Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 03:06:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: China Wants To Rewrite Global Internet Rules  (Read 717 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 10:40:57 PM

China wants to reinvent the internet: Superpower aims to run part of the net on its own terms and police social media
WSJ report suggests China wants to exert influence over every part of the tech industry from social media to semi-conductors
Web content could be policed and effectively censored under new plans
Its move is in stark-contrast to the views of Tim Berners-Lee, the creator of the web, who has called for its freedoms to be safeguarded

China has in the past banned sites such as Facebook and Twitter and filtered online content using the ‘Great Firewall’.

Now its government is reportedly trying to redesign the internet so it can police parts of it on its own terms.

A report suggests China wants to exert influence over every part of the tech industry and web in the country, from social media to semi-conductors.

Its move is in stark-contrast to the views of Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the creator of the web, who has called for its freedoms to be safeguarded.

The ‘father of the web’ has previously said: ‘The original design of the web…was for a universal space, we didn't have a particular computer in mind or browser, or language.

‘When you make something universal… it can be used for good things or nasty things… we just have to make sure it's not undercut by any large companies or governments trying to use it and get total control.’

A report by The Wall Street Journal suggests President Xi Jinping intends on fracturing the international system that enables content to be shared freely online around the world. 

Under the plans, website content would be patrolled by the government.

A draft law has been passed aiming to tighten controls over the domestic internet, including the power to cut all access during security emergencies.

Other draft laws that are being considered include terms that could force foreign tech companies to hand local authorities encryption keys to take control of devices.

The Cyberspace Administration of China declined to comment on the publication’s article.

SIR TIM BERNERS-LEE'S CALL FOR A DIGITAL 'MAGNA CARTA'

World wide web creator Sir Tim Berners-Lee called for a digital 'Magna Carta' to enshrine the rights of users across the world on the 25th anniversary of his proposal for the web.

Sir Tim said that a digital bill of rights should be introduced to ensure that the web should be accessible to all and the principles that have made it successful defended.

Speaking last year, he said: 'I hope this anniversary will spark a global conversation about our need to defend principles that have made the web successful, and to unlock the web's untapped potential.

'I believe we can build a web that truly is for everyone: one that is accessible to all, from any device, and one that empowers all of us to achieve our dignity, rights and potential as humans.'

Sir Tim told the BBC that people should take a stand against surveillance.

'He said: 'It's time for us to make a big communal decision. In front of us are two roads - which way are we going to go?

'Are we going to continue on the road and just allow the governments to do more and more and more control - more and more surveillance?

'Or are we going to set up a bunch of values? Are we going to set up something like a Magna Carta for the world wide web and say, actually, now it's so important, so much part of our lives, that it becomes on a level with human rights?'

Calling for increased vigilance against surveillance so people can use the internet without feeling 'somebody's looking over our shoulder', he added: 'The people of the world have to be constantly aware, constantly looking out for it - constantly making sure through action, protest, that it doesn't happen.'

In 2013 the five people who invented the internet as we know it - Robert Kahn, Vinton Cerf, Louis Pouzin, Tim Berners and Marc Andreessen -were awarded the first Queen Elizabeth prize for Engineering.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3178430/China-wants-reinvent-internet-Superpower-aims-run-net-terms-police-social-media.html

----------------------------------------------------------
Remember kids: communism has NEVER invented a good thing for humanity. It only destroys what others have created to make it... "better".

bt62567

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 04:07:24 AM

I cant figure out the underlying bias behind some of these things, other than a few irrelevant specific things. Just briefly thinking however. This direction is quite confusing and counter intuitive from my own opinion, if someone could comment that has any idea or more insight please share. Also this seems very vague and misleading.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 02:13:25 PM

I cant figure out the underlying bias behind some of these things, other than a few irrelevant specific things. Just briefly thinking however. This direction is quite confusing and counter intuitive from my own opinion, if someone could comment that has any idea or more insight please share. Also this seems very vague and misleading.

What you wrote is nonsensical. It is a purée of words... Did you copy paste this from a random text generator? Very vague and misleading. Indeed!

Grin Cheesy Grin

bt62567

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 02:29:00 AM

What you wrote is nonsensical. It is a purée of words... Did you copy paste this from a random text generator? Very vague and misleading. Indeed!

Grin Cheesy Grin

you must be irritated i am posting. what i wrote is beyond elementary..  you definitely quoted the wrong person given your troll esque way of communincating. I could easily post something however in english that is perfectly sensible, but maybe not to you  Cheesy
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 02:44:05 AM

Grin Cheesy Grin

you must be irritated i am posting. what i wrote is beyond elementary..  you definitely quoted the wrong person given your troll esque way of communincating. I could easily post something however in english that is perfectly sensible, but maybe not to you  Cheesy

What you posted was soooooooooooooooooo vague. It could have been a comment on anything. I laughed. I was not irritated, au contraire. You are welcome to share what you feel about china and its position on splitting the internet, the topic of this thread by the way.

Smiley

Ingatqhvq

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 10:24:55 AM

Don't afraid such things, there is no market for China. Only the dictator ship country like that.

apollofire

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 12:43:21 PM

Not a single country has a monopoly over Internet. China should focus to fix his economic situation as its going from bad to worst.

I am still Selling.

Email: thecableguy.livetv@gmail.com
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 02:38:10 PM

Not a single country has a monopoly over Internet. China should focus to fix his economic situation as its going from bad to worst.

Yep.

Ordos, China: A Modern Ghost Town

http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1975397_2094492,00.html

panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 04:44:36 PM

Another boost for tor and TAILS?
The Chinese (and other) government should realize that they are fighting a losing battle.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 04:51:31 PM

Another boost for tor and TAILS?
The Chinese (and other) government should realize that they are fighting a losing battle.

Unless they control your router?

New FCC Rules May Prevent Installing OpenWRT on WiFi Routers

The new FCC rules are in effect in the United States from June 2nd 2015 for WiFi devices such as Access Points. They require to have the firmware locked down so End-Users can’t operate with non-compliant parameters (channels/frequencies, transmit power, DFS, …). In response, WiFi access point vendors start to lock down firmwares to prevent custom firmwares (such as OpenWRT) to be installed, using code signing, etc. Since the same type of devices are often sold world wide, this change does not only affect routers in the US, but also Europe, and this will also effect wireless communities.
We would like to discuss:

What are your experiences with recently certified WiFi Hardware?
How can we still keep OpenWRT on these devices?
What can we suggest to Hardware vendors so that they keep their firmware open for community projects while still compliant with the FCC?
The rule in question is listed on the FCC website with the question “What are the software security requirements for non-SDR devices and what limitations apply to software configuration control for such devices?” and the critical part of the answer being “require all devices to implement software security to ensure that the devices operate as authorized and cannot be modified“.

It will be interesting to see how all this develops, and whether it will have some real consequences on the hackability of access points.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/07/27/new-fcc-rules-may-prevent-installing-openwrt-on-wifi-routers/

PolarPoint

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 05:27:44 PM

China can control it's domestic part of the internet. It cannot control the rest of the world. Chinese citizens are more knowledgable now, they know how to use vpn to bypass the Great Firewall. The Chinese government will not succeed. They have to understand a domestic Internet lockdown will do them no good in this era.
msc_de

Activity: 770

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 06:29:02 PM

BULLSHIT DREAM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: