50 BTC lost because of blank passphrase
<< < (2/16) > >>
PolarPoint:
Quote from: gentlemand on July 29, 2015, 10:07:44 PM

I was under the impression there are bots out there dedicated to scanning for obvious brain wallets. That's the most obvious one of all by the sounds of it. Goodnight, sweet coins.

There are bots which scans famous quotes, bible quotes, song lyrics, everything a person can think of plus small mutations. I feel sorry for anyone who lost coins this way. Any brainwallet generated from phrases just aren't safe, people have to learn their lesson the hard way.
unamis76:
Quote from: GermanGiant on July 29, 2015, 10:05:30 PM

Quote from: unamis76 on July 29, 2015, 10:03:05 PM

This is a known address, it's the default example from brainwallet. The person who sent it there either made a donation to the wrong address or made a big mistake, unfortunately.

Since it was probably a mistake, it should be returned, but we all know that doesn't happen (much often...). I guess we live and learn, unfortunately the amount of coins was significant.

It is also possible that the guy swiped the coins himself. But, as I can see, even after 80+ confirmation blockchain.info is showing the outgoing Tx as double spend.

Yes, that's a possibility too, but a very optimistic one :D

Quote from: unamis76 on July 29, 2015, 10:03:05 PM

Since it was probably a mistake, it should be returned, but we all know that doesn't happen (much often...).

I was under the impression there are bots out there dedicated to scanning for obvious brain wallets. That's the most obvious one of all by the sounds of it. Goodnight, sweet coins.

I don't really get why anyone indulges in them.

Yes, bots exist... People are after free and easy coins, I guess... ::)
Remember remember the 5th of November:
I am envious.
oblivi:
Quote from: PolarPoint on July 29, 2015, 10:33:26 PM

There are bots which scans famous quotes, bible quotes, song lyrics, everything a person can think of plus small mutations. I feel sorry for anyone who lost coins this way. Any brainwallet generated from phrases just aren't safe, people have to learn their lesson the hard way.

Thats why I would never, ever store my main stack within something that can be generated out of thin air. There's no way im ever moving my coins from my local offline hardware unless I want to have spare BTC on my mycellium wallet. Brainwallet sounds good but better stay a paranoid and go good ol offline.
Nexious:
It was a well known brain wallet address, either it was a mistake or done on purpose. If it was a mistake I feel sorry for the person, but sending that large amounts you would double check everything before you sent.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page