Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:38:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: the blockchain will be hacked  (Read 4641 times)
errornone (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

error

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:52:39 PM

Eventually, the blockchain will be hacked.
I know it is decentralized and the hacker needed to have control over 51% of the network to 'hack' it! BUT, like any other hack, maybe there is a way we don't know about YET! Everything is 'hackable' from the moment it is online!

What do you think about this?

error
Jarx

Activity: 574
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:53:18 PM

Yeah.
Sakarias-Corporation

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Call me Alice. just Alice.

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2015, 09:55:02 PM

Eventually we will land on the sun. one day it has to become dark. then we can land.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 10:00:27 PM

I know it is decentralized and the hacker needed to have control over 51% of the network to 'hack' it! BUT, like any other hack, maybe there is a way we don't know about YET! Everything is 'hackable' from the moment it is online!

1. We don't know what we don't know.

2. You can't disprove a negative (we can't prove there is no way to hack Bitcoin)

3. It seems less likely it will be hacked the longer time goes on, as I'm sure smart people
are trying because of the monetary incentives.

Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 10:02:08 PM

I think you don't understand how Bitcoin works.

The whole idea is: essentially there is nothing to hack. Everything is public, transparent, open, and shared. Everybody knows everything. There is no feature or part in the software whatsoever that is supposedly 'hard to hack', that some day some smart ass hacker might break into.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
errornone (OP)

error

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 10:10:03 PM

I think you don't understand how Bitcoin works.

The whole idea is: essentially there is nothing to hack. Everything is public, transparent, open, and shared. Everybody knows everything. There is no feature or part in the software whatsoever that is supposedly 'hard to hack', that some day some smart ass hacker might break into.

let's be a little bit crazy here: imagine a virus that propagates through mining software and eventually reach 51% of the network silently! By that time, the 'hacker' in control, would change/manipulate the transactions...

Even if something seems safe today, that doesn't mean it will be always safe!

error
brianddk

Activity: 47
Merit: 16

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2015, 10:15:43 PM

Eventually we will land on the sun. one day it has to become dark. then we can land.
Yeah... and on that day, people will be able to crack ECDSA on their wrist watch... so any of the old folks that didn't swipe their UTXOs for the last 100 years will be exposed to the now weak, ECDSA algo.

So remember kids... don't forget to swipe your wallets in the year 2525.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 10:17:53 PM

No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZloHVKk7DHk
7bestone7

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 200+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 10:18:33 PM

but then there wont be any people...

as for the blockchain being hacked i believe it wont happen as its nearly impossible to control half of the whole network for 1 human or company

Meuh6879
Legendary

Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 10:20:15 PM

so any of the old folks that didn't swipe their UTXOs for the last 100 years will be exposed to the now weak, ECDSA algo.

http://statoshi.info/dashboard/db/unspent-transaction-output-set

UTXO expire after 1008 blocks if not incorporate in blockchain.
errornone (OP)

error

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 10:24:02 PM

thank you for that. i will watch it.

error
dopecoindude
Legendary

Merit: 1000

The Dude Of DopeCoin

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2015, 10:25:53 PM

No it won't.

It is here folks. DopeCoinGOLD . The #1 Crypto-Weed Coin.
anderson00673

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 10:36:41 PM

Here is my take on it.  If I hack the blockchain, and do something nefarious (double spends, steal coins, or whatever), then the security flaw will be noticed pretty quickly.  So what happens?  I think that bitcoins quickly become worthless.  So there is no point to hack it, because there is no financial incentive.  This is why I think hackers are more likely to focus on hacking exchanges or individual's wallets in stead of trying to hack the blockchain itself. 
brianddk

Activity: 47
Merit: 16

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2015, 10:37:56 PM

UTXO expire after 1008 blocks if not incorporate in blockchain.
Did that ever get approved?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=102355.0;all

Does that mean that million satoshi coins are expired?
H_H

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 11:02:34 PM

In my opinion the stress tests that resulted in the nodes coming to a crawl was a HACK, it showed the problem with a public ledger and minor volume.

You look at the big picture, Visa and Mastercard doing hundreds of millions of transactions a day.

A small amount of transactions compared to global CC transactions choked nodes so the system came to a crawl.

Now some want to point to the stress tests and say, we survived, others that understand it shake their head and say btc was exposed how fragile it is to just transaction volume, not total amount of coins but just minor transactions volume, who cares if it was cyber dust amounts being sent, etc, they sent minor transaction loads and the nodes took forever to process all those tiny transactions.

Now scale it up, a billion people with btc and they try to use the coins, and they put millions of transactions into the public ledger in an hour, choke, choke, choke, DIE.

Nodes can't handle global volume for a global currency, the stress tests proved that IMO.

Yet btc is still a quaint little internet currency type of thing, it has value, people use it, people support it, will it ever replace CC's? Nope the stress tests proved that.

The entire life of btc, the ledger hasn't done the transactions in number of actual transactions the big CC networks do in a day.

As soon as a group LEANED on it, it came almost to a halt, stress test was the HACK and btc failed.

What do I know? Let's see an expert top .2% ranking on #bitcoin on twitter, yeah I know nothing about bitcoin, yet in SM I'm top .2% of anyone talking about bitcoin. We covered the stress test lightly, didn't trash btc too much, but if you had a brain and read our articles on the stress test you understood it was a HACK and showed the Achilles heel to btc, the public ledger and high volume of actual transaction requests.

So in regards to the topic, will be hacked? WRONG

It was hacked by the stress tests and the volume problem with btc was fully exposed.

Couple of years ago I read a book outlining the stress test and the author explained the public ledger and volume transactions with independent nodes would be the way the system fails.

So the things that made btc, ends up being why it can't become a global type of currency that replaces stuff like CC's.

My 2 cents on if btc can be hacked is IT WAS when the stress test slowed the nodes down to quicksand speeds.

biggus dickus

Activity: 310
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 11:03:46 PM

Here is my take on it.  If I hack the blockchain, and do something nefarious (double spends, steal coins, or whatever), then the security flaw will be noticed pretty quickly.  So what happens?  I think that bitcoins quickly become worthless.  So there is no point to hack it, because there is no financial incentive.  This is why I think hackers are more likely to focus on hacking exchanges or individual's wallets in stead of trying to hack the blockchain itself. 

There was a bug in the early days that someone exploited to generate ridiculous amounts of Bitcoins. It was fixed very quickly and Bitcoin's still here. If a similar bug is found and exploited in the future it will do more damage because more people rely on Bitcoin today, but I expect it will be fixed very quickly and Bitcoin will survive it.
JWMutant

Activity: 76

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 11:08:07 PM

I have to agree that it is a impossible task. As someone said for any one group of person to control 51% is a task that will will prove very costly.
Panzzer

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 11:16:09 PM

If bitcoin is used by billions of people the number nodes will grow in proportion to the people using it. And bitcoin can still handle the transactions.
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 11:23:54 PM

Well, there are many block chains and bitcoin is just one.  But if the bitcoin blockchain were hacked in a DDOS sense then it would be devastating blow to all crypto.  The thing is that it would take a monumental effort on the part of many hackers.  I just can't see that happening.

It's like saying the population of earth will be completely wiped out by nukes.  Possible? Yes.  Probable?  No.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
dollarneed

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 11:30:33 PM

i believe that there is no system is safe, so if the blockchain will be hacked
what would happen with our bitcoin? i think bitcoin is gonna worthless
and thats why there is no best supose to hack blockchain maybe hacker more prefer to hack exchanger.
But i think there are smart people that working behind blockchain and have been thinking about the risk if the blockchain would be hacked.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: