Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:29:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Grading Coins - A Few Basic Questions.  (Read 3716 times)
m_rippon (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 06:38:09 PM

Out of interest, other than ANACS and CGS, are there any other graders that will accept and grade crypto-currency?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 11:53:46 PM

You can send the coins in air tites, and if you already have them in air tites then it is probably best if you keep them in them because if you remove them you are risking that you somehow damage the coins (even if you take precautions, use velvet gloves, etc). If you do send the coins in air tites then you will not get them back when ANACS sends back your coins
Pistachio
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 01:43:50 AM

Out of interest, other than ANACS and CGS, are there any other graders that will accept and grade crypto-currency?

ICG
mrbrt

Activity: 707
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 07:13:59 PM

Just saw this:

http://www.anacs.com/contentPages/Specials/CotM_Special.aspx
$30 off (min 10 coins submission)
rlh

Activity: 804
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 02:18:50 AM

Do fingerprints affect the grade?  I would assume so, but I'm curious.  I have a stash of WDC Antaui's and the maker didn't wear gloves while putting them in the lock tight cases.

Most have one or two finger prints.  How can I expect this to affect the grade?  Thanks guys.

A Personal Quote on BTT from 2011:
"I'd be willing to make a moderate "investment" if the value of the BTC went below $2.00.  Otherwise I'll just have to live with my 5 BTC and be happy. :/"  ...sigh.  If only I knew.
m_rippon (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 03:55:40 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has ever had a coin graded which did not receive an MS rating? I suspect not but would be interested to know. I cannot see why it would be sensible to grade a damaged crypto-coin unless it was extremely rare.
mrbrt

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 04:20:37 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has ever had a coin graded which did not receive an MS rating? I suspect not but would be interested to know. I cannot see why it would be sensible to grade a damaged crypto-coin unless it was extremely rare.

An AU graded coin might fetch a nice premium considering none seem to exist.
mrbrt

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 04:26:17 PM

Do fingerprints affect the grade?  I would assume so, but I'm curious.  I have a stash of WDC Antaui's and the maker didn't wear gloves while putting them in the lock tight cases.

Most have one or two finger prints.  How can I expect this to affect the grade?  Thanks guys.

ANACS offers a conservation service: "Choose this service to allow ANACS to remove PVC, debris, glue, stains, hazing, and other easily removed and distracting flaws from your submitted coin."

Fingerprints would likely fall under something they could easily remove.
monkeynuts
Legendary

Activity: 1251
Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 06:19:17 PM

ANACS offers a conservation service: "Choose this service to allow ANACS to remove PVC, debris, glue, stains, hazing, and other easily removed and distracting flaws from your submitted coin."

Fingerprints would likely fall under something they could easily remove.

I have previously asked ANACS about the conservation service for physical cryptocurrency coins, and its something that they do not do. But with no additional reasoning behind it ... I assumed due to the risk of damaging to holo / key, but thats just my best guess
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 2198

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 11:49:47 AM

I know that Mitchell sent emails to both last week and my understanding was essentially that they do not grade those coins.
I've asked PCGS Europe and NGC: Coin Certification Company and both don't want to grade cryptocurrency coins. I did not contact ICG though. I asked them about grading, because they are in the EU and I don't have enough coins to justify sending them to ANACS. Well, I have enough coins, but only a few of them are worth grading. Tongue

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
Goms

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2016, 06:31:27 PM

I know that Mitchell sent emails to both last week and my understanding was essentially that they do not grade those coins.
I've asked PCGS Europe and NGC: Coin Certification Company and both don't want to grade cryptocurrency coins. I did not contact ICG though. I asked them about grading, because they are in the EU and I don't have enough coins to justify sending them to ANACS. Well, I have enough coins, but only a few of them are worth grading. Tongue

I bet the rate at which cryptocurrencies fluctuate is a major reason why PCGS Europe and NGC do not want to grade them
Rubberduckie
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 08:22:04 AM

I bet the rate at which cryptocurrencies fluctuate is a major reason why PCGS Europe and NGC do not want to grade them

also those are the biggest whales in coin grading

they do so much in coins why bother getting involved with what some
may deem as fake currency etc. Also doesnt help the stigma digital currency
wrongfully gets and they may just want to stay away from the negative
publicity for a few bucks. 

monkeynuts
Legendary

Activity: 1251
Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 09:45:32 AM

I dont think the rate that cryptocurrencies fluctuate affects whether or not other grading companies will grade these coins. What do they care of the value of the coins ? They are just grading the condition of them. Value to them should be irrelevant, and would not affect the grade a coin recieves.

I agree, its more likley to be a failure to recognise them as legitimate currencies, and a nervousness of association because of some of the knee-jerk negative press that can often be associated with cryptocurrencies (no one has ever used cash to buy drugs or guns, or demanded a cash ransom, if you listen to them ....). Possibly even a degree of snobbery on their part.

On the big scale of things, the population numbers of the crypto coins is dwarved by the mainstream coin market. They clearly dont feel it represents a big enough opportunity for them commercially to pull their heads out of their narrow minded arses ...
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: