Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 08:04:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How you guys are mentioning earning from bitcoin in ITR filing ?  (Read 4927 times)
RocketSingh (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1662
Merit: 1050

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 07:47:09 PM

Like 'Bitcoin Profit', 'Earning from Digital Credit', 'CryptoCurrency Sales'... what ? Please note that, I am not asking about how to calculate it. I want to know, how to mention the earning incurred from selling bitcoin, that was earned through signature campaign ? Smiley

dashingriddler
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 08:18:00 AM

Like 'Bitcoin Profit', 'Earning from Digital Credit', 'CryptoCurrency Sales'... what ? Please note that, I am not asking about how to calculate it. I want to know, how to mention the earning incurred from selling bitcoin, that was earned through signature campaign ? Smiley

Income from other sources

CENTRA

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
        ▄▄████████████████████▄▄
      ▄███████▀▀         ▀▀███████▄
    ▄█████▀                  ▀██████
   █████▀      ▄▄▄█████▄▄      ▀█████▄
  █████     ▄██████████████▄     ▀████▄
 █████     ██████▀▀  ▀▀██████▄    ▀████
▐████     █████          █████     █████
█████    ▐████                     ▐████
█████    █████                     ▐████
█████     █████          ▄████▌    █████
 ████▌    ▀█████▄▄    ▄▄█████▀    ▄████▌
 ▀████▄     ▀██████████████▀     ▄████▀
  ▀█████▄     `▀████████▀▀     ▄█████▀
   `██████▄                  ▄██████
     ▀███████▄▄          ▄▄███████▀
       ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀

gowron

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 08:30:57 AM

Have you filed any IT Returns ever? Which form has a place to write random notes like that?
RocketSingh (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 11:21:53 PM

Have you filed any IT Returns ever? Which form has a place to write random notes like that?

No. I have never filed IT return myself. My tax guy does it. But he does not understand bitcoin et all. So, I need to explain this earning source to him. No idea how he'll put it into the ITR though.

polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:15:12 AM

Signature campaign and other 'earnings' - Income from other sources
Profit on buying & selling bitcoins - Short term/Long term capital gains.
chronicsky
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1222

Just looking for peace

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 02:36:16 AM

Signature campaign and other 'earnings' - Income from other sources
Profit on buying & selling bitcoins - Short term/Long term capital gains.

How are we to show the Long term Capital Gains ?
gowron

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 10:07:51 AM

No. I have never filed IT return myself. My tax guy does it. But he does not understand bitcoin et all. So, I need to explain this earning source to him. No idea how he'll put it into the ITR though.

Tell your tax guy you traded in an asset called Bitcoin, and that you need to show your profits as Capital Gains. Then give him your transaction history, including all Sells you did in the last financial year. If he still does not get it, tell him to think of it as a new stock scrip called BTCX and to use your txn history for comptutation. If he still does not get it, run from that guy.

If you have used only Coinsecure, you can use my tool CoinsecureCG (http://coinsecurecg.appspot.com) to compute your Capital Gains. You can print out the CG computation page and give it to your tax guy.
RocketSingh (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 10:46:43 AM

Tell your tax guy you traded in an asset called Bitcoin, and that you need to show your profits as Capital Gains. Then give him your transaction history, including all Sells you did in the last financial year. If he still does not get it, tell him to think of it as a new stock scrip called BTCX and to use your txn history for comptutation. If he still does not get it, run from that guy.
I think, by trade, it means buying & selling. But, I never buy. I earn and sell. So, I guess, capital gain does not apply to me. Everything that I have sold needs to be shown as earning. By transaction history, do you mean the blockchain Tx details ? That is Hebrew to him. I like your idea of showing it as an asset. I am planning to show it to him as 'Earning from Digital Asset Sales' and provide bank transaction details against those sales.

If you have used only Coinsecure, you can use my tool CoinsecureCG (http://coinsecurecg.appspot.com) to compute your Capital Gains. You can print out the CG computation page and give it to your tax guy.
I dont touch centralized exchanges. Sorry. LBC & 100bit.co.in are my preferred one.

gowron

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 11:32:59 AM

I think, by trade, it means buying & selling. But, I never buy. I earn and sell. So, I guess, capital gain does not apply to me. Everything that I have sold needs to be shown as earning. By transaction history, do you mean the blockchain Tx details ? That is Hebrew to him. I like your idea of showing it as an asset. I am planning to show it to him as 'Earning from Digital Asset Sales' and provide bank transaction details against those sales.

From the research paper by Nishith Desai there is some basis for considering Bitcoin profits as capital gains. That much is the easy part.  When you obtained the asset (earned / bought / mined / begged / borrowed / stole) there is a "cost of acquisition" in INR. When you sell there is a "Sale Price". The difference is your profit (Capital Gains) and taxed. That's the simplest principle. By 'Transaction History' I mean list down all the Bitcoin you sold in the last financial year. Then tell list down how you obtained those bitcoin, along with acquisition costs. Then you find the difference.

If you have mining "income" things get far more interesting, and you just need to apply some common sense in terms of what you can justify to the IT department if you are called for audit. For mining, cost of server and electricity may be considered as cost of acquisition - but god knows what the IT department will think of it... That is beyond the scope of this discussion as there are no precedents or authoritative rules on this. Safe to say this is a gray area and you are really on your own.

Disclaimer: I am not a qualified tax consultant.
RocketSingh (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 12:36:25 PM

Then tell list down how you obtained those bitcoin, along with acquisition costs.
How do I list acquisition costs for bitcoins, which are earned from signature campaign, giveaways, ad space selling, social media promotion ?

gowron

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 01:07:09 PM

Then tell list down how you obtained those bitcoin, along with acquisition costs.
How do I list acquisition costs for bitcoins, which are earned from signature campaign, giveaways, ad space selling, social media promotion ?

Your tax guy should tell you how to value an asset that was gifted to you
polynesia
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 01:17:13 AM

Think of it as a 2 step process. You first earn money through signature campaigns (which has an INR value) and pay tax on that.
When you sell the bitcoins later, you have capital gains or loss. The INR value of the bitcoins when you earned them becomes your acquisition cost.
RocketSingh (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 09:00:44 AM

Think of it as a 2 step process. You first earn money through signature campaigns (which has an INR value) and pay tax on that.
When you sell the bitcoins later, you have capital gains or loss. The INR value of the bitcoins when you earned them becomes your acquisition cost.

Do you mean I can show the INR value of bitcoins earned, at the time of earning, as my cost ? That way, those who sell immediately after earning, will never have a taxation on their earning. I dont think Income Tax authority is ever going to accept this logic. In my understanding, for something to be considered as cost, there needs to be a clear documentation of spending, i.e. debit transaction in bank account or bill/invoice for cash payment. For example, I can show my mobile & internet recharge cost as cost of running business. I have clear cash trail going out in that case. For bitcoin earned, there is nothing as such that can be shown. Though, there are some actual cost in building a website through which I earn bitcoin by ad space selling.

polynesia
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 04:33:07 PM

Do you mean I can show the INR value of bitcoins earned, at the time of earning, as my cost ? That way, those who sell immediately after earning, will never have a taxation on their earning. I dont think Income Tax authority is ever going to accept this logic.

Nope. That is incorrect. You anyway have to pay income tax on the INR value of bitcoins you earn.
If you sell them after a while and make some profit, you have to pay tax for the second time. That is when the acquisition cost comes in. If you sell immediately after earning, you just pay tax on the income (first time) and nothing by way of capital gains.
shahadil

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:31:54 AM

Spoke to some people from IT regarding taxation and they said contact CA. spoke to Ca who has said that "bitcoin not included in AS 26 which lists areas frOm which tax collected... AS such No disclosure needed". Any views?
dashingriddler
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 10:00:10 AM

From what I know, it is likely that he is wrong. Income tax is collected on your declared income irrespective of how exactly you have earned it. The way in which you have earned it being regulated / unregulated OR legal / illegal is different thing altogether.

CENTRA

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
        ▄▄████████████████████▄▄
       ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀

polynesia
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 05:17:49 PM

Spoke to some people from IT regarding taxation and they said contact CA. spoke to Ca who has said that "bitcoin not included in AS 26 which lists areas frOm which tax collected... AS such No disclosure needed". Any views?

AS26 only specifies tax deducted at source / tax paid.
You will have to classify your Bitcoin income into respective categories and then pay tax.
kdhilip75

Activity: 14

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 01:52:05 AM

From the research paper by Nishith Desai there is some basis for considering Bitcoin profits as capital gains. That much is the easy part.  When you obtained the asset (earned / bought / mined / begged / borrowed / stole) there is a "cost of acquisition" in INR. When you sell there is a "Sale Price". The difference is your profit (Capital Gains) and taxed. That's the simplest principle. By 'Transaction History' I mean list down all the Bitcoin you sold in the last financial year. Then tell list down how you obtained those bitcoin, along with acquisition costs. Then you find the difference.

If you have mining "income" things get far more interesting, and you just need to apply some common sense in terms of what you can justify to the IT department if you are called for audit. For mining, cost of server and electricity may be considered as cost of acquisition - but god knows what the IT department will think of it... That is beyond the scope of this discussion as there are no precedents or authoritative rules on this. Safe to say this is a gray area and you are really on your own.

Then as per your calculation what i earn from faucets , referrals and playing games and earn bitcoins which i collect it in my online wallet and after some days when i get enough bitcoins i sell them. Then i have to pay taxes for that also.

What if i dont sell them and go for online purchase products through Bitcoins , will it be taxable.
dashingriddler
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 07:12:01 AM

Then as per your calculation what i earn from faucets , referrals and playing games and earn bitcoins which i collect it in my online wallet and after some days when i get enough bitcoins i sell them. Then i have to pay taxes for that also.

What if i dont sell them and go for online purchase products through Bitcoins , will it be taxable.
Yes that is a taxable income.

If you keep the bitcoins, then you pay taxes considering the price of Bitcoin when you got them. Later on if you sell the day for higher rate, you pay taxes for the difference amount. If you buy a product online then it is same as selling the bitcoin for what ever price and you still need to pay taxes.

CENTRA

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
        ▄▄████████████████████▄▄
       ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀

RocketSingh (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 12:23:43 PM

From the research paper by Nishith Desai there is some basis for considering Bitcoin profits as capital gains. That much is the easy part.  When you obtained the asset (earned / bought / mined / begged / borrowed / stole) there is a "cost of acquisition" in INR. When you sell there is a "Sale Price". The difference is your profit (Capital Gains) and taxed. That's the simplest principle. By 'Transaction History' I mean list down all the Bitcoin you sold in the last financial year. Then tell list down how you obtained those bitcoin, along with acquisition costs. Then you find the difference.

Yes that is a taxable income.

If you keep the bitcoins, then you pay taxes considering the price of Bitcoin when you got them. Later on if you sell the day for higher rate, you pay taxes for the difference amount. If you buy a product online then it is same as selling the bitcoin for what ever price and you still need to pay taxes.

I beg to disagree with the second part. If someone keep their coins and purchase items/services with that, then it probably is not taxable, at least as per current taxation laws which does not specifically say anything about bitcoin. The seller will then be responsible for paying tax for his acquired bitcoin, when he tries to encase them. Hoarding & using bitcoin is probably not taxable, but selling is taxable.

p.s. I am not a tax specialist. Above statement is given on my general understanding of Indian taxation laws. Hence, those might be inaccurate. It is better to consult a specialist for accurate evaluation.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: