Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:45:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you support the launch of the Bitcoin Foundation?
Yes - 102 (54.8%)
No - 48 (25.8%)
Not decided yet - 36 (19.4%)
Total Voters: 185

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you support the launch of the Bitcoin Foundation?  (Read 2963 times)
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 07:17:44 PM
Last edit: September 27, 2012, 07:22:15 PM by hazek

So hard to get the opinion of the whole community. Messages r posted faster than I can read. Could u plz vote?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 05:11:54 AM

Want my opinion?

You make too many useless new topics and polls.

Who cares who supports the Bitcoin Foundation?

Supporters will support. Non-supporters won't. We don't need a thread, nor a poll, to determine this. Either you become a member or you don't. It's that simple.
Not that simple. And I care how many ppl support the Foundation. Right now it's 65%. For me it means that there is 65% chance that Bitcoin will fail.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 05:25:28 AM

Oh good, all the less competition for DeVCoin. Do you support the DeVCoin foundation?

How about the Litecoin foundation?

The Ixcoin foundation?

Well surely, at least, the I0coin foundation?

Sigh, well, what about the Coiledcoin foundation?

Ah well if not maybe its time to start a BBQcoin foundation and/or a PPCoin foundation?

Notice I didn't mention a GRouPcoin foundation? If you are against foundations, jump aboard GRouPcoin, we have groups, not foundations!

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 06:03:47 AM

Oh good, all the less competition for DeVCoin. Do you support the DeVCoin foundation?

The Ixcoin foundation?

Ah well if not maybe its time to start a BBQcoin foundation and/or a PPCoin foundation?

Notice I didn't mention a GRouPcoin foundation? If you are against foundations, jump aboard GRouPcoin, we have groups, not foundations!

-MarkM-

Don't know about DeVCoin much. Litecoin already proved it's centralized (remember that fix against BCX's 51% attack?). Ixcoin and the rest seem to be dead. Now ur OTServer is the only viable option for true libertarians. I can't explain how i'm upset with all these machinations around Bitcoin. The only good thing - it gives me more motives to complete Qubic implementation...
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 08:01:39 AM

The Ixcoin foundation?

-MarkM-

I would donate dozens of satoshis to the Buttcoin foundation.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 08:10:51 AM

(remember that fix against BCX's 51% attack?)

What are you talking about?
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 08:20:39 AM

What are you talking about?

I'm talking about the checkpoint which was used to defend against 51% attack. Of coz we can start a holywar was it centralization or not, but i'd better stay on topic about the foundation.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 08:49:16 AM

definitely, in some days I will finish my collection of my first 25 BTC and will spend this to a lifetime membership. The Bitcoin Foundation is a great step forward in the short history of Bitcoin and I'm using BitCoin since version 0.3.21 so I guess I have a debt to Gavin and team.  Wink

BlackHeartFund

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 09:36:21 AM

I support what they have said so far, absolutely. I don't think it will centralize bitcoins at all, it seems to be geared towards advocacy and organization, two thinks BTC needs more of in the USA unless we all want to end up like Julian Assange. I would much rather have your average non-BTC user think of these guys when they think of bitcoin, rather than silk road, anonymous, or Bruce Wagner. In fact I think we should have many of these types of groups, in every major country.

I will have to see a more detailed explanation of their goals and plans on how to spend the money before I pony up for a high level account though.
fbastage

Activity: 367

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 03:28:06 PM

I will have to see a more detailed explanation of their goals and plans on how to spend the money before I pony up for a high level account though.

Has anyone found their bylaws, or know where to find it?  They reference it on https://bitcoinfoundation.org/about/governance (see Board Member Requirements).
mobile4ever

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 03:20:52 PM

Who cares who supports the Bitcoin Foundation?

Me. Smiley
tgmarks
Donator

Activity: 490

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 11:56:16 PM

I think a group forming to fund development to support the community is cool.  Sure the name may be a little misleading, but despite some key figures being part of it, I don't think they could take over bitcoin if they wanted to.  Nor do I see how they could actually make it centralized any more than these individuals could try to without creating a big flashy group.

I guess what I am saying is, I think its cool, but not near the big deal people are making it out to be.

sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 10:33:51 AM

Not that simple. And I care how many ppl support the Foundation. Right now it's 65%. For me it means that there is 65% chance that Bitcoin will fail.
Because free software failed due to the Free Software Foundation?  No, wait..
Because Linux failed due to the Linux Foundation?  No, wait..

What project has ever failed due to having a foundation with a lot of support behind it?

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 11:00:24 AM

What project has ever failed due to having a foundation with a lot of support behind it?

I bet noone did. But TBF is not a foundation. It's just a bunch of ppl who wish to pickup easy money.

I'm still waiting for https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=114911.msg1240116#msg1240116, but I'm affraid I was right and MtGox did not pay the membership fee. It just uses TBF to earn money.
deeplink

Activity: 728

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 11:08:56 AM

It depends on how you define "failed" and "foundation"...

E.g. if you think of the current banking system as the foundation of our economies I argue that it has failed miserably.
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 03:19:13 PM

It depends on how you define "failed" and "foundation"...

E.g. if you think of the current banking system as the foundation of our economies I argue that it has failed miserably.
That would be two very different kinds of foundations.

Member and donation based organizations, like the Bitcoin Foundation and related foundations, built to support whatever they are constructed for.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 01:02:29 PM

Yes, it's about time. And they don't limit anyone else starting their own foundation. They are just getting more organized. I am totally pro.

more or less retired.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 07:02:21 PM

Did anyone really not see this coming?  I mean, can you really think of Bitcoin becoming big without a foundation?

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
fbastage

Activity: 367

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 02:46:32 PM

Did anyone really not see this coming?  I mean, can you really think of Bitcoin becoming big without a foundation?

Yes, by virtue of being useful and consequently used for commerce.

If the Foundation does right by the current community, they will basically grease the wheels to further the use of bitcoin for commerce as well as to combat negative press and regulatory maneuvers regarding btc.  But it's plausible that btc would become big without such a Foundation.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2012, 02:00:55 AM

Yes, by virtue of being useful and consequently used for commerce.

If the Foundation does right by the current community, they will basically grease the wheels to further the use of bitcoin for commerce as well as to combat negative press and regulatory maneuvers regarding btc.  But it's plausible that btc would become big without such a Foundation.

Currency is the biggest ponzi scheme of them all...there is no way governments are just gonna let this happen...we need people to be well equipped to defend Bitcoin and we need to organize now...otherwise, I fear Bitcoin will be crushed before it gets big...

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: