Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 10:10:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: intersango no longer doing transaction is GBP  (Read 2304 times)
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2012, 02:29:09 PM

Do you mean you do not have any business insurance in case you get hacked?
No, I was referring to legal fiat deposit insurance that comes when you deposit funds in a regulated financial institution. As of today, no Bitcoin exchange has insured fiat deposits since no Bitcoin exchange is regulated as a financial insitution nor does any exchange partner with a financial instition for fiat storage.

Currently, all Bitcoin exchanges work the same way, your fiat deposits are pooled on one or several bank accounts with no clear funds segregation. To have insured fiat deposits would mean that every single customer has a nominative account with a regulated financial institution (not necessarily a bank though) that could either be the exchange itself, or a business partner.

I am very satisfied with bitcoin-central.net so far, but if you don't have insurance, could you describe the security measures taken to protect your customers EUR and BTC funds?
There are both organizational and technical steps taken to protect customer funds :
 - The people who have full access to the bank account are clearly identified, they have different credentials to access our bank's interface, I personnally have read-only access,
 - The software has read-only access to the bank account,
 - The vast majority of our BTC deposits are in cold-storage, with the private keys securely stored in an actual bank safe meaning it's easy to send funds there, but hard to get them out, especially at gunpoint,
 - We keep very little funds on our servers, they are operating since late 2010 and to date have never been compromised,
 - We're very serious about preventing fraud and monitoring activity to avoid having bank accounts frozen or other bank-related issues

Security is *always* implemented in a combination of organizational and technical measures :
 - If you have reasonable technical measures but weak organizational procedures you end up with the Bitcoinica fiasco (employee steals the money), or the MtGox incident from June 2011 (an auditor's computer was compromised, had access to data he shouldn't have)
 - If you have weak technical measures you end up like Bitfloor (unencrypted backup gets compromised),
 - If you don't have very good relations with your bank you end up like Intersango/MtGox with accounts frozen

That's how we run things

quantaflux

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 02:47:00 PM

Do you mean you do not have any business insurance in case you get hacked?
No, I was referring to legal fiat deposit insurance that comes when you deposit funds in a regulated financial institution. As of today, no Bitcoin exchange has insured fiat deposits since no Bitcoin exchange is regulated as a financial insitution nor does any exchange partner with a financial instition for fiat storage.

Currently, all Bitcoin exchanges work the same way, your fiat deposits are pooled on one or several bank accounts with no clear funds segregation. To have insured fiat deposits would mean that every single customer has a nominative account with a regulated financial institution (not necessarily a bank though) that could either be the exchange itself, or a business partner.

I am very satisfied with bitcoin-central.net so far, but if you don't have insurance, could you describe the security measures taken to protect your customers EUR and BTC funds?
There are both organizational and technical steps taken to protect customer funds :
 - The people who have full access to the bank account are clearly identified, they have different credentials to access our bank's interface, I personnally have read-only access,
 - The software has read-only access to the bank account,
 - The vast majority of our BTC deposits are in cold-storage, with the private keys securely stored in an actual bank safe meaning it's easy to send funds there, but hard to get them out, especially at gunpoint,
 - We keep very little funds on our servers, they are operating since late 2010 and to date have never been compromised,
 - We're very serious about preventing fraud and monitoring activity to avoid having bank accounts frozen or other bank-related issues

Security is *always* implemented in a combination of organizational and technical measures :
 - If you have reasonable technical measures but weak organizational procedures you end up with the Bitcoinica fiasco (employee steals the money), or the MtGox incident from June 2011 (an auditor's computer was compromised, had access to data he shouldn't have)
 - If you have weak technical measures you end up like Bitfloor (unencrypted backup gets compromised),
 - If you don't have very good relations with your bank you end up like Intersango/MtGox with accounts frozen

That's how we run things

What funding options do you accept from UK people? (With only a Barclays bank account and no way to verify residence according to all the documents that are acceptable for such a task on Mt.Gox (university))
AlexWhite

Activity: 12

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 02:52:45 PM

As of today, no Bitcoin exchange has insured fiat deposits since no Bitcoin exchange is regulated as a financial insitution nor does any exchange partner with a financial instition for fiat storage.

I would pay more to put my dollars into an insured account. I don't really like or trust the FDIC though so would prefer a privately created insurance. But FDIC (or whatever national equivalent, if the exchange is overseas) insurance for my dollar balance would be better than nothing.

I would pay more if my bitcoin deposits were insured against hack/theft, too.

It doesn't have to be insurance, a surety bond deposited with some mainstream institution that I trust would be sufficient. ANYTHING, so I had some idea that I would get at least some of my money back if the exchange got hacked in the time between depositing cash or bitcoins and withdrawing bitcoins or cash.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2012, 02:59:23 PM

What funding options do you accept from UK people? (With only a Barclays bank account and no way to verify residence according to all the documents that are acceptable for such a task on Mt.Gox (university))
Bank wire, about to accept Ukash, unlike some other exchanges, if we're unable to verify your account (if applicable) we send the funds back to the bank account they came from (ie. we don't steal indefinitely freeze them)

I would pay more to put my dollars into an insured account. I don't really like or trust the FDIC though so would prefer a privately created insurance. But FDIC (or whatever national equivalent, if the exchange is overseas) insurance for my dollar balance would be better than nothing.

I would pay more if my bitcoin deposits were insured against hack/theft, too.

It doesn't have to be insurance, a surety bond deposited with some mainstream institution that I trust would be sufficient. ANYTHING, so I had some idea that I would get at least some of my money back if the exchange got hacked in the time between depositing cash or bitcoins and withdrawing bitcoins or cash.
That makes sense and is a legitimate concern, if you're going to jump through the KYC loops, you might as well want to have your deposits insured along the way Smiley

OneEyed
aka aurele

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2012, 03:05:44 PM

That's how we run things

Thanks, that clears things up! You should publicize this somewhere (on a FAQ?), this is a good point for bitcoin central!

quantaflux

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 03:18:38 PM

Bank wire

I can't be bothered with ukash, is bank wire just sending money straight from my bank online like I did with Mt.Gox until they shut that down on the 25th?
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2012, 03:20:08 PM

I can't be bothered with ukash, is bank wire just sending money straight from my bank online like I did with Mt.Gox until they shut that down on the 25th?
Yes, except for the shutting down part.

quantaflux

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 04:15:52 PM

Yes, except for the shutting down part.

Is the problem, whatever it is, not on Barclays end? That's what Mt.Gox is saying, how come it will work with your site and not anothers, amount of traffic or something?
ass-burgers (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 09:24:45 PM
Last edit: October 01, 2012, 09:37:21 PM by ass-burgers

Sorry about the title on reflection it should have been more specific to those in the UK, I changed the title there hope at makes it more clear.

Apologies for any panic caused hahah

Think il go down the bitcoin-central route myself once I get cash again over spent like fuck this week
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: