Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 11:33:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How will Ethereum affect BTC's price?
no effect
will increase utility of BTC, leading to higher BTC price
will drain capital from BTC, leading to lower BTC price
who knows

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How will Ethereum's launch affect BTC's price?  (Read 5190 times)
Natalia_AnatolioPAMM

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 11:25:18 AM

it won't. there is no reason of why an altcoin should have any impact on the bitcoin price. once the price is high enough, be smart and convert everything to btc directly before it's too late.

That's so reasonable. Agree wholeheartedly
slap

Activity: 564
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 11:27:13 AM

I think ETH atm (after genesis that is) only can be obtained by using BTC to buy, no fiat.
So if there will be a huge demand, there might be a small drop in BTC.
On the other hand there might be a sell of from already purchases ETH, which could cause a small spike in BTC.
My logic might be flawed.
eerygarden

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 12:05:16 PM

I think I am the first to answer the question in the title.
The launch will make bitcoin price go up. Why? I dunno.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 09:59:47 AM

I think ETH atm (after genesis that is) only can be obtained by using BTC to buy, no fiat.
On the other hand there might be a sell of from already purchases ETH, which could cause a small spike in BTC.

Why would there be a huge demand? A lot of Ether has been sold already and the funds have been locked for more than a year while bitcoins price went down the drain. I bet more people are looking to get out than there are to get in..
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 11:02:02 AM

Some guys who bought it in the IPO might dump fast after launch and convert it into Bitcoin. Others might dump for cash. Who knows...
Or the opposite, some could dump bitcoin to buy ether.

I think ethereum is something that run like NXT. ether will be a token to get allowed to register transaction on ethereum blockchain and not a "coin" (ether token could have a huge value, but not as a coin).

So bitcoin will stay as basic "coin" for average people, and ethereum might get interest from enterprises.

That is very unlikely unless the ether takes a deep dive and a few crazy ones might take a bet on it.
Ok when ethereum is something like NXT what makes it special then?
NXT is like swiss knife and has many nice features. But have a look where it is placed on cmc?
I doubt ethereum will be the big new alternative beside Bitcoin.
ceric35

Activity: 585
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 11:57:06 AM
Last edit: July 30, 2015, 12:17:38 PM by ceric35

That is very unlikely unless the ether takes a deep dive and a few crazy ones might take a bet on it.
NXT is like swiss knife and has many nice features. But have a look where it is placed on cmc?
NXT is 11, but has a better potential than bitcoin itself, but bitcoin was here before (disclamer: this is not a truth, just personnal point of view).
LTC is 2nd, and is a total copy of Bitcoin, with no innovation.

so why do you care about cmc ?

Can't known, but "ethereum" has a good marketing on non existing product (yet). NXT is running, but there is no such marketing.
Many people here are more afraid about ethereum than NXT.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 11:59:27 AM

Crypto land is a small place. There's only so many buyers and they're a pretty tired bunch these days. NXT is well established and heaves with tricked up features and that's not really going anywhere.

Ethereum does have a bit of hype, but it's also a bastard to comprehend and the IPO thing and Goldman Sachs links left a pretty nasty taste. I'm not so sure it's gonna set the world on fire. Time will tell.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 12:03:18 PM

Clever. Pump your alt coin in the Bitcoin section by asking how it will affect BTC price.

Well played Wink Wink Wink

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
MLadxrek

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 12:09:55 PM

NXT is 11, but has a better potential than bitcoin itself, but bitcoin was here before (disclamer: this is not a truth, just personnal point of view).

Can't known, but "ethereum" has a good marketing on non existing product (yet). NXT is running, but there is no such marketing.
Many people here are more affraid about ethereum than NXT.

Please define "affraid afraid"
Abbey_j

Activity: 322

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 12:32:15 PM

One year past, finally they launched it, Ether is a project based on BlockChain technology, not that matter with Bitcoin, so I don't think it will affect BTC value.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 12:45:12 PM

Many people here are more afraid about ethereum than NXT.

Ok let me get this. You claim NXT has way better potential than Bitcoin but all the VC is getting pumped in Bitcoin.
As I see it the way better future potential is in Bitcoin. Investments allow better and faster research and development.Beside that Bitcoin general media's attention. It is mentioned in every bigger economic or financial newspaper arounf the world.
I don't see that kind of investments or attention in NXT.

Don't get me wrong. I own some NXT and like it's technologies. But I also can be realistic enough to understand that neither it will ever be able to compete with Bitcoin nor will Ethereum. I hardly hardly believe that.

And what kind of marketing you are talking about which Ethereum is doing so great? Haven't seen or read of it in general media! Have you?
Yeah maybe some articles on crypto related blogs or some low viewed videos on youtube.But that's it.
Come on man! Stop kidding me!
pa (OP)

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 02:38:26 PM

Clever. Pump your alt coin in the Bitcoin section by asking how it will affect BTC price.

Well played Wink Wink Wink

I don't own any Ether. I'm interested in what Ethereum can or cannot do, though.
emelac

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 02:14:37 AM

The Kraken exchange has both fiat Ethereum markets, and a Bitcoin Ethereum market set up ready for the launch of Ethereum. There are already buy orders waiting for the first available coins. Was the IPO price 20 cents each rising to 40 cents each at the end? That's the range the USD market buy orders start at, although there aren't many yet.

Here's the Kraken markets.

Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 02:17:21 AM

Only will affect long term, if it don't fail and gets better acceptance than BTC.

For now, no effect
skeletonbit

Activity: 284

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 01:14:43 AM

Ethereum = JPMorgan coin
futurebit640

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 04:00:03 PM

None of your three scenarios seems to be plausible. I think the release of Ethereum won't affect the price of Bitcoin. By the way Sidechains probably will kill the Ethereum project or make it obsolete.
ashour

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 06:16:30 PM

None of your three scenarios seems to be plausible. I think the release of Ethereum won't affect the price of Bitcoin. By the way Sidechains probably will kill the Ethereum project or make it obsolete.
I agree that sidechains will be more useful than ethereum, ethereum has a decent hype but once the first bugs appear and sidechains are released ethereum will become obsolete. Bitcoin can survive with itself but ethereum needs bitcoin in order to survive. I don't think that the ethereum launch will affect the bitcoin price at all.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2015, 01:31:13 AM

Crypto land is a small place. There's only so many buyers and they're a pretty tired bunch these days. NXT is well established and heaves with tricked up features and that's not really going anywhere.

Ethereum does have a bit of hype, but it's also a bastard to comprehend and the IPO thing and Goldman Sachs links left a pretty nasty taste. I'm not so sure it's gonna set the world on fire. Time will tell.

Well said. Reading about Ethereum gave me a headache. Mass adoption? I doubt it.

Shiver

Activity: 248
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 04:20:25 AM

Not sure why, but everytime I think of Ethereum I get an image of Rabbit Telecommunications (in Britain several decades back).  Great idea, but just didn't get the market penetration.

bonipper

Activity: 246

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 05:56:49 AM

The devs have delayed Ethereum trading by another day.

Ethereum should have been trading a few hours ago because that's when it became possible to send coins to the exchanges. However, they asked all the exchanges to delay trading by 24 hours because they might have to roll back their blockchain. That hardly a slick, smooth start.

This is from Poloniex.

Ethereum deposits are delayed 24 hrs from 2015-08-07 03:50 UTC per dev request. The developers may rollback the chain up to 24 hours in case of an issue. As a result, the developers asked all exchanges to wait 5760 confirms (24 hours) to credit ETH deposits in case the chain is rolled back.Posted by OldManKidd at 2015-08-07 05:32:22
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: