Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:33:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Offline wallet for mobile phones?  (Read 761 times)
jacee (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 03:41:34 PM

I was wondering is there such thing as an offline wallet for our smart phones? There are a lot for pc but I haven't heard any yet if there is.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2015, 03:48:50 PM
Last edit: July 29, 2015, 05:35:42 PM by Muhammed Zakir

You can use Bither. If you have two mobiles, you can install Bither on both and use one as cold storage(never connect to internet) and the other as hot storage(and/or watch-only).

* Edited.

BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 04:25:25 PM

I was wondering is there such thing as an offline wallet for our smart phones? There are a lot for pc but I haven't heard any yet if there is.
My advice is to simply not use a phone as offline storage for any serious amounts of BTC.
You should do that at home and keep it safe, and not carry it around. Use smartphone for change money that you can use to spend, just like an actual physical wallet with some dollar bills and coins.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2015, 05:34:03 PM

My advice is to simply not use a phone as offline storage for any serious amounts of BTC.
You should do that at home and keep it safe, and not carry it around. Use smartphone for change money that you can use to spend, just like an actual physical wallet with some dollar bills and coins.

An old phone that stays offline (hence cold) is perfectly fine for that. IIRC bither does not allow outside connections if its in cold mode.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Whitehouse

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 06:27:40 PM

I absolutely agree with this. Don't keep massive amounts on a phone. Just keep your coins in a wallet offline and make several back ups just make sure your computer is safe. You can instal or dual boot ubuntu or buy a raspberry pi and just use it exclusively for your coins.

jacee (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 11:06:10 PM

I absolutely agree with this. Don't keep massive amounts on a phone. Just keep your coins in a wallet offline and make several back ups just make sure your computer is safe. You can instal or dual boot ubuntu or buy a raspberry pi and just use it exclusively for your coins.

I agree with that. Anyway I only use a mobile wallet for daily transactions. I store my bitcoins safe in my pc.
tommorisonwebdesign

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 11:27:16 PM

I only use the wallet on my smartphone when I am spending money at brick-and-mortar stores that accept bitcoin. I store all the bitcoins I earn online on my Macbook. My suggestion for cold storage/offline wallets is to seriously consider paper wallets. You can store these wallets in your real wallet as traditional fiat and all merchants that accept Bitcoin will honour them.

Signatures? How about learning a skill... I don't care either way. Everybody has to make a living somehow.
wadili89
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 07:42:34 AM

if i was you i never store any of my bitcoins in a offline wallet in my phone where i live there are alot of mobile phone snatching if someone snatch my phone my bitcoins are forever gone with it or if my mobile broke or got flased anything i loss all of my bitcoins online wallet are best for mobile users 

favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 09:51:21 AM

as far as I know you could use mycelium as a offline cold storage. check it out Smiley

jacee (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 10:15:25 AM

Do you want use mobile phones as offline/cold storage ? I won't recommended for various reasons.
First, mobile phone could get lost or snatched easily Sad
Second, mobile phone storage usually only can be used for 5-10 years
Third, mobile phone usually is more expensive than paper wallet or hardware wallet such as Trezor or Ledger Wallet

I'd recommended paper wallet or hardware wallet than mobile phone for offline/cold storage

Actually I just want to know if there is. I don't have any intention of storing a huge amount of bitcoins if ever I am using my mobile. I only use it for micro transactions. That's all. Anyway thank you for your comment.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 04:30:01 PM

Do you want use mobile phones as offline/cold storage ? I won't recommended for various reasons.

Most of the comments in this thread criticizing using mobile phone as cold storage is just BS IMHO.

First, mobile phone could get lost or snatched easily Sad

Paper wallets and almost all of the hardware wallets are smaller than most of the smart phones or their size is same as mobile phone. And you are telling me mobile phone could get lost or snatched easily? What about hardware and/or paper wallets? Is there any "protection" for them which makes it harder to get lost or snatched?

Second, mobile phone storage usually only can be used for 5-10 years

What does that suppose to mean?

Third, mobile phone usually is more expensive than paper wallet or hardware wallet such as Trezor or Ledger Wallet

You can get good mobile phones for less price than Trezor's or at a price equal to Ledger Nano's but if you are looking for a cheaper wallet, I recommend Ledger HW1.

I'd recommended paper wallet or hardware wallet than mobile phone for offline/cold storage

carlopez

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 11:00:38 AM

Ledger wallet and Trezor can actually work for your android devide.

Just check this out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BUi9trE0e4

Greetings!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: