Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:49:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So what does this chart mean for bitcoin?  (Read 3527 times)
mobodick (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
Last edit: September 29, 2012, 02:01:03 AM by mobodick

I found this nice line to bitcoin price.
But it seems systematic and not related to what's going on on the exchanges.
It's almost like a built in system.
Can anyone offer an explanation for this mathematically simple rise of minimal price?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Comodore

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:46:32 PM

This is great. It gives confidence. Cheesy
Etlase2

Activity: 798

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 08:34:58 PM

Can anyone offer an explanation for this phenomenon?

Somebody drew a line on a graph? One that is not linear and apparently not even logarithmic no less?

mobodick (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 08:40:09 PM
Last edit: September 29, 2012, 01:33:54 AM by mobodick

Somebody drew a line on a graph? One that is not linear and apparently not even logarithmic no less?
Exactly!

To be more specific, i photoshopped in a plot of the form y=x^z
Comodore

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 08:48:38 PM

Exactly!

To be more specific, i photoshopped in a plot of the form x=y^x

Hmm, You got me.
pretendo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 08:58:13 PM

I wonder if the maker of this chart drives his destinations by using the patterns of the roads behind him
mobodick (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 10:18:11 PM

I wonder if the maker of this chart drives his destinations by using the patterns of the roads behind him
This is not a thread about driving, this is a thread about why the hell bitcoin value has such a mathematically simple bottom.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 12:48:20 AM

Exactly!

So y = the x'th root of x?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 12:58:07 AM

The explanation is you can derive some lower bond curve for every possible chart.
mobodick (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 01:32:50 AM

Exactly!

So y = the x'th root of x?
LOL, yes,
brainfart i guess. Smiley

It's y=x^z and z is someting like 0.55

mobodick (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 01:35:34 AM

The explanation is you can derive some lower bond curve for every possible chart.

But could you then go on and describe this curve with one term?
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 02:13:30 AM

It's not one term. And yes you can do the exact same thing you did on every chart. Just plot Brownian motion on a chart and do it, you'll see.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 02:38:16 AM

I think this chart can best be explained with the money people put into bitcoin by converting fiat or other assets to bitcoin.
Its getting more and more over time but at a decreasing rate, because to expand the market capitalization at the beginning was cheap, to expand it by the same degree right now takes considerably more money! As with all growth processes in reality, that are restricted by finite resources (like value supply), this growth rate will finally reach its maximum, or grow increasingly smaller as the consumed resources dwindle. I think what we see here is the result of just that. It will continue to grow till a certain saturation is achieved in which mediums of value converted into and out of bitcoins balance each other out. What the function symbolyses is the sum of all value traded for bitcoin. Price can outperform this level fueld by speculation and expectations but finds it hard to drop below for some reason. It may be because holders of bitcoin still remember the value they put into bitcoin to aquire them and therefore refuse to trade them in for less. This effect, if valid, would further strenghten this bottom line and push price up.

I guess that more then the two effects are at play here and work in conjunction with one another. What they are remains to be seen.
mobodick (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 02:39:38 AM

It's not one term. And yes you can do the exact same thing you did on every chart. Just plot Brownian motion on a chart and do it, you'll see.
But what i drew IS a one term function (made with a graph tool).
That's why i think it's special.
Spekulatius
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 02:40:48 AM

No you cant. If price drops below the red line it wouldnt be valid anymore. It would rather show an average direction, which is what you can REALLY do with every chart.
mobodick (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 02:56:21 AM

I think this chart can best be explained with the money people put into bitcoin by converting fiat or other assets to bitcoin.
Its getting more and more over time but at a decreasing rate, because to expand the market capitalization at the beginning was cheap, to expand it by the same degree right now takes considerably more money! As with all growth processes in reality, that are restricted by finite resources (like value supply), this growth rate will finally reach its maximum, or grow increasingly smaller as the consumed resources dwindle. I think what we see here is the result of just that. It will continue to grow till a certain saturation is achieved in which mediums of value converted into and out of bitcoins balance each other out. What the function symbolyses is the sum of all value traded for bitcoin. Price can outperform this level fueld by speculation and expectations but finds it hard to drop below for some reason. It may be because holders of bitcoin still remember the value they put into bitcoin to aquire them and therefore refuse to trade them in for less. This effect, if valid, would further strenghten this bottom line and push price up.

I guess that more then the two effects are at play here and work in conjunction with one another. What they are remains to be seen.

Interesting!
Smiley
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 03:00:45 AM

No you cant. If price drops below the red line it wouldnt be valid anymore. It would rather show an average direction, which is what you can REALLY do with every chart.

It would just be upside down. And I can choose a smaller interval to make it fit any way I want too.

Mobodick: It has more than one term because it doesn't begin at zero|zero.
mobodick (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 03:13:05 AM

It would just be upside down. And I can choose a smaller interval to make it fit any way I want too.

It seems more likely that whatever caused this expansion simply started at that time and value and not at 0/0.
Remember that the price is a cummulative value many things influence it.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 03:23:54 AM

Well the thing is: People (including me) did that with a line on a exponential chart by drawing a line from this point straight up... that was back before the crunch. We were wrong.
This is just another iteration of the same fallacy: The belief that complex mechanics can be oversimplified and still be somewhat valid.

If we go below that curve you can simply scale that curve and have a new trend. Or somebody else comes along and makes it a polynomial or something. If we explode now in prices there will be other people who said they predicted that using some other mechanism.

Reality is different and to come up with a prediction over the next few months like you did you would need much more effort to have any more power than just random chance.
Spekulatius
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 03:29:00 AM

Hmm, I guess you are right. Too bad.

I still think may decreasing growth of value influx-theory has some substance, but it is probably applicable to a much larger time frame anyway. We are not even at 0.0001% of the potential value that may ever be converted into bitcoin. I therefore estimate the function of that particular growth to be very much at its beginning still.

The memory of traders seems to be also valid IMO, as evidence I would like to provide this graph here (switch to any time frame if you like):

The neighbouring areas of high volume seem to move up, never down (except for stark movements). From that I draw the conclusion that traders on average refrain from selling before their base price is not met. This way resistances and supports can be perfectly explained also.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: