▓█▀               █▓▓
      ▓▓▓▄                            ▓▓▓▌
       ▓▓▓█                         ▄█▓▓▀
        ▀▓▓█▄                     ▄▓▓▓█▀
          ▀▓▓▓█▄               ▄▄█▓▓█▀
            ▀▀█▓▓▓█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▓▓▓█▀
                ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▀▀
duuuuude

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 07:14:52 PM

I think your analogy has some interesting thoughts to it. and could be expanded upon more

i am sorry for people on the forum who just like to hate.

J
iGotSpots
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2015, 07:26:47 PM

I think your analogy has some interesting thoughts to it. and could be expanded upon more

J

Lol, seriously?

KlondikeBear (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 07:37:01 PM

We are talking about economics and consumer choice, not about "parachuting or river rafting", these things are irrelevant for sure.

The Experience Economy: Work Is Theater & Every Business a Stage is a well-known book and "the experience economy" is the concept of economics and marketing.

http://www.inc.com/ekaterina-walter/the-experience-economy-the-5-pillars-of-successful-cxm.html
"Companies of all kinds are finally realizing that your experience, whether it be in the dressing room, at the cashier, on the website, or on the phone, greatly influences your purchasing behavior."

Thank you anyway for your opinion but I would be really grateful if you didn't just say "WRONG" but explain why it is wrong in your opinion, so that I could argue. That is how any discussion goes and I think I've posted this topic in a proper section "Altcoin Discussion".

Completely agree. This thread is so wrong I had to comment.

An "experience" is something like parachuting or river rafting, something that people experience rather than own or do.

Altcoins and the OP are not even related to this.

This thread is a FAIL, lock it and move on to something else since it should die on it's own anyway.

the Nash equilibrium?
Sourgummies

Activity: 728

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 07:44:42 PM

Short of it is NO.
KlondikeBear (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 04:57:14 PM
Last edit: July 25, 2015, 05:26:43 PM by KlondikeBear

Maybe this analogy is not completely good because McDonald's is often attacked by mass media and fans of healthy living,
but I'm talking about functionality and feelings of customers, not about hamburgers.

In short: people have feelings, Bitcoin alone can be boring, you can get different experiences with different coins and communities.
You know, altcoin magic...

Coins are being implemented into market, payment gateways, gift cards, exchange services, multi wallets, some shops accept coins straight from your hands.
Technically for altcoin holders there is no difference to buy with Bitcoin or with some altcoins, even through payment gateway.
You must send coins to an address and that is all. If you hold altcoins, it is easier to send altcoins than to exchange them to BTC first.

Even if everybody can buy coffee or dessert in McDonald's, it does not mean that McDonald's will supersede other restaurants, cafes, coffee houses completely, Starbucks will not supersede other coffee houses.

J

Thank you.

It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. Confucius.

the Nash equilibrium?
TibanneCat

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

BTC > etc

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 05:57:06 PM

A better analogy would be: Bitcoin is like Coca-Cola and altcoins are like wannabe-colas

They promise new and improved flavors but eventually fizzle out when costumers realize they are nothing but cheap imitations of the original thing

Litecoin seems to be the Pepsi so far

iGotSpots
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2015, 06:46:27 PM

A better analogy would be: Bitcoin is like Coca-Cola and altcoins are like wannabe-colas

They promise new and improved flavors but eventually fizzle out when costumers realize they are nothing but cheap imitations of the original thing

Litecoin seems to be the Pepsi so far

LTC is basically coke zero. A watered down version that is much shittier. Of all alts, LTC literally has the least features possible

KlondikeBear (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 07:14:48 PM

Interesting analogy, but why wannabe-colas?
Not everybody loves Cola, coca or pepsi. It's a drink derived from the U.S, which is really implemented into world market (McDonald's has made it very popular), but there are many other drinks which some consumers prefer: juices, beer, national drinks.
Coca-Cola is the ruler, but when you want to drink you can choose.
And now imagine that you have nothing but Coca-Cola or Pepsi. Would you like it?

the Nash equilibrium?
nickhiggins123

Activity: 283

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 09:09:43 PM

Yes, I know, altcoins are not mainstream now.
I'd like to share with you idea that came to my mind today in a process of discussing with GODLIKE.

You want to eat? McDonald's is everywhere, it is implemented into market, cheap and fast food, you can buy a coffee or ice cream there,
many customers are loving it, why do we need all these Starbucks, cafes, or restaurants?
Let it be McDonald's everywhere, no hunger, triumph of freedom!

We can compare altcoins with restaurants or coffee houses, when Bitcoin is like McDonald's... (queues, crowding, noisiness, no available tables sometimes)  long synchronizing, block size problems, but lite fast versions (similar to fast food) are here to help you, everything is stable, reliable, and many customers trust and love it!
McDonald's has great market capitalization and it is successful business.

I read old bitcoin discussions sometimes, and first BTC adopters often had been asked: why do we need BTC, if we have usd banknotes (private, usable, accepted everywhere)? How we are tired of your bitcoins! Nobody will use them! Why do we need them, if we have instant mobile payments and other good common payment methods?

Today we are hearing these words regarding altcoins, only instead of usd banknotes people point BTC.

The experience economy theory
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Experience_Economy

A core argument is that because of technology, increasing competition, and the increasing expectations of consumers, services today are starting to look like commodities.

The classification for each stage in the evolution of products is:
A commodity business charges for undifferentiated products.
A goods business charges for distinctive, tangible things.
A service business charges for the activities you perform.
An experience business charges for the feeling customers get by engaging it.
A transformation business charges for the benefit customers (or "guests") receive by spending time there.

An experience business is what we have when we deal with altcoins. Features, similar to Bitcoin generally, but different communities, different development, different FEELING.

Bitcoin is great but boring, if it is alone,
is it just me, or do you think so, too?

Please delete this thread.
KlondikeBear (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:17:24 AM

LTC is basically coke zero. A watered down version that is much shittier. Of all alts, LTC literally has the least features possible
It is your own experience, your feeling, and look how it supports "the experience economy" theory.
Obviously LTC is very popular with the second or third market cap rank, but you don't want to use it, and prefer another coin, it is OK.
You may love BTC, you may love LTC, you may prefer other coins...

Bitcoin is like Coca-Cola and altcoins are like wannabe-colas

A better analogy would be: underlying blockchain technology is water, and drinks are based on water, be it Cola, tea, coffee, or alcoholic beverages.

I regret that people usually tell their opinions that they believe altcoins are "sh*t" and have no future, but almost never try to argue it.
Maybe they have no reliable arguments, or maybe people are tired of new altcoins.
In the same time I see intelligent people here Nxtblg, for example, who are providing real argumentation in favor of good altcoins.

the Nash equilibrium?
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:43:40 AM

Grin Totally agree! The guy has a bright fantasy.
By the way, McDonald's is a bad example because it has struggling sales  Wink

Ingatqhvq

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:53:23 AM

it's totally different, most of altercoin was created just for earning bitcoin, that's the really purpose.
KlondikeBear (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 10:41:21 AM

Grin Totally agree! The guy has a bright fantasy.
By the way, McDonald's is a bad example because it has struggling sales  Wink

Exactly. Struggling sales and beating small competitors.

I think most of coffee houses were created for earning money, but not ONLY for earning money, there are many different and more profitable ways. 
But we're talking about consumer choice.
Yes, many devs have left development (maybe some of them wanted instant profits with premined and instamined coins, but not all of them).
People continue using some coins, love, try to develop them, currently some altcoins are just like hobbies, and so are some coffee houses.
Some of them have changed owners and managers, but have the same brand and signboard that people get used to.

it's totally different, most of altercoin was created just for earning bitcoin, that's the really purpose.

the Nash equilibrium?
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2015, 01:09:20 PM

In the same time I see intelligent people here Nxtblg, for example, who are providing real argumentation in favor of good altcoins.

My economics degree must be showing. Tongue

But seriously: you are going against the grain somewhat, as "experiences" - particularly thrilling ones - require a kind of sheltering and a definite restrictiveness. Experiences, in the thrill-ride sense of the term, are as restricted as iPhones and there's no jailbreaking. The experience provider doesn't want to get sued - or charged with a crime!

It's the same with WWE. If you look at those big bruisers with a certain common sense in your head, you'll see why all the bouts are scripted. Were they really as freewheeling as they appear, the guys in the ring would outright injure each other and there'd be the occasional "work-related" death in the ring. There definitely would be recurring tragedies. That's not the way to run a league, let alone a high-grossing "Entertainment" service.

The reason why you're getting so much pushback, I suspect, is because experience marketing requires structure - which we cryptonauts see as "centralization." Really, if you accept the conventional sense of the term, there's no way to square the circle. Not as long as delivering a consistent experience requires structuring and control - i.e., centralization. Even if its iCentralization. Wink

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

KlondikeBear (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 03:49:08 PM

I understand that Satoshi Nakamoto's ideas of decentralization are often being transformed now.
Centralization, incorporations... I don't think he meant that. Not security and transparency alone we need, but fairness and freedom.
If you want less "bad experiences" and more centralization, why not to buy on NYSE shares of Visa, Mastercard, Western Union, or small companies of industry, centralized and controlled? Why to deal with cryptocurrency? Again, different experiences...

But if you have studied '08 crisis, you know that even scrupulously regulated and audited giant companies are not insured against very bad experiences.
An example: American International Group with more than 88 million customers in 130 countries.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=AIG&a=08&b=7&c=2007&d=05&e=1&f=2009&g=m
Jan 2, 2008  Price: $ 58.59
Mar 2, 2009  Price: $ 0.52

I don't think these ideas are getting so much pushback, as you said, but altcoins are not mainstream now, and people are pretty worried or afraid to show any support, not "to be crucified".  We'll live and we'll see.

The reason why you're getting so much pushback, I suspect, is because experience marketing requires structure - which we cryptonauts see as "centralization." Really, if you accept the conventional sense of the term, there's no way to square the circle. Not as long as delivering a consistent experience requires structuring and control - i.e., centralization. Even if its iCentralization. Wink

the Nash equilibrium?
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 06:24:36 PM

Sure, and Monero is Starbucks in this analogy.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
tommorisonwebdesign

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 06:41:49 PM

This thread is a complete fail. Altcoins are created for many different reasons. Some are created to serve a particular community, or as stated above, most of the time they are created to make bitcoins. Your analogy fails.

Signatures? How about learning a skill... I don't care either way. Everybody has to make a living somehow.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: