Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:44:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: paper bitcoins coming soon  (Read 7636 times)
tehace

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 07:56:29 PM

If we get into paper bitcoins, then inevitably paper bitcoin counterfeiting will follow.

The idea behind paper bitcoins is just having a wallet printed out on a piece of paper rather than a file. Not fractional lending Cheesy so dont worry. It is safe from inflation!

DOGE: DChHzYffNDrMsM9L1GtG14cmp1NUXrEe9Z

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
drewdtom (OP)

Activity: 87

You can't stop the signal

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2012, 12:42:31 AM
Last edit: October 02, 2012, 06:46:02 AM by drewdtom

You don't need to use bitcoind. Bitcoin-qt can send to multiple recipients also.
Just press the Add Recipient button at the bottom left corner on the Send Coins tab of Bitcoin-qt.
You can add as many recipients(addresses) as you wish. It will send everything on one transaction only.

Good to know, Thanks psy, If I want to do this on a large scale I will need to find a more automated way. The batch send text that is created by the bank note application seams to be the best way to go.

What a ride it has been! Check out our Open Bazaar hosting offer at Agorist Hosting

I support Bitcoin Not Bombs!
drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2012, 12:51:13 AM
Last edit: October 02, 2012, 01:13:00 AM by drewdtom

I would love to get some feedback on this back side design, Imagine you don't have a clue what bitcoins are and someone hands you this note. Dose this include accurate information and a good stating point for the recipient?

Mike, I would be happy to update the information about your application how ever you see best.

full image: http://donttreadonmeme.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Back_BitBuck.png

What a ride it has been! Check out our Open Bazaar hosting offer at Agorist Hosting

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2012, 01:14:49 AM

I would love to get some feedback on this back side design, Imagine you don't have a clue what bitcoins are and someone hands you this note. Dose this include accurate information and a good stating point for the recipient?

Mike, I would be happy to update the information about your application how ever you see best.

YES - I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing, with one minor twist:  Your image would be the bottom half of the page.  The top would be a unique Bitcoin "Banknote" (voucher).  So in other words this would be produced by a special version of the generator that prints one unique note and the instructions into a single page (or you could just run the paper through the printer twice, once for the instructions, once for the note).  The instructions, of course, would say "cut this out and put it in your wallet, now YOU have a Bitcoin address, and can start accepting bitcoins right now!"...

Rewording: "Paper notes are NOT the safest way to transfer BitCoins because anyone with access to the private key can access the funds."  ----> "If this note was given to you by someone else, remember the private spending key is in plain sight, so anyone else who could have a copy of it can irreversibly take your funds.  To stay safe, send the funds into another Bitcoin wallet, or to a new note you printed yourself from DontTreadOnMeme.com, and never send large amounts of Bitcoins to addresses on notes that you didn't print yourself."  (intended effect: it's less scary, it's more educational, and less of a "warning this isn't safe")

Spellchecks: recieve -> recieve, inport -> import.

Correction: on blockchain.info, when you import notes, they are available immediately, not almost immediately.

Suggestion: send people to BitAddress.org if they want to print new notes, rather than bitcointalk.org.

Finally... your grey background is going to cost you a lot in toner, but the freedom to do so is, as you know, yours!

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2012, 02:38:04 AM

Thanks for the feedback,

YES - I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing, with one minor twist:  Your image would be the bottom half of the page.  The top would be a unique Bitcoin "Banknote" (voucher).  So in other words this would be produced by a special version of the generator that prints one unique note and the instructions into a single page (or you could just run the paper through the printer twice, once for the instructions, once for the note).  The instructions, of course, would say "cut this out and put it in your wallet, now YOU have a Bitcoin address, and can start accepting bitcoins right now!"...

Cool! I look forward to seeing your app grow in to new forms of paper wallets, for now Im just going to have the back side set up as a 3up PDF to match the printing layout of the PDF's created by the app and print two sides, I still need to run logistics with a print company but I think B&W will save me a few cents.

Specifically what do you call your application, is Bitcoin Bank note ok? Or should I reefer to it as a wallet generator app?

I like the term voucher as someone posted above but Im going to stick with calling my run "bit-notes"... Cuz I can Wink

thebitbabe

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 05:55:45 AM

I think this may be a good idea and I will keep my eye on the paper bitcoin
Mausini

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 11:59:34 AM

Someone else mentioned voucher as being a better term for them and they might be right.

For the sake of what kind of art I wanted designed at the time I started the "design a bitcoin banknote" thread, I did get exactly what I wanted.  But if we come to a consensus that it would be better understood as a voucher, then that's what it is...

Why not something like an airline ticket where you can rip the part with the QR code/key off?
drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 04:53:08 AM
Last edit: October 04, 2012, 06:56:31 AM by drewdtom

Why not something like an airline ticket where you can rip the part with the QR code/key off?

I like this idea, I have some suggestions for Mike on what I would like to see but first I need to get my first set going and im almost ready.

First a few questions about the options in the application.

1) Randomly generated wallet or Deterministic wallet"? (I have been doing "Randomly Generated wallets")

2) Would I be better off to check the box for "Encrypt private key" (I have not been) I think this will make it harder to redeem the BTC's and thats not what I want, Needs to be easy for new users.

3) Am I missing anything by not understanding or using the main screen of the App? "Minikey" "privet key WIF" "Encryption pass." "Private key (hex)" "Public key (hex)" "address"

I really can't say what any of that is... Im only using the "Paper Wallet Printer" option in the tools menu.

So long as thats all good, I'm ready to batch fund my first set of prints. More on that in a bit...

drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 08:06:37 AM

OK, I'm done for the night, A new friend suggested that I use the Electrum desktop client to send batch funds. thoughts?

I'm having a problem with the bitcoin client on my macbook, it stopped downlading the blockchain. I deleted the app and will reinstall it and try again. (I have other computer problems... outdated macs) Bitcoin client won't run on my faster iMac running 10.4 (Im stuck with my FCP rig running this OS)

But I wanted to share the art I have! The cost of printing will be greater than the cost of the .001 BTC I will add to the notes, I think many people miss the idea that people can justify the cost of this printing for the promotional value of the idea. I would be glad to know that someone got a warm and fuzzy felling from FreedomsPhoenix.com or DontTreadOnMeme.com if we where the group who gave you your first bitcoin and showed you how to use it.

I'm attending an event of 300-500 libertarians the weekend after this one and the cost of printing is mostly cover by FreedomsPhoenix.com and Ill be chipping in the BTC cost on behalf of DTOM. I will also be making a few more notes of greater value and selling them out of a vending machine. I want to try and do a "Bank roll" of notes and sell the "roll" of .001, .01, .025, .05 and .1 BTC notes for a few dollars USD out of what we call "The Moneylith"

Im also going to print some of the original design, I would be interested in seeing the runner ups. Thanks again for everyones help.

See the full size back side here: http://donttreadonmeme.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Back_BitBuck2.png

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 02:39:31 PM

I'm attending an event of 300-500 libertarians the weekend after this one

You ought to bring along some bitcoin chocolate!

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 03:58:58 AM

I'm attending an event of 300-500 libertarians the weekend after this one

You ought to bring along some bitcoin chocolate!

I saw this, I'll have to call in the AM and see if we could get them in time... Come join us in San Diego Mike, Ill put you on stage to talk about bitcoin.... or not, It would be nice to meet you if you just wanted to chill and take in the freedom you could do that too Smiley http://Libertopia.org

Working on better understanding of electrum desktop on win 7... I'm so close I can taste it. My new friend Julian is helping me with the command line Smiley

drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 12:50:38 AM

I'm getting so close!

MY buddy has helped me get in to Electrum and showed me a way of batch funding that may or may not be the right way for me. The command I type in to electrom looks something like this.

for /F "tokens=*" %A in (d:\Users\Drew\Desktop\DTOM_TEST.txt) do ( electrum payto %A .001 && ping 1.1.1.1 -w 3 > NUL )

My second test went better than my first (all 3 addys where funded even tho it said the second payment address was rejected by the Bitcoin network) but I need consistency, My buddy might be able to tell me what I did wrong later but two questions for you Mike (or anyone)

1. I don't want to pay a fee on every addy I send to but on just the bulk transaction to ALL addys I create with the Bank note app. Whats the best way to do this? or can I get away with NOT adding a fee to any of the transactions?

2. The file this command is calling on is created by the  bank note app, I save the addresses as a plan text file with the address listed in that file. This is the first option in the 3 options on the "save text file list" would I be better off using one of the other options and some other program/wallet?

THANKS!  Huh

Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 02:04:33 AM

"Buddy" recommends you increase the "sleep" time to avoid spammy looking spends by the stratum servers.

New command:

Code:
for /F "tokens=*" %A in (d:\Users\Drew\Desktop\DTOM_TEST.txt) do ( electrum payto %A .001 && ping -n 10 1.1.1.1 -w 1 > NUL )

Each payto takes 10 seconds. If you need it longer, increase the number in "-n 10".

drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 02:36:55 AM
Last edit: October 07, 2012, 03:06:53 AM by drewdtom

Getting closer but getting error message that it cant read wallet file...

Also, I set the transaction fee to 0 in the client but the last batch I funded in the terminal still added .005BTC

Ill try again and increase the ping to n - 15 Huh

Update: n -15 test was no good either, It funded the first addy but the rest gave me the "cannot read wallet file"

Is that a problem with the install on this computer?

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 03:36:09 AM

Does Electrum not currently offer a sendmany?

Whenever I fund batches, I just sendmany using bitcoind.  No delay necessary (unless you count all the delays associated with getting the block chain and importing private keys).  Usually avoids a fee too, since sendmany is far more economical in terms of kb than individual sends (by a factor of more than double).

drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 03:59:25 AM
Last edit: October 07, 2012, 04:12:29 AM by drewdtom

Your losing me Mike... I have successfully done this with electrum but with a lot of inconsistency, it seams straightforward but if I can't keep the process easy, Ill have to try something different. My goal long term is to show others how "easy" it is to print your own notes with detailed instructions.

Just downloaded the bitcoin-qt client on the win7 computer I'm using. (same as bitcoind right?) Ill need to understand how to do it this way if you can help with that but Ill also see if Tuxavant can answer the questions I sent him via email and keep playing with electrum.

Thanks for your help, I am a newbie but I want to make this idea work.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 05:08:51 AM
Last edit: October 07, 2012, 06:38:07 PM by casascius

Your losing me Mike... I have successfully done this with electrum but with a lot of inconsistency, it seams straightforward but if I can't keep the process easy, Ill have to try something different. My goal long term is to show others how "easy" it is to print your own notes with detailed instructions.

Just downloaded the bitcoin-qt client on the win7 computer I'm using. (same as bitcoind right?) Ill need to understand how to do it this way if you can help with that but Ill also see if Tuxavant can answer the questions I sent him via email and keep playing with electrum.

Thanks for your help, I am a newbie but I want to make this idea work.

If you can get bitcoind set up to use the command line, then you can issue transactions from the command line.

AFAIK, you do the following:

1. create a file called "bitcoin.conf" in the same folder as your wallet.dat, and this file should contain:
Code:
rpcuser=replacemewithanything
rpcpassword=replacemewithanythingelse

(Just replace the replace parts with anything, you can just mash your keyboard asdflkajsdflaksjdfalskdfj --- there just has to be something so the RPC can communicate - but can't be something somebody will guess.)

then... run bitcoin-qt in server mode.  (I think it's bitcoin-qt -server ?? can anyone confirm? I just usually run the bitcoind executable by itself and leave the GUI alone, which is why I don't know.)

then you can issue commands like sendmany.  Here is a transaction I plan to do soon to fund a bunch of Casascius Coins and 0-BTC bars (0.001) - it's a script issued by my coin tracking system that I must manually run on my bitcoin node.

Code:
./bitcoind sendmany "" "{\"196LbhD7dZPjZxiheJQ9fq9BjEBq8LJSPM\" :1, \"196nYcammMqR6L6qMRrWi8wESRGDLZ7bv7\" :1, 
\"196URrUZctbjw9hvHTBru5SKkpzw9CwZFA\" :1, \"196xQBpYofSw3vKnTbmcFM8vp7rxVvQmBU\" :1,
 \"1974ePzqCVhyHccvYdbQj4QPRdsk7CGy5M\" :1, \"1979defGUt3dhG3J1CS5sjqKyeop9wbEHq\" :1,
\"197q86DK1q7wah44d5wfb3nCZBJy8kz6rN\" :1, \"197wUaW5ZEtDjMR5GkNiENqJu217vc11ED\" :1,
 \"198JAnwDhpzpVBbJ11DtsHJ9ztCoQ2gjbd\" :1, \"198JE8Bv9ErsGwtAoYQDvqgCh3z7MgMwLJ\" :1,
 \"198mcTXXJxB2L8B4ULT2fcYLHCp9qyQ1vn\" :1, \"198NZ5QkRTkoDwNbSa64hsJzzH6RmyjHs7\" :1,
 \"198Q1HuY8jt9xkNtxx4Xg85TT2SVa9kyuj\" :1, \"198RpyALeMdAsmhbQ3cjoEeG16T5Ymr8ff\" :1,
 \"1996HAkFivvJ8xhC9dLfZ4tU2PVj8zz9mX\" :1, \"199FZwXNaK7NJtNvNe5aJaG3fHGoh47R2Y\" :1,
 \"199JimkSjfYdYoaURR3noawo14yuZ6gfag\" :1, \"199krRqsBhbKaYJZvVCvcrNfamqcJF1GQK\" :1,
 \"1AgacUuq7BffwMEteEGAYjd6dHRDdWayvk\" :10, \"1BXDy88euk9LFbxX4rkNN3GmpHwCqV76Rm\" :5,
 \"1By3FeuoxYGptUPHL6RaCp3uP1hGLRbTAY\" :5, \"1ByddcCGGQmtmixBdPSxiYzK56TrkAbMbZ\" :5,
 \"1Cq8CPZfBuUXobZQXXJXS6o5oJwutAFnZ\" :5, \"1FaGGvTQohLdsN9an44QFYAqnF6o5FricK\" :1,
\"1GC6spHQo2eXsPfT83qs97NLqsPxe4vNzL\" :0.001, \"1GcEvheN6Yh8gTJkPME9qpevaiQhH6pDPw\" :0.001,
\"1GceYWCH6onygJwkiVf4ThGWuWvgrhMR3T\" :0.001, \"1GchbBQrKCYn5LzFv9caELcfvEd3KTs2LV\" :0.001,
\"1GcismLKdKnogg7VKzAipcSbPPxYhkquDK\" :0.001, \"1GcJPR1QUw8nqHt6AnF94ZHMDNxbUhEMz2\" :0.001,
\"1GCjWYXroRtWPjVnaxDVpmEcFCVaFeKtM3\" :0.001, \"1GcKA4qfeSiP2pZVD9s5Ub7BM9TrWVKGxt\" :0.001,
\"1GCkwH4Ye3BmMrk6WsPVmwpFSUnfZK9FH9\" :0.001, \"1GCsvvE29WrGytSvCLpi4YGJK1WiVo8Eum\" :0.001,
\"1GCVKYLT1dv9kwoBTPMUx6J2bieGHbhgTg\" :0.001, \"1GcwrxJXVHjm9MQyjqyLQv712wqfToL2HZ\" :0.001,
\"1GcxeZVAmMuvpDkNufjNfKX2DZ9MkVVj7P\" :0.001, \"1GCYt5XHxJfJEL3EVGjTZNVVdFitwdDBV5\" :0.001,
\"1GDEs8u7iAsdLCXYLBsmnnh3stwsFzVvqo\" :25, \"1GDFgras9pLSMz8ped9WEfvDDdyGuDkCM8\" :0.001,
\"1GDN7y8PofLa3BLPJmSei4Gegih5AvhNm5\" :0.001, \"1Gdnz7qQK2ztVN6GCvCRR9faRMqshrcYGF\" :0.001,
\"1GdPL5DMQiNDfTACtVAfuFV9iqFbk9Tzui\" :0.001, \"1GdS4WmoXD292ej9a9pBccngEGr1iXnp8r\" :0.001,
\"1Gdwm6x7BUDCg8eAtzp5xCHeRzkHKZA7gg\" :0.001, \"1GDWuHfx7gh5jV2pZbpLWz4y49gxWKBAR2\" :0.001,
\"1GLobDnbdV53W4c4MyyCsNzx36UPz6zZJ2\" :0.001, \"1GLXRMamzDw1NMNWN57CD9hJ7spmobEjqR\" :0.001,
\"1Go7mLgr3mkUsbegUmhGjFkT5HWnfS3Qm2\" :0.001}"

EDIT: this transaction has been executed: http://blockchain.info/tx/fac8234950450c56810e223430a6fdf99eaa815a0b7d493e79741d7bc7089f8f

drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 06:02:45 AM

If you can get bitcoind set up to use the command line, then you can issue transactions from the command line.

AFAIK, you do the following:

1. create a file called "bitcoin.conf" in the same folder as your wallet.dat, and this file should contain:
Code:
rpcuser=replacemewithanything
rpcpassword=replacemewithanythingelse

(Just replace the replace parts with anything, you can just mash your keyboard asdflkajsdflaksjdfalskdfj --- there just has to be something so the RPC can communicate - but can't be something somebody will guess.)

then... run bitcoin-qt in server mode.  (I think it's bitcoin-qt -server ?? can anyone confirm? I just usually run the bitcoind executable by itself and leave the GUI alone, which is why I don't know.)

I got the config file in the right folder and opened bitcoind (located in the "daemon" folder) The app opens a command line terminal but I can't type anything in?

An error message told me I should set the "rpcuser" to "bitcoinrpc" and the "rcppassword" to a "HQbbVY... Bla...Bla...Bla"

So I did, only I just mashed my keyboard on the password part like you said.

I'm a bit lost reading this wiki page, do I need any other command lines in the config file"?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin#Command-line_arguments

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 05:56:16 PM

Just looking at the wiki page, it looks like you could also add

Code:
server=1

and then never have to worry about running bitcoin-qt in server mode, as apparently it will always run that way with this.  Never tried it though.

So, if you have rpcuser, rpcpassword, and server, AND as long as bitcoin-qt is open, running, and connected, you should be able to drop to a terminal window and execute the sendmany command.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 06:16:16 PM

Just looking at the wiki page, it looks like you could also add

Code:
server=1

and then never have to worry about running bitcoin-qt in server mode, as apparently it will always run that way with this.  Never tried it though.

Yes, it does work like you described. I tried it plenty of times already Wink
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: