Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:34:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: After prunne, how to backup my wallet without dowload the full blockchain?  (Read 708 times)
maxocoin (OP)

Activity: 102
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 10:16:38 PM

Hi,

I was having space problems with my hard drive and after reading about the new block prune feature of the official client I gave it a try...

I only realized afterwords that you can use your walled with this feature enabled...  to late....  the block chain was pruned and I will need to re-download it again.

On my connection it will take days :-(

My idea is to backup the wallet and import the keys in multibit but...

Every time that I start bitcoin, it stays in the splash screen downloading the block chain... :-(

Is there a way to avoid that step and start the client just to do a  wallet backup?

Cheers
 MC

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2015, 10:21:35 PM

Hi,

I was having space problems with my hard drive and after reading about the new block prune feature of the official client I gave it a try...

I only realized afterwords that you can use your walled with this feature enabled...  to late....  the block chain was pruned and I will need to re-download it again.

On my connection it will take days :-(

My idea is to backup the wallet and import the keys in multibit but...

Every time that I start bitcoin, it stays in the splash screen downloading the block chain... :-(

Is there a way to avoid that step and start the client just to do a  wallet backup?

Cheers
 MC

Do it offline or just let it sync in the background. You can access your private keys via the console without the blockchain data.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2015, 10:22:57 PM

You don't need to start up Bitcoin Core to do a wallet backup. Instead, go to the bitcoin datadir. Copy the wallet.dat file to somewhere else and you will have just backed up your wallet file. You can no longer import private keys to multibit though. I would recommend that you use electrum instead. To get the keys out of the wallet, you need to use a tool like pywallet and extract the keys before importing them into electrum.

maxocoin (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 10:32:24 PM

Do it offline or just let it sync in the background. You can access your private keys via the console without the blockchain data.

The problem is that the client never starts.....

It stays the whole time in the splash screen.  Meaning that I can't access to the console.

Cheers
 MC
d4n13

Activity: 210
Merit: 101

“Create Your Decentralized Life”

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 10:43:05 PM

Try
Code:
bitcoin-qt.exe -checklevel=0 -checkblocks=1 -splash=0

Also look at: [Solved] How to upgraded without re-downloading blocks

I basically moved by "blocks" directory to a different volume.  Its not entirely safe since I hear power outages could cause DB tearing.  May be ok though... All my Level DB files are on the same volume.

maxocoin (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:15:15 PM

Hi,

Same problem, it started to re-index or re-download without showing the main screen...

Final solution? Deleted ALL block related files from AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin   and now is trying to download the whole thing BUT it allows me to access the GUI  :-)

Cheers
 MC

Try
Code:
bitcoin-qt.exe -checklevel=0 -checkblocks=1 -splash=0

Also look at: [Solved] How to upgraded without re-downloading blocks

I basically moved by "blocks" directory to a different volume.  Its not entirely safe since I hear power outages could cause DB tearing.  May be ok though... All my Level DB files are on the same volume.
tsoPANos

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

In math we trust.

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:27:31 PM

OP, you can export your keys from wallet.dat with https://github.com/jackjack-jj/pywallet
After that, you are free to import your keys to an SPV light wallet.(I highly recommed electrum, you have full control of your wallet.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: