Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:24:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: No, the Linux Kernel is not like Bitcoin nor its network. Sorry.  (Read 4520 times)
Atlas (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:58:02 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto wrote most of the core protocol. As far as we are concerned, he is now defunct, gone.
Gone or not, he still owns it. Not you.
Well, see where this has been taken. Bitcoin now has a ruler, guys. Satashi Nakamoto can now tell you what you and cannot do with your money.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:13:07 AM

Wow, since all of us agree with Syke, we must be in big trouble!

There IS harm in being too vigilant. You've flown since 2001, right? There are far bigger problems to solve out there than all bitcoiners becoming mindless zombies. Don't you remember how everyone freaked out over p2sh?

What makes you think you understand human nature and implied authority better than the average bitcoiner?
Atlas (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:16:06 AM

Wow, since all of us agree with Syke, we must be in big trouble!

There IS harm in being too vigilant. You've flown since 2001, right? There are far bigger problems to solve out there than all bitcoiners becoming mindless zombies. Don't you remember how everyone freaked out over p2sh?

What makes you think you understand human nature and implied authority better than the average bitcoiner?

I might not. However, I have seen how things can be controlled through good intentions and a trojan horse of an organization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_central_banking_in_the_United_States
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:28:48 AM

Well, see where this has been taken. Bitcoin now has a ruler, guys. Satashi Nakamoto can now tell you what you and cannot do with your money.

You make me laugh.

Satoshi has provided us with a license to the source code. As long as we abide by that license, Satoshi really can't say what we do with it. But, for example, if you try to remove that copyright notice and put your own notice in place and pretend that you own it, you could receive a DMCA take-down notice for violating those copyrights. I suggest you pay attention to the license of any software you run.

Buy & Hold
Atlas (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:29:56 AM

You make me laugh.

Satoshi has provided us with a license to the source code. As long as we abide by that license, Satoshi really can't say what we do with it. But, for example, if you try to remove that copyright notice and put your own notice in place and pretend that you own it, you could receive a DMCA take-down notice for violating those copyrights. I suggest you pay attention to the license of any software you run.

You're implying I recognize any authority that comes with copyright law.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:33:43 AM

You make me laugh.

You're implying I recognize any authority that comes with copyright law.

Sure, you could choose not to... right up until they knock down your door and arrest you.  Pretending the handcuffs don't exist won't help you get out of them.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
mobile4ever

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:40:18 AM

Satoshi has provided us with a license to the source code. As long as we abide by that license, Satoshi really can't say what we do with it.

Uh oh.. is that right? We are only using bitcoin with his permission?

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 02:04:00 AM

Satoshi has provided us with a license to the source code. As long as we abide by that license, Satoshi really can't say what we do with it.

Uh oh.. is that right? We are only using bitcoin with his permission?

He has given everyone in the world irrevocable permission to use, share, and edit his code.  However, if you edit it and distribute the edited version, you have to share the code for your edits.  But, yes, he technically still holds the copyright for those portions that haven't been modified yet.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
kwoody

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 02:04:37 AM

Most people were waiting anxiously for the September announcement regarding Bitcoin thinking it'd be a good thing. Sucks that it isn't.
Who wants to bet that this is the result of Gavin meeting up with the CIA and discussing it with them?
Who the fuck is Peter Vessenes and why is he the CEO? What makes him qualified to represent the bitcoin community(nobody should have this ability save for Nakamoto him/her self)? I don't see Peter Vessenes on these forums.
I'm glad I haven't implemented the 0.7 official client. My trust in the core development team is rapidly diminishing.
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 02:07:18 AM

It won't matter if 51% of the network accepts it and imposes its rule over your funds. A fork won't matter if the foundation makes that barely feasible.

Okay, I accepted your ramblings in the beginning because you had some semi-legitimate points but now you are just exposing your ignorance of the protocol and the social ecosystem which has sprung up around it. Some of the things you are suggesting are simply not possible (hint: mining pools).
Atlas (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 02:09:06 AM

It won't matter if 51% of the network accepts it and imposes its rule over your funds. A fork won't matter if the foundation makes that barely feasible.

Okay, I accepted your ramblings in the beginning because you had some semi-legitimate points but now you are just exposing your ignorance of the protocol and the social ecosystem which has sprung up around it. Some of the things you are suggesting are simply not possible (hint: mining pools).

I am not ignorant of the perceived checks and balances people believe in. I just doubt their efficacy in the face of a cult of personality like the Third Reich and other regimes.
misterbigg
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 02:14:56 AM

I am not ignorant of the perceived checks and balances people believe in. I just doubt their efficacy in the face of a cult of personality like the Third Reich and other regimes.

Clearly you are not aware of the struggles that developers aiming to improve the protocol via "Bitcoin Improvement Protocol" proposals need to go through haggling with miners and mining pools. Plenty of evidence in the mining and related development forums. If the majority of the network does not accept a proposed change, it doesn't happen, period.

Gavin, et. al. cannot simply ignore the will of the bulk of nodes on the network in order to push changes through. Unlike any other software system the Bitcoin software evolution is very much a social activity. Just like the protocol, which implements a decentralized consensus, the development process requires distributed consensus of users in order to make changes.

From your comments it seems that you haven't read the ample information available on this subject.
Atlas (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 02:18:58 AM

Clearly you are not aware of the struggles that developers aiming to improve the protocol via "Bitcoin Improvement Protocol" proposals need to go through haggling with miners and mining pools. Plenty of evidence in the mining and related development forums. If the majority of the network does not accept a proposed change, it doesn't happen, period.

Gavin, et. al. cannot simply ignore the will of the bulk of nodes on the network in order to push changes through. Unlike any other software system the Bitcoin software evolution is very much a social activity. Just like the protocol, which implements a decentralized consensus, the development process requires distributed consensus of users in order to make changes.

From your comments it seems that you haven't read the ample information available on this subject.

I've witness all of this but it just does not bring me confidence. The Founding Father's fought off threats before but without vigilance it decays.
misterbigg
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 02:21:26 AM

I've witness all of this but it just does not bring me confidence. The Founding Father's fought off threats before but without vigilance it decays.

You're saying that you haven't had any confidence in the current system anyway, because "A Bitcoin Foundation" doesn't really change anything except put a public face on what was already going on. In light of this you should probably not be involved with Bitcoin since you don't trust the system.
Atlas (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 02:31:32 AM

You're saying that you haven't had any confidence in the current system anyway, because "A Bitcoin Foundation" doesn't really change anything except put a public face on what was already going on. In light of this you should probably not be involved with Bitcoin since you don't trust the system.

I trusted it when Satoshi was around and I was here for that. I began to lose trust when Gavin visited the CIA. We can take Bitcoin back from this.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 02:38:55 AM

I trusted it when Satoshi was around and I was here for that. I began to lose trust when Gavin visited the CIA. We can take Bitcoin back from this.

Amen, lets start writing code instead of posts! Are you with me Atlas?!

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
mobile4ever

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 02:48:20 AM

"A Bitcoin Foundation" doesn't really change anything except put a public face on what was already going on.

In your opinion, what are the chances that this new public face will maintain a "hands off" approach to bitcoin?
mobile4ever

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 02:55:10 AM

But, yes, he technically still holds the copyright for those portions that haven't been modified yet.

Wow. Thanks.

Does Linus Torvalds have a copyright anywhere in Linux?

I did a quick search and it appears the answer may be yes.

Linux founder Linus Torvalds has his own comments on the separate issue of Android potentially violating the Linux kernel's copyright, an issue raised last week.

http://www.itworld.com/open-source/140916/android-sued-microsoft-not-linux

LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 06:56:29 AM

This foundation, and any hierarchy/bureaucracy/centralization of authority in general, is a response to the highly corrupt and invalid social institutions that are the foundations of our culture. Why do we need to pay Gavin to code? Because the false institutions of money, government and religion are the dominant social institutions that affect his life, and he is not afforded the necessities of life, but must compete for them in an increasingly corrupt and deadly game of arbitrary rules called capitalism.

It takes far more effort and resources to construct and maintain an heirarchy than it does to engender and promote holography. This is the reason every such institution eventually becomes corrupt and fails.

Hopefully, the monetary game will be shown to be invalid and a new resource based economy can take its place, which will lead to a reality based society, which has no needs for false authority and associated institutions.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1093

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:17:39 AM

Actually Linus exerts quite a bit of top down decisions onto the project. He's convinced of certain things and at times rejected patches because of his personal opinion.

The fact that Obama has veto power does not give me confidence in him either. I did not get into Bitcoins to trust another person with my money.

You shouldn't use bitcoin in the first place: your money is stored in the block chain, and the chain could be rewritten by 51% of miners.

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: