Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 05:50:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: loan collateral calculator  (Read 668 times)
altcoinhosting (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 08:33:59 AM

I started lending out my BTC in a different topic on bitcointalk, and made a little collateral calculator:
http://altcoinhosting.com/loantools/collateral.php

With this calculator, anybody requesting a loan, or something else that requires collateral, can check for themself if their collateral is more or less valid... The collateral estimation should approximate the amount of bitcoin a lender can get for the collateral if he tries to resell it ASAP. This is why the value seems pretty low at first sight. I have clearly indicated that this estimation is non-binding, leaving the possibility to deny collateral or negotiate a better price between the two involved users.

I'm pretty new to bitcointalk, and bitcoin in general, so i don't know if my numbers are reasonable... This is why i started this topic (to get some input from veteran users)

IF i get good input, and can make my collateral estimator better, everybody on this forum is free to use it... So by giving me good input, you can use a decent estimator ;-)

The kind of input i'm looking for: better estimate collateral values, new forms of collateral, spellcheck,...
The kind of input i'm not looking for: gui, layout, banners, headers, technical questions (i know how to write a script, this is just a first version)

There is no bounty i'm afraid (i just don't have the funds ATM), but like i said: good input will result in a good, free tool for everybody (i might add a coinurl or a-ads banner to pay for the BW costs if my tool is heavily used)!!!

These are the estimates i currently give for accounts (format: keyword_RANK(abbreviated)_(pos/neg trust) = price in BTC)
$prijs_jun_pos = 0.006;
$prijs_jun_neg = 0.00000001;
$prijs_mem_pos = 0.012;
$prijs_mem_neg = 0.00000008;
$prijs_full_pos = 0.03;
$prijs_full_neg = 0.00001;
$prijs_sen_pos = 0.08;
$prijs_sen_neg = 0.01;
$prijs_her_pos = 0.3;
$prijs_her_neg = 0.025;

The altcoins are fetched from poloniex. Only altcoins with a volume > 1BTC/24hr are included, and i value them at 75% of their minimal ticker value over the last 24 hours

"custom" collateral is valued at 70% of it's indicated price.

I also scripted an intrest calculator: http://altcoinhosting.com/loantools/intrest.php . I can pretty easily adapt it to another lender's repayment policy for a couple satoshi's (PM if interested Wink )

DaddyMonsi
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2015, 08:52:49 AM

that's a very nice calculator
I see that there's a also a blank field for bad Standing accounts
does that mean you accept an account with bad standing?
altcoinhosting (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 09:09:52 AM

Well, yes... But as you can see in my OP, they're valued really low. I would think a negative trust senior memberaccount would still be worth something... Am i wrong about this???

Also, i would consider an account in good standing to:
  • have positive or neutral trust
  • be able to sign a message with an address in in unedited post at least 3 months old
  • have an acceptable post quality
  • has a very low risk of being blacklisted for previous posts/comments/PM's

If there is something wrong with the account (for example, the post quality is low, or they cannot sign a message), it would become an account in bad standing in my books, but it would still be worth something  Grin

DaddyMonsi
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2015, 09:49:42 AM

Well, yes... But as you can see in my OP, they're valued really low. I would think a negative trust senior memberaccount would still be worth something... Am i wrong about this???

Also, i would consider an account in good standing to:
  • have positive or neutral trust
  • be able to sign a message with an address in in unedited post at least 3 months old
  • have an acceptable post quality
  • has a very low risk of being blacklisted for previous posts/comments/PM's

If there is something wrong with the account (for example, the post quality is low, or they cannot sign a message), it would become an account in bad standing in my books, but it would still be worth something  Grin

nah i'm not saying that you are wrong, I always look at the lending section and see how the lenders ask for collateral's and set their conditions, most are asking for forum accounts with no neg trust since collateral's will be sold in-case the borrower did not pay. My understanding is if the collateral is in bad standing it would be hard for you as the lender to sell the collateral since because of bad standing. It's just my opinion and its your business and I also want to learn as well of what will be the implication or options of a lender in-case the collateral submitted is in bad standing.
altcoinhosting (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 09:57:09 AM

nah i'm not saying that you are wrong, I always look at the lending section and see how the lenders ask for collateral's and set their conditions, most are asking for forum accounts with no neg trust since collateral's will be sold in-case the borrower did not pay. My understanding is if the collateral is in bad standing it would be hard for you as the lender to sell the collateral since because of bad standing. It's just my opinion and its your business and I also want to learn as well of what will be the implication or options of a lender in-case the collateral submitted is in bad standing.

To be honest, i just started out lending out some BTC. I've never had to sell any collateral, so i basically have no idear if they would be hard to sell... I just imagined it would be possible to sell accounts in bad standing, as long as the price was low enough...

I basically estimate 1 satoshi for a bad junior account, 8 satoshi's for a bad member account, 1000 satoshi's for a bad full member account... Higher accounts than full member are worth some real BTC, since i guess i would still have a good shot at selling them for a low price...

If i get burnt (get stuck with an unsellable account), i might remove the option that burnt me from my estimator, unless i get some other feedback on this thread from veteran users Wink

subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 09:59:16 AM

accounts for collateral do not have a set-in-stone value, theyre worth what the lender considers them to be worth as they need to resell said collateral to cover the capital of the loan. however, keep in mind that collateral must be resold easily, ie liquidated. in addition, things such as post quality and market demand must be taken into consideration as well, as well as the availability of a signed message. also, what you wrote up here doesnt account for activity, just the rank of the account.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
altcoinhosting (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 10:10:14 AM

accounts for collateral do not have a set-in-stone value, theyre worth what the lender considers them to be worth as they need to resell said collateral to cover the capital of the loan. however, keep in mind that collateral must be resold easily, ie liquidated.

I do realise it's defenately not set-in-stone. I just wanted to create an estimator, since i already got a bunch of crazy offers (people actually think their newbie account is worth some BTC).
It's just a basic tool that should indicate if your collateral might be considered valid for the loan amount you're asking...
Also, i figured it could be a good starting point for loan negotiations...
For example: if you want a .5BTC loan, but my estimator estimates your collateral at .1BTC, it's not even worth spamming my thread, since you know your collateral won't be valid Wink At this point tough, you can safely ask for a .15BTC loan, altough there is a good chance i'll deny the loan since i don't think your collateral is worth enough.

also, what you wrote up here doesnt account for activity, just the rank of the account.

I tried to keep it as simple as possible for anybody seeking to get a loan. Do you figure activity is an important factor?
In that case i can add it to the calculator Smiley

Thanks for the input, keep the critisism and suggestions coming  Grin The more input, the better the output migh be

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: