Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:37:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can i run bitcoind on live linux mint?  (Read 768 times)
RoscoGordon (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 06:31:06 PM

I am a fan of running live linux mint on my old busted laptop. Can I install bitcoind on this? Anyone got a good link for this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2015, 06:38:35 PM
Last edit: July 26, 2015, 06:10:49 AM by Muhammed Zakir

I am a fan of running live linux mint on my old busted laptop. Can I install bitcoind on this?

Yes but Bitcoind needs to communicate to Bitcoin-Qt/XT. Where are you storing blockchain data?

Anyone got a good link for this?

https://bitcoin.org/en/download

Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 06:41:19 PM

It will work but it will need to download and verify the blockchain which can take a number of days and is 25+GB in size. If you're doing this on a live environment you'll still need to store the blockchain on a drive.

Karpeles
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 06:57:48 PM

You can run anything that you could in a non-live version.

But the amount of disk and ram will be reduced. And you will have to store the blockchain elsewhere, unless you have 25 GB of spare ram in your live system
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2015, 07:00:28 PM

But the amount of disk and ram will be reduced. And you will have to store the blockchain elsewhere, unless you have 25 GB of spare ram in your live system

I highly recommend you not to post about things you don't know about and to slow down your post count and increase quality before your potential ban.

achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2015, 01:18:16 AM

I am a fan of running live linux mint on my old busted laptop. Can I install bitcoind on this?

Yes but Bitcoind needs to communicate to Bitcoin-Qt/XT. Where are you storing blockchain data?
What do you mean? Bitcoind does not require Bitcoin-qt or a gui. It is the headless server version of Bitcoin-qt.

The blockchain has to be stored to the disk, it is not in the ram. You have no idea what you are talking about.

If you want to run Bitcoind on a live system. make sure that your live media (e.g. usb drive) has more than 40 Gb of space. The blockchain itself takes over 30 Gb and it will continue to grow.

d4n13

Activity: 210
Merit: 101

“Create Your Decentralized Life”

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 02:30:46 AM

If you want to run Bitcoind on a live system. make sure that your live media (e.g. usb drive) has more than 40 Gb of space. The blockchain itself takes over 30 Gb and it will continue to grow.
^^ This ^^

I've done something with marginal similarities in Windows.  The "trick" will be to have a fully populated datadir.  The -datadir=<dir> switch.  If you choose to put you entire datadir on secondary media, then your wallet and other security sensitve data goes with it.  If on the other hand you want to split your sensitive and nonsensitive data, that can be done with symlinks, but there could be some risk to this. 

Bitcoin Core has had the ability to set the wallet file name with -wallet= for years. There is no need to rename files, and hasn't been a reason to do so for longer than your account here has existed.  You cannot change the path because if you split the BDB recovery logs and wallet file itself onto seperate media you will end up with irreparabile data corruption if there is an unclean power off with (un)reasonable probablity.
The devs have stated in the past that splitting volumes may be dangerous to some LevelDB failure recovery conditions, so be aware of that.

This is how I split volumes on my Windows machine that offers a marginally similar feature to linux symlinks.

Thread: HOWTO: Run Windows Bitcoin-Qt with Blockchain elsewhere

RoscoGordon (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 02:40:26 PM

Thank you for the responses. Yes i am going to use a usb to hold the data, as there is no hd. The original op was about bitcoind, however should i expect qt to work in a similar fashion as bitcoind on this live machine?
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2015, 02:57:15 PM

Thank you for the responses. Yes i am going to use a usb to hold the data, as there is no hd. The original op was about bitcoind, however should i expect qt to work in a similar fashion as bitcoind on this live machine?

It should. Bitcoind will require you to make a bitcoin.conf file with rpc details while qt won't. That is pretty much the only difference besides the GUI.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: