Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:58:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I've just been robbed :-(  (Read 19182 times)
SuperHakka

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 10:47:37 AM

Just to add that with bitcoin, responsibility lies in the hands of the users whereby with the normal currency, responsibility lies partly with the banks and partly with the users. In the case of money theft from a bank account, there is a good chance that the user would be fully reimbursed, even if the users were negligent. The people are dumbed down in this day and age to shy away from personal responsibilty and always be finding someone else to blame, e.e. governments, banks, etc.

'First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they attack you. Then you win.' - Mohandas Gandhi
"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'Would an idiot do this?' and if he would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Schrute

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 11:51:33 AM

sincerest sympathies.

this is precisely why every backup of my wallet i've ever done isn't stored in a readily indentifiable way. i hide the compressed and encrypted (password of over 20 characters)  in another file type using a mostly forgotten about DOS command.

also it reminds me that i need to set up my brass plate etching equipment again to make "paper" wallets that are more durable.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 12:16:23 PM

Just to add that with bitcoin, responsibility lies in the hands of the users whereby with the normal currency, responsibility lies partly with the banks and partly with the users. In the case of money theft from a bank account, there is a good chance that the user would be fully reimbursed, even if the users were negligent. The people are dumbed down in this day and age to shy away from personal responsibility and always be finding someone else to blame, e.e. governments, banks, etc.
The problem is that there's no good way to keep your coins secure. It's not so much a matter of blame -- it's just that there's no good way to keep your coins secure. Every reasonable suggestion I've heard is so complicated it's just not practical. And there's no good way to balance being sure you don't lose access to your own coins with being sure nobody else gains access to them. This is one of the two biggets problems facing Bitcoin today.

Try this thought experiment: Reason out an explanation of how to securely hold thousands of dollars worth of Bitcoins such that a typical American adult with somewhat above average computer skills could understand the process and the reasoning behind each step.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 12:31:48 PM

I'll just leave this here:

http://blockchain.info/ip-address/178.140.220.181

http://www.bitbin.it/2gB4kcIa

Cdecker (OP)

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 12:36:44 PM

Thanks mate, will add this to my gathered data for the police :-)
He has since then disappeared (reconnect?)

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 12:50:51 PM

How do you keep fiat safe? That is not fool proof either. But I do agree Bitcoin still needs some time to mature. Thanks.
In many countries, banks are insured by government agencies. That's pretty close to fool proof. You can also hide fiat and/or lock it securely. Of course, that's not 100% reliable, but its risks are very easy to understand and not that difficult to reduce. People have many years of experience protecting fiat and have gotten very good at it. It's rare for a person to be a victim of a large theft of fiat.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Dansker

Activity: 740
Merit: 500

Hello world!

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 12:58:06 PM

Sorry for your loss OP.

This makes me want to rethink again how I stole my BTC.

BREAKING NEWS: Goat admits to thievery! Wink

Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 12:59:40 PM

How do you keep fiat safe? That is not fool proof either. But I do agree Bitcoin still needs some time to mature. Thanks.
In many countries, banks are insured by government agencies. That's pretty close to fool proof. You can also hide fiat and/or lock it securely. Of course, that's not 100% reliable, but its risks are very easy to understand and not that difficult to reduce. People have many years of experience protecting fiat and have gotten very good at it. It's rare for a person to be a victim of a large theft of fiat.

What's so difficult to understand about a paper wallet?

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 01:02:31 PM

What's so difficult to understand about a paper wallet?

for the technically/cryptographically clued in, probably not much. but the process of creating one in a truly secure offline manner is a whole different kettle of fish.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 01:48:57 PM

Just to add that with bitcoin, responsibility lies in the hands of the users whereby with the normal currency, responsibility lies partly with the banks and partly with the users. In the case of money theft from a bank account, there is a good chance that the user would be fully reimbursed, even if the users were negligent. The people are dumbed down in this day and age to shy away from personal responsibility and always be finding someone else to blame, e.e. governments, banks, etc.
The problem is that there's no good way to keep your coins secure. It's not so much a matter of blame -- it's just that there's no good way to keep your coins secure. Every reasonable suggestion I've heard is so complicated it's just not practical. And there's no good way to balance being sure you don't lose access to your own coins with being sure nobody else gains access to them. This is one of the two biggets problems facing Bitcoin today.

Try this thought experiment: Reason out an explanation of how to securely hold thousands of dollars worth of Bitcoins such that a typical American adult with somewhat above average computer skills could understand the process and the reasoning behind each step.

The best I know is this: http://bitcoinarmory.com/index.php/using-offline-wallets-in-armory and possibly paper wallets (a different level of trust is needed).

Any simple solution will involve trust because the common folk won't be a cryptography expert. So maybe a bunch of paper wallets made offline by trustworthy code (or code reviewed by trustworthy people). Provided no single wallet storage holds too much, it should be fine...

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 01:56:54 PM

Sorry for your loss OP.

BREAKING NEWS: Goat admits to thievery! Wink

Lol.. I meant store   Smiley

Freudian slip.

more or less retired.
kasimir

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 02:20:09 PM

I would certainly recommend wiping any machines you have, clearing any authorized SSH keys on any systems you have access to, and transferring any remaining coins you have to new wallets.

If somebody had SSH access to your system and knew a bit about bitcoins, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for them to find some local privilege escalation attack against your system and deeply embed themselves into your machine.
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 02:23:38 PM

Bitcoin is an excellent social experiment in the depravity of people.

And to the OP.  Sorry about the sick feeling in your stomach.  You have to protect your balls..errr, coins man.
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 02:36:13 PM

Bitcoin has to fight at two fronts right now. Governments & Regulations and Scammers & Hackers.
It's a bit depressing to see that it's more the Scammers & Hackers site of things which makes most users suffer.

That tells you something about the predatory attitude of people. We may have abolished cannibalism in the literal meaning, but we still have it in an economical sense.

"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 02:44:23 PM

blockchain.info wallet

The key is not being sure "nobody" gains access to them, the critical part is you know exactly who can potentially access them.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 02:53:35 PM

blockchain.info wallet

The key is not being sure "nobody" gains access to them, the critical part is you know exactly who can potentially access them.
if you have your wallet on a computer somehow connected to the internet, it's pretty safe to assume it's accessible by anybody with the proper skill set to hack into computers. The only way to mitigate the risk is to make it unattractive for thiefs, i.e. the time they have to invest to hack into your system should NOT PAY OFF (i.e. keep the incentive low). That's why I don't understand that people store >$1000 in a hot wallet.

Some services don't have a choice and they have to have hot wallets connected to the internet. However, they usually employ multi-sig and other protective mechanisms.

It always makes me sad if honest users get robbed by petty thiefs. I think one of the mission statements of the bitcoin foundation was to facilitate user education. I think that's absolutely necessary.

dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 03:33:22 PM

Great Freudian slip there Goat!  Smiley

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
WikileaksDude

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 03:39:33 PM

Bitcoin has to fight at two fronts right now. Governments & Regulations and Scammers & Hackers.
It's a bit depressing to see that it's more the Scammers & Hackers site of things which makes most users suffer.

That tells you something about the predatory attitude of people. We may have abolished cannibalism in the literal meaning, but we still have it in an economical sense.

True on this. Over the time bitcoin shall mature and hold tight aganist these people.
axus

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 04:30:49 PM

Really sorry for the OP. There's not much one can say to help the situation. These kind of problems have got to be sorted out before BTC hits the mainstream. I get the feeling that on the average, we are here are quite tech savvy compared to the the normal guy. But if a granny had her wallet.dat stolen and the tabloid newspapers get hold of it, that would be a serious blow to the credibility of bitcoin and might be irreversible.

Granny doesn't use her computer or smartphone for financial transactions, she's probably more secure than any of us right now Cheesy
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 04:50:58 PM

geez, 9000 btc... thats big money...
I feel for you man, next time dont keep it online, just print the keys encrypted, keep it safe and wipe the wallet.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: