Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 05:21:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Jindal:Westboro Baptist Church members'will be locked up'if they protest funeral  (Read 1293 times)
monas

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 200+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 11:31:27 AM

I agree with you,and what exactly are they protesting at a funeral?

These people have no grievances...they simply show up to agitate people in mourning! They're trash!

And when they inevitably get treated like trash....well.....not our problem.

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange
█████████    <<  ● Trade Over 200 Cryptos  ● Free Coins every 24hrs!  >>
██████████    <<  ● TUTORIAL: How to earn 1 btc a week  >>
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:04:21 PM

They have a right to protest like any other group.

May be. But they can take out their protest marches in public. They can't try that inside private property, where a private function is being conducted. For once, I agree with Bobby Jindal. These nuts needs to be locked up. They have caused a huge lot of mental agony to grieving families during the past few years. Time has come to end this.
Harriss

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:34:19 PM

The Supreme Court already ruled on Westboro, they can still protest outside a buffer zone between them and the funeral legally. I believe La. has such a law that implements a buffer zone, and if it's violated the demonstrators are subject to arrest.

its always tricky to word this statutes in such a way that courts see them as tolerant of the essential right to protest or express themselves, yet still achieve a legitimate government aim of maintaining civil order, and the rights of others.

Really folks, how loud do you want your neighbors to blare their stereos on their property at 3 am without a cop telling them to turn it down? Do you really care that the lyrics include social or political commentary?
KriszDev

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:35:41 PM

Some people are under a misconception that we have a right to protect anywhere and any place we like. This is not the case. We can not protest on private property without the owner's permission. Protests must also meet the "time, place, manner" concept. Personally, I feel that protesting funerals (any funeral) is the lowest of low.

agree, if the funeral is held on private property and not public property you are correct

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

no one likes this group or their beliefs, but they have the same constitutional rights the rest of us have... as long as they break no laws, not much Jindal can do sadly
rio3232

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:37:10 PM

And when they inevitably get treated like trash....well.....not our problem.

Until its a member of "your" family.
godlyitems

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:38:09 PM

agree, if the funeral is held on private property and not public property you are correct

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

no one likes this group or their beliefs, but they have the same constitutional rights the rest of us have... as long as they break no laws, not much Jindal can do sadly

Yes, as long as they break no laws. However, there are many laws on the books that prevent people from protesting whenever and where ever they want. For instance, the protest must be peaceful and they can not incite imminent lawlessness. They often must also obtain permits if the assembly is to be conducted on public property.
saddampbuh
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:39:15 PM

they're entitled to say what they want where they want. they arent doing anything illegal or holding up traffic. don't be such effeminate pussies.

Be radical, have principles, be absolute, be that which the bourgeoisie calls an extremist: give yourself without counting or calculating, don't accept what they call ‘the reality of life' and act in such a way that you won't be accepted by that kind of ‘life', never abandon the principle of struggle.
KriszDev

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:41:15 PM

I would imagine he would if they showed up at a black persons funeral chanting "God hates ni**ers"...what do you think?

I would be ok with their church burning to the ground with every one of them in it! If they want to protest then fine...do it on a street corner, not at a funeral of someone they do not even know full of grieving family members, disgusting pieces of trash!

Never seen anyone try it.... I think some people would be willing to do the time for the crime of assault if they did... but I do not think the cops could do anything about it accept arrest the assaulter
Kenchaa

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:42:26 PM

Hold on, only the government is banned from interfering in your right to freedom of speech if I'm not mistaken.

In any case people are just sick of their (*)(*)(*)(*).

I don't know if the Hell's Angels are going to counter protest this or not. If they do I cordially invite all of you Constitutionalists to go down and argue free speech with them
KriszDev

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:44:15 PM

Yes, as long as they break no laws. However, there are many laws on the books that prevent people from protesting whenever and where ever they want. For instance, the protest must be peaceful and they can not incite imminent lawlessness. They often must also obtain permits if the assembly is to be conducted on public property.

They are a group of lawyers, they seem to always stay just within the law.... that is the problem with taking any action against them

What they seem to be doing is trying to legally push peoples buttons until they act emotionally and give them reason to sue imo

Because they are a Religious group, they then can invest everything tax free and go on living their lives well off....
redandblack (OP)

Activity: 70

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:45:42 PM

I didn't say anything about censorship. I basically just said I don't give a (*)(*)(*)(*) what happens to them and whether they get arrested or not the world is gonna move on and keep spinning.

You should give a (*)(*)(*)(*) if they get arrested because it is a violation of free speech. Otherwise, don't complain if someone who doesn't like you prevents you from speaking your mind.
godlyitems

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:46:49 PM

Never seen anyone try it.... I think some people would be willing to do the time for the crime of assault if they did... but I do not think the cops could do anything about it accept arrest the assaulter

The term is "fighting words" and it is not protected under the Constitution as free speech. Protesters can be arrested if they display signs with wording that is design to incite.
KriszDev

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:47:40 PM

The term is "fighting words" and it is not protected under the Constitution as free speech. Protesters can be arrested if they display signs with wording that is design to incite.

if that were the case tea parties would of been arrest in the droves.... can you name one arrested for in incitement sign.... do not think that is easy to prove in court

as most protests often incite the other side that disagrees with them
godlyitems

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:49:05 PM

You should give a (*)(*)(*)(*) if they get arrested because it is a violation of free speech. Otherwise, don't complain if someone who doesn't like you prevents you from speaking your mind.

It would depend on where and how the protest was conducted.
rio3232

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:51:18 PM

I don't know if the Hell's Angels are going to counter protest this or not. If they do I cordially invite all of you Constitutionalists to go down and argue free speech with them

I'll do that right after you explain how westboro is in the right to the same Hell's Angels.

I doubt that is going to happen...he doesn't go around chanting "God hates F*gs" at strangers funerals.
redandblack (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:52:46 PM

I'll do that right after you explain how westboro is in the right to the same Hell's Angels.

I doubt that is going to happen...he doesn't go around chanting "God hates F*gs" at strangers funerals.

That's not the point - the idea of Free Speech is to protect people from having their voices silenced simply on the grounds that it offends or bothers another person/group. The WBC is the essence of hate and bigotry, but their right to be hateful bigots is the greatest thing about America and Free Speech.
monas

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:54:10 PM

Until its a member of "your" family.

Nah, my family's smart enough to avoid being this idiotic.

KriszDev

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:55:13 PM

And the gov through this statement alone has already threatened to deny them free speech by threatening to arrest them if they protest there... he did not say you can protest, but if you break the law we will arrest you, he said, if you protest we will arrest you
monas

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:56:20 PM

I'm very aware it would be a violation of free speech. But if we never heard from them again I'd be okay with that, most people would. Of course they're free to speak their minds, so is everyone else who will be less than welcoming of their mere existence.

So yeah, I actually DO take the good with the bad, and so should they.

fitimi

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:57:43 PM

That's not the point - the idea of Free Speech is to protect people from having their voices silenced simply on the grounds that it offends or bothers another person/group. The WBC is the essence of hate and bigotry, but their right to be hateful bigots is the greatest thing about America and Free Speech.

Still.. it would be fun to throw rotten eggs at them.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: