Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:35:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt Gox hackers selling off their $650 million - is that keeping price down?  (Read 2122 times)
ransomer (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:15:36 PM

Selling them has and will take a while - what will happen to the price when they finish selling them?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:20:41 PM

No one admits to knowing what happened even after all this time. The most convincing theories suppose that if there was a significant theft it happened in 2011/12. Even that's pure guesswork.
ransomer (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:25:41 PM

No one admits to knowing what happened even after all this time. The most convincing theories suppose that if there was a significant theft it happened in 2011/12. Even that's pure guesswork.

Regardless of when it happened, the question remains the same.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:28:14 PM

My personal opinion (based on gut feeling) is that most of that selling
already happened during the bear trend from $1000 down to $200.

My feeling is also that Karpeles was involved.

fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:28:33 PM

Selling them has and will take a while - what will happen to the price when they finish selling them?

What makes you think they are or want to sell them?
sana9821

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:34:13 PM

What makes you think they are or want to sell them?
why wouldnt they want to sell it? wouldnt you do it if you have that much bitcoins? its easy money for them now and they want to cash out as much as possible though its just my guess

ransomer (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:43:30 PM

So you think their selling off drove the bear stage, and that they now are mostly sold - and that is why we are seeing a plateu and starting rise in price again?
cryptothreads

Activity: 1274
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:49:18 PM

So you think their selling off drove the bear stage, and that they now are mostly sold - and that is why we are seeing a plateu and starting rise in price again?
We are past major dumps, there was also the 15 million worth of coins from (coinbase?) an exchange and the silk road coins, I think we should be pretty much on the up and up from here on out (not counting the little variation throughout the day)

I have a feeling you are correct on this .
ransomer (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:52:28 PM

We are past major dumps, there was also the 15 million worth of coins from (coinbase?) an exchange and the silk road coins, I think we should be pretty much on the up and up from here on out (not counting the little variation throughout the day)

I have a feeling you are correct on this .

Someone with a sharp eye on the turnover of btc could have a good idea of this... but yes you could certainly be right.

If so - then I guess we are headed up price-wise. However, probably not until after a period of uncertainty and people taking gains in small leaps (has this period also almost happened?) because of the whole rise-and-fall we have seen.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:56:03 PM

Markets don't move entirely because of a single player, even a huge player like Gox.
So I wouldn't ascribe a simple cause and effect relationship like you're asking, but
it could be a factor. Also keep in mind there is still significant selling pressure from miners. 
I do expect the havling that happens in 2016 to create major increases in price, although
that may happen somewhat prior as speculators position themselves.  So part of the bull
run now may be anticipatory in that regard, although I still expect another leg up after
the halving.

Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 10:04:30 PM

Mt Gox hackers? As far as I know, Mark Karpeles worked alone?

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 11:07:37 PM

How do you know these coins are being sold? Is there any blockchain evidence that backs this up?

Even if they are being sold, I don't really think that's what's keeping the price down, the real question lately is how the price is so high like this? Cheesy
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 11:27:23 PM

That's a good question to the point of which of the Mt Gox factors would impact the price of bitcoin the most.  There are the shock/confidence factors and then the literal supply/demand factors.  It's all so convoluted at this point.  Some people say the Chinese were dictating the price at one point.  Maybe they were with hacked Mt Gox coins.  Hard to say, really.  Maybe that's part of the appeal of bitcoin too.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
monsanto
Legendary

Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005

..like bright metal on a sullen ground.

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 06:00:51 AM

Unless Satoshi decides to dump.  Wink
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 06:50:11 AM

If the coins were really already lost in 2011/2012, wouldn't they have sold long before the 1200 peak already? Probably closer to the first real peak around the 100-260 range..
madonnino

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

I ❤ www.LuckyB.it!

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 07:00:42 AM

probably, after reading a little 'stories have come to the conclusion that it is more' likely that bitcoins have been stolen and sold long before the collapse of mtgox
Furio
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

BTC | LTC | XLM | VEN | ARDR

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 07:01:06 AM

There never were any hackers, team MTgox fucked their customers and took the money theirselves, plenty of evidence supporting that....

S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 07:01:58 AM

If the coins were really already lost in 2011/2012, wouldn't they have sold long before the 1200 peak already? Probably closer to the first real peak around the 100-260 range..

I believe that has been discussed before.
And it was said that, that is the reason for the williy bot.
It should be fairly easy (and fun) for one to go through the leaked database and check the transactions.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 09:29:35 AM

When Jed McCaleb sold Mt Gox to Mark Karpelès on 6 March 2011, the exchange held a total of BTC450,000. There is proof for the holdings at that time. However, once Mark Karpelès gained control of the exchange, the coins started slowly vanishing. By 2012 January, some BTC500,000 have been stolen. The gap widened to BTC750,000 by the beginning of 2013.

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6120

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 09:44:15 AM

It's most likely an inside job but till now no body went to jail , right ? then I guess moving them and start to selling them will make goverment start moving and do their job and they should do the necessary job to catch them .
I wasen't here when all this happened but I'd assume they don't even know the adress where all bitcoins went to for the moment ? but how a huge amount as this could dissapaear and not found on the blockchain unless they splitted them to shitload of pieces & small amounts ?  Huh

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████