Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 03:52:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: new to mining, what hardware do i need  (Read 1038 times)
stilicrafter (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 05:58:26 PM

Hallo.
I am really new to Bitcoins , and googled a bit , and found out , that you need nowadays special Hardware.
Can you tell me , what Hardware I should muse to mine my first Bitcoins?
Are these USB Miners with up to 2 GH to less , or are they optimal for a beginner?
Thanks for your answer.
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 06:20:07 PM

I'd order a GekkoScience Compac if you're just a beginner.  The smaller USB miners would do just fine as well, but they cost about the same (or even more) while being less powerful, or are very cheap (Block Erupter USB) but woefully underpowered.

That or pick up a second-hand AntMiner S3, S1 or Spondoolies-Tech SP20.  These are more powerful miners, but they are rather physically larger, require a dedicated PSU, have fans that whirrr, etc.
( There's plenty other miner models, these are just popular as second-hand options and generally available somewhat cheap. )

That is, if you want to get into beginners' mining at all.  If you're looking to turn a profit, be prepared to do the math on purchase price, upkeep costs (including electricity), expected BTC returns, any potential resale value, etc. and taking a gamble on that being a better route than just buying BTC outright, or keeping your fiat in your pocket / bank account / stocks.

g1974ak

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 06:36:13 PM

Hallo.
I am really new to Bitcoins , and googled a bit , and found out , that you need nowadays special Hardware.
Are these USB Miners with up to 2 GH to less , or are they optimal for a beginner?
Thanks for your answer.

There are an infinity of options to chose about hardware to mine. I can suggest your to stydy this link and then decide yourself. All depends on how money you have to spend. This is the link: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

Also you can do a search in google to find several articles about mining and about hardwares to use for it.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 06:52:55 AM

seeing how you want to mine with a miner that don't consume much you probably need a efficient one like the antminers s5, usb are useless they will mine an amount that is less than the worst faucets

the general rule is, is your electricity below 0.1? ok go with s3 or s5

is your electricity above 0.1) don't bother with mining at all
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 07:10:22 AM

Hallo.
Thanks for your answer.

I don't want to slake your desire to mine But i will suggest that think well before doing this and before doing any investment to mine. There are to many thing that you need to know before doing this. First of all the rising difficulty of bitcoin mining. Every 14 days the difficulty of mining (normally but not necessarily and always) go high. This mean that you will earn less and less with the passage of time. That mean that you maybe will never arrive to match your invested money. To not speak to have profits. Other things is electricity. This is a big cost that must calculate before. If worth to mine with your prices of electricity or not.

In other words. There are things that you must calculate well before decide to mine with your own.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:52:34 AM

I'd order a GekkoScience Compac if you're just a beginner.  The smaller USB miners would do just fine as well, but they cost about the same (or even more) while being less powerful, or are very cheap (Block Erupter USB) but woefully underpowered.

That or pick up a second-hand AntMiner S3, S1 or Spondoolies-Tech SP20.  These are more powerful miners, but they are rather physically larger, require a dedicated PSU, have fans that whirrr, etc.
( There's plenty other miner models, these are just popular as second-hand options and generally available somewhat cheap. )

That is, if you want to get into beginners' mining at all.  If you're looking to turn a profit, be prepared to do the math on purchase price, upkeep costs (including electricity), expected BTC returns, any potential resale value, etc. and taking a gamble on that being a better route than just buying BTC outright, or keeping your fiat in your pocket / bank account / stocks.

This is best on the market.   If your wanting a stick just to learn I highly suggest GekkoSciences product.    It is a decent price to learn BTC mining, do your own ROI math.   I might say a lot of usb miners do it for fun.

Going with a new one here is a good idea aswell.  You can get a block erupter with much less power for cheaper, but some of the old stick miners hold a surprising value.
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 11:01:22 AM

is quite tricky to answer it, because there are so many factors like your locations, cost of electricity, budget, technical knowledge and mainly, how serious you want to mine;)

if you are new to bitcoin and you just wanna enjoy the felling with setup and mining itself, just buy some USB stick or older miner in marketplace section. something under 100$, buy raspberry pi and start playing with linux

very cool threat related small miners is here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=464496.0

good luck

RichBC

Activity: 588

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 05:10:45 PM

If you want to learn best bet is to get a "real" miner rather than USB. So if you want very cheap go for a 2nd had Antminer S1, if you want to spend a little more go for the S3. Even Today an S3 with undervolt & underclock will make money. If you don't like it very little is lost and you can resell on ebay. If you like it you can take it from there.  Smiley Like most things in this World the only way to find out is by doing....

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
-droid-
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 05:39:58 AM

I think your best bet is to find a cheap S3 around $80 and start mining with that.  It's a lot more profitable than a usb stick miner. 

If you are set on a stick miner than sidehack has a really good device coming out you can grab and mess around with
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 06:45:17 AM

I think your best bet is to find a cheap S3 around $80 and start mining with that.  It's a lot more profitable than a usb stick miner. 

If you are set on a stick miner than sidehack has a really good device coming out you can grab and mess around with

Honestly USB stick miners are a different category to me.  They are more for learning and lotto.

With ROI a bigger machine normally is better as far as price per GH.   
mavericklm

Activity: 742

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 12:11:33 PM

best shit for a beginner: s3+

and after that, you can decide if it is for you!
Philipma1957onvacation

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 12:46:04 PM

The s-3 is stand alone just needs an Ethernet jack and a decent power supply.

In order to make profit 8 cents a kilowatt is good
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 12:49:26 PM

The s-3 is stand alone just needs an Ethernet jack and a decent power supply.

In order to make profit 8 cents a kilowatt is good

I would agree it really depends on price of electricity.  We can't say S3+ overall... as for some it will lose them money.  I hate suggesting to someone a device that has no chance at ROI.  Even a small chance is better then no chance.

And I agree on decent PSU.  Some new to mining use horrible PSU's the worst thing I saw in past week is like 3 year old PSU and using molex to pcie adapter.

Get a PSU that can handle what ever miner you get and get proper amount of PCIe power cables (not adapters but cables)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: