Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:24:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So you want to be part of the Bitcoin Marketplace, do you?  (Read 3337 times)
MPOE-PR (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 11:44:37 AM

Hello, and welcome. I will be your mean & unfriendly guide for a few paragraphs. The idea is that if you don't follow my advice you'll be calling me mean & unfriendly in due course whereas if you do follow it you might end up amounting to something in BTC world.

I. Familiarize yourself with the scary, evil, mean, yet awesome gpg. This couldn't possibly be stressed enough. Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency. The crypto part stands for cryptography, and you literally cannot be a part of it unless you have at least some cursory understanding of gpg.

If you do not you aren't part of Bitcoin. You may be part of internet drama, internet idiocy, internet delusion or whatever else, but the day you master gpg is the day you actually start being able to be part of BTC. At the very minimum you must be able to import keys, sign documents and verify other's signatures, encrypt and decrypt documents.

II. List yourself in the WOT. On one hand this is a sort of practical test based on what you've learned following I above, like the SAT. On the other hand this is your one and only identity in the BTC world. You may think you have other identities, such as forum handles, IRC names, whatever profile on Amazon, Myspace or whatnot. The fact of the matter is, you're wrong. The only identity that matters in BTC is your WOT identity, and the sooner you create it the better.

III. Do something useful. Contrary to what the noxious social proof of this forum might lead you to believe, opining left and right just because you can type is not useful, neither for you nor for anyone else. A very large post count is also not an asset. A trainwreck of braindamaged posts and ridiculous arguments is not going to help you in the long run.

Contrary to what the same noxious social proof might lead you to believe, creating "an asset" just because there exist venues which will allow it is not useful. The BTC world does not need yet another (mostly unintentional and unaware) Ponzi scheme disguised as a pseudo-bond offering, nor does it need yet another half-baked "mining operation" that's not about mining and doesn't operate.

Things that are useful and you could do:

If you don't have money but have expertise you could contribute significantly by creating a blog which reviews the matters you're an expert at. If you're an accountant you can make a blog where you review the financial statements of BTC securities. If you're an attorney you can create a blog where you discuss the various legal matters of interest to BTC. If you're a stock pundit you can create a blog where you discuss the merits and non-merits of the same. As long as you do all this impartially and fairly there is a huge untapped need for this, both direct from investors, fund managers etc, as well as indirect. If you don't have money this is in fact the best thing you can do right now for Bitcoin, provided you do it well and stick with it for long intervals. Note that BTC world doesn't need further attempts at stupid, shilling, or stupid shilling. We have plenty of those.

If you have both money and expertise you could contribute even more significantly by creating a company that works meaningfully for BTC, especially if you then list it in BTC. Your shining examples in this field are S.MPOE, S.DICE, S.BVPS etc. These are the sorts of things that make Bitcoin grow and these are the sorts of things that make Bitcoin matter. Do better.

If you have neither money nor expertise you should be "seen not heard", as the expression went about children in medieval Europe. Don't make any noise outside of politely asking questions and wisely learning from the answers you get. Also, lurk more.

That's about it. Have a pleasant stay, and always remember: you don't become a part of Bitcoin just by using the word "Bitcoin" a lot.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:33:54 PM
Last edit: September 28, 2012, 01:31:35 AM by Stephen Gornick

Familiarize yourself with the scary, evil, mean, yet awesome gpg.

Just as you wouldn't recommend someone begin using Bitcoin without first explaining the need for backing up the private keys, the same goes for GPG.

You want to export the private key and to create a revocaction certificate as well.  Then store both securely, such as on a thumb drive.

- http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html#AEN513

or

- http://wiki.openskills.org/OpenSkills/OpenPGP+Key+Backup

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

BitcoinINV

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:40:59 PM

I do not feel WOT is needed, If you do good business on this forum.

ciuciu
Donator

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 04:37:55 PM

Both the Pirate and the pedophile Mircea Popescu started with WOT. You can get a lot of ratings exchanging 10 BTC.

MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 05:26:36 PM

Familiarize yourself with the scary, evil, mean, yet awesome gpg.

Just as you wouldn't recommend someone begin using Bitcoin without first understanding the need for backing up the private keys, the same goes for GPG.

You want to export the private key and to create a revocaction certificate as well.  Then store both securely, such as on a thumb drive.

- http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html#AEN513

or

- http://wiki.openskills.org/OpenSkills/OpenPGP+Key+Backup

Both of those are good resources for sure.

This misrepresentation is very limiting for you. Of course, as long as you stick to it you'll never know.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
BlackHeartFund

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 08:02:35 PM

Excellent advice, and I don't think it sounded that dick-ish.
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 10:00:50 PM

Excellent advice, and I don't think it sounded that dick-ish.

I'm on a 7 step programme.

c0ffer

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

Gems:Crypto

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2012, 12:46:46 PM

Agreed.

I have sold lots of items and bought several as well without any exposure on WOT.

It is possible to get scammed anywhere in this community/economy.

Honest merchants will filter through the noise Wink

CryptoCurrency for Gemstones ... Website | Main Thread  -  c0c0 Trading on YoBit
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: