Bitcoin Forum
June 10, 2024, 10:04:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: should we make a bitcointalk TOR hidden service?  (Read 3118 times)
knightfish (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 06:08:58 AM

so i was thinking about this idea the other day... the forum is fun and all, but now with the feds flying in to do god knows what, it might be a good idea if the forum was duplicated as a TOR hidden service with fully pseudo-anonymous moderators. all PMs should be required to be PGP encrypted, since I believe PMs are the property of the sender+receiver and no-one else has the right to read them. i'm sure there are many other privacy increasing features that could be added as well, which would give power back to the people and to the forum. we shouldn't ever be at the mercy of any external authority, no matter what. just a thought guys, what do you think?
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 08:54:03 AM

What do you have to hide?
insight

Activity: 9

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 09:09:03 AM

Bitcoin is competition for:

VISA
Mastercard
Banks
Paypal
Moneybookers
SWIFT
Western Union
and a pleathora of other payment systems/solutions.

There are some really psykopathic people working at those companies who will refuse to adapt and will instead hate.

Envious

Activity: 29

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 09:54:58 AM

I think it's an interesting idea but you really overestimate the ability of people who use the internet, the majority of users don't even know search engines exist, about 90% of questions on all IT and technology related forums on the internet could be answered if they spent a few seconds searched for the question before posting, let alone how to use Tor.

Secondly the majority of Bitcoin users seem to be Hypocrites, the majority use Microsoft or Apple (companies famed for a walled garden approach to software) operating systems yet use Bitcoins so the rich elite have less power and control over the worlds money? That's something I will never understand.
knightfish (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:05:12 AM

spoken like a true statist... what was nefario doing wrong?? yet the evil fed bastards went after him anyway

in a world of corrupt goons, we are all criminals just by breathing the air...
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:25:55 AM

spoken like a true statist... what was nefario doing wrong?? yet the evil fed bastards went after him anyway

You do know nefario shut it down, no outside agency threaten, or tried to shut him down. So get your facts right.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:32:05 AM

There is no evidence whatsoever that anyone "went after" Nefario.  From the conversations with Nefario which have been posted so far, it appears that his decision to shut down was precipitated by a meeting with his lawyer where he finally realised that all the nonsense he'd been sprouting about his service having some kind of magical legal immunity because ...Bitcoins... was total bullshit.  He's not some kind of martyr who's being persecuted, he's just someone who was arrogant enough to launch his service without first gathering factual information about the risks involved.  Now that he finally has that information, he's decided those risks aren't acceptable to him.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
SEC agent

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

America, land of the free

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:35:55 AM

Hiding on TOR wont stop "the feds" from investigating people who are committing criminal acts.  If the government wants you, they will get you. TOR isn't foolproof.

"It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a Free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defense of it." -George Washington
nomnomnom

Activity: 313
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:41:45 AM

Hiding on TOR wont stop "the feds" from investigating people who are committing criminal acts.  If the government wants you, they will get you. TOR isn't foolproof.

But they will have a hard time shutting the server down. Look at the silkroad Smiley
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 04:34:06 AM

Doesnt silk road have a forum ?

Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 2130

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 04:41:56 AM

Publishing through TOR might not be enough to prevent hardcore investigation succeeding but it might be enough to stop you getting put on "a list". Problem is, using TOR probably gets you put on "a list" anyway.

Some kind of anonymous gateway might be fairly cool but the problem is anonymity is a double edged sword. Just ask (name escapes me), an old anonymous email service that got shutdown because of abuse (I want to say anonnet.fi but that's incorrect)

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
Envious

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 08:34:40 AM

Doesnt silk road have a forum ?

There are hundreds, probably thousands if you count the foreign language ones like the Chinese 'dissidents' of forums that have a .onion address.

Publishing through TOR might not be enough to prevent hardcore investigation succeeding but it might be enough to stop you getting put on "a list". Problem is, using TOR probably gets you put on "a list" anyway.

Some kind of anonymous gateway might be fairly cool but the problem is anonymity is a double edged sword. Just ask (name escapes me), an old anonymous email service that got shutdown because of abuse (I want to say anonnet.fi but that's incorrect)

Tormail, they are back now the Russian host they use to use closed down not Tormail itself.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 11:43:24 AM

I think it's a good idea. This forum is a target too easy for whomever may decide to do a crackdown on coiners (which I expect soon or later).
Regarding noobs, if they learned to open a browser, they can even learn to launch Tor Browser. It is time they do.
A major drawback is that the .onion network is slow as hell, and there is little hope that it can improve much.
Envious

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 11:51:37 AM

I think it's a good idea. This forum is a target too easy for whomever may decide to do a crackdown on coiners (which I expect soon or later).
Regarding noobs, if they learned to open a browser, they can even learn to launch Tor Browser. It is time they do.
A major drawback is that the .onion network is slow as hell, and there is little hope that it can improve much.

If more people ran exit nodes or even internal relays Tor would be a hell of a lot faster, but it's the same as Bit torrent, people just take and leech off the community and never give anything back.
shwoop

Activity: 43

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 12:12:37 PM

Becoming a hidden service would just give the site a bad rep.
I think this site benefits the bitcoin community through residing on the open web.
The wealth of information (read opinion) on here is immense and too much to lose if we intend B$ to become more widespread.
Ashkanian

Activity: 9

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:03:35 PM

I don't agree If anyone be concern about his security I think he can use VPN L2TP because TOR is very slow although it more securer than VPN but for bitcoin i think it would be enough
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:26:35 PM

If more people ran exit nodes or even internal relays Tor would be a hell of a lot faster, but it's the same as Bit torrent, people just take and leech off the community and never give anything back.

You do know running an exit node is legally draining and can put you in jail, I don't blame people who don't want that responsibility.
Spunkie

Activity: 1

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 04:49:56 PM

Seems rather pointless, it will just help perpetuate the propaganda that bitcoins are only used for illegal good and will be open to even more spammers/scammers than this forum already is.
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 04:54:41 PM

Tor hidden service would be great, but don't forget that central server is still an issue.
I mentioned this before in other thread - Look at Osiris serverless portal. Decentralized P2P solution.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 05:07:02 PM

Tor hidden service would be great, but don't forget that central server is still an issue.
I mentioned this before in other thread - Look at Osiris serverless portal. Decentralized P2P solution.

The forum doesn't need to be hidden that would kill off a lot of the community and make people not want to use bitcointalk and probably go to another forum.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: