Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 05:39:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seattle Fallout $15 Min. Wage: Workers Asking Fewer Hours So Not To Lose Welfare  (Read 568 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 05:02:45 PM

Seattle’s $15 minimum wage law is supposed to lift workers out of poverty and move them off public assistance. But there may be a hitch in the plan.

Evidence is surfacing that some workers are asking their bosses for fewer hours as their wages rise – in a bid to keep overall income down so they don’t lose public subsidies for things like food, child care and rent.

Full Life Care, a home nursing nonprofit, told KIRO-TV in Seattle that several workers want to work less.

“If they cut down their hours to stay on those subsidies because the $15 per hour minimum wage didn’t actually help get them out of poverty, all you’ve done is put a burden on the business and given false hope to a lot of people,” said Jason Rantz, host of the Jason Rantz show on 97.3 KIRO-FM.

The twist is just one apparent side effect of the controversial — yet trendsetting — minimum wage law in Seattle, which is being copied in several other cities despite concerns over prices rising and businesses struggling to keep up.

The notion that employees are intentionally working less to preserve their welfare has been a hot topic on talk radio. While the claims are difficult to track, state stats indeed suggest few are moving off welfare programs under the new wage.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/29616731/seattle-sees-fallout-from-15-minimum-wage

--------------------------------------------
Inescapable...

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 05:11:33 PM

http://dailycaller.com/2015/07/25/bernie-sanders-demands-15-per-hour-minimum-wage-pays-his-own-interns-12-per-hour/

-----------------------------------
His playbook. Not your playbook.

Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2015, 08:13:07 PM

This is interesting, I've seen it happen first hand too. So what do you think this will lead to - more support for even higher minimum wage? Reduction of benefits income requirements?

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 08:16:35 PM

This is interesting, I've seen it happen first hand too. So what do you think this will lead to - more support for even higher minimum wage? Reduction of benefits income requirements?

2 ways to understand the economy:

It is like a giant pizza and there won't be enough slices for all, so we need to make each slices smaller.

Or.

Each human has a pizza.

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:50:32 PM

It is like a giant pizza and there won't be enough slices for all, so we need to make each slices smaller.

Or.

Each human has a pizza.

Close but not close enough.

OLD - "A chicken for every pot."
NEW - "A pizza for every pot smoker."
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 12:55:04 AM

Or.

Each human has a pizza.

Close but not close enough.

OLD - "A chicken for every pot."
NEW - "A pizza for every pot smoker."

At the end of the day owning a little bit of land can be freedom. You can seat on your pot, looking at your chicken smoking weed, while eating a pizza...

Sourgummies

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 01:06:29 AM

Always going to be people that play the system that do not really want to work.
To me this seems like a stretch to prove a point,have to think about it and come back to this thread.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 04:51:24 AM

$15 Minimum Wage Causes Seattle Restaurants To Suffer Worse Job Loss Since Great Recession

According to a report released Sunday by the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), the $15 minimum wage has caused Seattle restaurants to lose 1,000 jobs — the worst decline since the 2009 Great Recession.

“The loss of 1,000 restaurant jobs in May following the minimum wage increase in April was the largest one month job decline since a 1,300 drop in January 2009, again during the Great Recession,” AEI Scholar Mark J. Perry noted in the report.

The citywide minimum wage increase was passed in June of last year. The measure is designed to increase the city minimum wage gradually to $15 an hour by 2017. The first increase under the plan was to $11 an hour in April. According to the report, Seattle restaurants have already faced severe consequences as a result. In contrast, in the six years since the 2009 financial crisis, the industry has been recovering in areas without the $15 minimum wage.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/10/report-seattle-restaurants-suffer-worse-job-loss-since-the-great-recession/

Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2015, 05:06:36 AM

According to a report released Sunday by the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), the $15 minimum wage has caused Seattle restaurants to lose 1,000 jobs — the worst decline since the 2009 Great Recession.

“The loss of 1,000 restaurant jobs in May following the minimum wage increase in April was the largest one month job decline since a 1,300 drop in January 2009, again during the Great Recession,” AEI Scholar Mark J. Perry noted in the report.

The citywide minimum wage increase was passed in June of last year. The measure is designed to increase the city minimum wage gradually to $15 an hour by 2017. The first increase under the plan was to $11 an hour in April. According to the report, Seattle restaurants have already faced severe consequences as a result. In contrast, in the six years since the 2009 financial crisis, the industry has been recovering in areas without the $15 minimum wage.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/10/report-seattle-restaurants-suffer-worse-job-loss-since-the-great-recession/

Why can't you find a more well known news source to cite for this news? Your claims aren't crazy, your sources are. Is it conspiracy-theory-mainstream-media keeping the right news from us? Or is it that 1,000 jobs really isn't that significant.

Ok, my bickering aside, this is really interesting news. I can't wait to see how it plays out in the debates and election commentary next year (once more data is available). It's the best case study for social economic behavior. Major city implements major reform...which way will the result point?

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 02:42:37 PM

Why can't you find a more well known news source to cite for this news? Your claims aren't crazy, your sources are. Is it conspiracy-theory-mainstream-media keeping the right news from us? Or is it that 1,000 jobs really isn't that significant.

Ok, my bickering aside, this is really interesting news. I can't wait to see how it plays out in the debates and election commentary next year (once more data is available). It's the best case study for social economic behavior. Major city implements major reform...which way will the result point?

I never claimed I wasn't crazy while my claims weren't... Cheesy

That picture alone is worth at least $15. I had to use that source.

Cool

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: