Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:26:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-09-27 business-on.de - Economic researcher sees great potential in Bitcoin  (Read 1180 times)
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda) (OP)
Donator

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 09:24:41 AM

I posted an article to a German online magazine and they accepted it:

I wanted to create a more mainstream alternative to the sensationalist/panicky articles that we usually see, and I can't go full Rothbardian/cryptoanarchist on them either. Google translate does not do a great job in this case and I'm lazy to translate myself, so here's a quick summary:
  • Contrary to the claims of the guys from the German lobbyist group BVDW, Bitcoin does not present a problem for the monetary policy of central banks
  • Bitcoin has a great potential in creating new business opportunities
  • At the moment, the price fluctuates and usage requires a high level of technical skills, but there are indications that it's maturing
  • Potential users should exercise caution when using Bitcoin, but can use BitPay or Casascius coins to mitigate some of the risks
  • Bitcoin can be seen as an experiment and used to familiarise oneself with digital money and prepare oneself for the future where digital money might be widespread
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
matonis

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 09:34:53 AM

Nice job, Peter.

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda) (OP)
Donator

Activity: 544

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:02:04 PM

Thank you Jon,

guys like you or Jerry Britto as economists, and the "big" players in the Bitcoin industry (BitPay, BitInstant, BFL, or CoinLabs) already cater for the English speaking readers. And let's not forget the amazing reporting of Vitalik Buterin and the splendid job the Bitcoin Magazine does. For German readers no equivalent reporting exists yet, so I thought I could do that.
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 02:57:00 PM

I notice you are once again out on the Mises forums, correcting the foolish & obstinate on the nature of Bitcoin.  Nice meeting you in London, and thanks for all you do!
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 07:49:02 AM

Oh wow, it's you from the Mises forums. Thanks for ably defending bitcoin there; some of your arguments helped win me over back when I was skeptical.
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2012, 01:17:04 PM

May I have the link to the thread on the mises forum?

Thanks!

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 07:12:05 PM

May I have the link to the thread on the mises forum?

Thanks!

The most current thread is surprisingly civil and useful:
https://mises.org/community/forums/t/31743.aspx

But there's also a gazillion older ones:
https://mises.org/community/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=bitcoin
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 07:15:33 PM

Nice work, Peter.

Today, mises.ca reprinted one of Jon's essays from last year. The old guard is catching on.

http://www.mises.ca/posts/articles/air-guitars-and-bitcoin-regulation/
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 12:09:26 PM

Thanks for the replies, it's nice to see things are progressing

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: