Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:53:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you freely give your passport / drivers license for KYC requirements?
KYC is fine.. Everyone does it. - 8 (29.6%)
I refuse to do buisness with a company requiring it. - 19 (70.4%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Accept KYC or jump through hoops to avoid it?  (Read 1005 times)
brianddk (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 16

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 02:42:22 AM

I'm Don Quixote and KYC is my windmill.

I've been refusing to give Paypal my passport / DL / Electric Bill for about 4 years now... they ask ever few months.  I had to terminate my account with RippleTrade and BitInstant because of KYC requirements, now I fear even more bitcoin companies will jump on the KYC wagon.

I don't care if these companies know who I am, or know where I live, its a matter of data security.  If a JPG of a passport can serve as irrefutable proof that the holder is indeed me... why would I want to release that proof the a third party.  Allowing an exchange to hold my private keys is a controllable exposure.  My exposure is limited to the amount of BTC I choose to place on that key.  Identity theft is a different story.  Once someone (having stole my JPG from the exchange) can provide indisputable proof that they are me, my risk is unbounded.  If the US Government, with access to the most advanced cryptography and billions of dollars in computing power cannot keep it's own data secure, I don't trust an exchange with a few hundred employees and a few hundred thousand in compute to do it.

As a victim of identity theft I had to fight (am still fighting) over $13,000 that I was held liable for, but all this was over a very limit exposure.  One (guessable) account number was all that was needed to hang me out for $13,000.  I won my dispute purely on the basis that my account number could have shown up on that form by accident or by the luck of the attacker since no secondary ID was provided.  If they had my passport and drivers license, I would likely be up the creek right now.

I was recently inspired to revisit this topic after hearing Andreas A. publicly rail against KYC.

Please let me know your views... Will you let your exchange accounts go dark because of KYC?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 05:49:43 AM

Would you be willing to share you story of identify theft? Maybe we can learn from it, avoid having it happen to us? Was it conducted by a business or because a business lost your personal data or some other reason all together?

Sorry for your luck! Good luck with your settlement!

brianddk (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 16

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 06:49:27 AM

Would you be willing to share you story of identify theft? Maybe we can learn from it, avoid having it happen to us? Was it conducted by a business or because a business lost your personal data or some other reason all together?

Sorry for your luck! Good luck with your settlement!
Not much to tell.  I run a lot of side tech jobs so as such, I have a small company.  To get a company you fill out some paperwork and get an EIN / TIN number.  These numbers aren't really "confidential" since it is on a lot of public facing documents.  Well eventually, someone in the US without a work permit wanted to work.  Turns out it's easier for someone without a SSN to just pluck an EIN out of the air and just claim they are business owner.

Well this is exactly what happened to me.  Someone used my companies EIN to pose as the business owner of that EIN and settle a contract with a farm thousands of miles away.  The fact that my EIN was filed in a different state didn't matter.  The fact that my company was filed as a Tech company not a transport company didn't matter.  The fact that corporate law in the US is supposed to shield business owners from being held responsible for corporate debt didn't matter.

The IRS address a letter to me, with my SSN (not my EIN) claiming that I owed all the back taxes for the Transport contract, thousands of miles away.  Many phone calls, faxes, emails, meetings, more meetings, more phone calls later, the IRS finally said "opps".  I'm still trying to prosecute the person who is using my EIN, but apparently they don't do that anymore.  So I'm probably going to have to do this year for year until I can finally get someone to arrest the guy.

So yeah... if you live in the US, vote for whoever is most likely to dismantle the IRS.  They are a nightmare and have no business in a free society.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 09:09:18 AM

I am with you on this one and I voted against the KYC. I don't give my real info to anyone and I am only using exchanges and sticking to limits on these exchanges in order not to send my IDs and utility bills.
Government wants to control and look at everyone but I don't want to be controlled and looked at by governments.
Thats probably why I am not using location services on my smart phones. Smiley
Wary

Who's there?

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 10:52:09 AM

I'm still trying to prosecute the person who is using my EIN ... I'm probably going to have to do this year for year until I can finally get someone to arrest the guy ... vote for whoever is most likely to dismantle the IRS.  They are a nightmare and have no business in a free society.
Why are you so hostile to the man that used your EIN? He is opposing taxes, just like you. He has the same enemy - IRS, just like you. You were waging the same battle. You saved him from taxes, you have shielded him by your body and received the bullet that was meant to kill him. Yes, you are wounded because of it, but he is alive because of it. Why should you hate him? Your EIN have saved him, next time his EIN may save you. He is not your enemy, he is your brother-in-arms. IRS is your and his enemy, so why do you want to give away your comrade to your mutual enemy? Won't you feel yourself like a traitor after it?

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 11:45:24 AM

I avoid any site which asks for proof of address or identity. I understand they have policies to follow, I cannot trust any of them to protect my documents. For all I know, my documents could be printed out and placed in an file cabinet any employee can access, or dumped on a shared drive on their server unprotected.

I am however willing to drive to their office, show them the documents and identifications in person and let them verify without making a copy. That is going to be impossible for a bitcoin exchange half way across the world.  Undecided

Why are you so hostile to the man that used your EIN? He is opposing taxes, just like you. He has the same enemy - IRS, just like you.
<snip>
why do you want to give away your comrade to your mutual enemy? Won't you feel yourself like a traitor after it?

The EIN thief is avoiding taxes now. The EIN could also be used to file false tax refund, open false business bank accounts and take out loans. The guy could be doing that now and OP hasn't found out yet. Why wouldn't OP want the guy to be caught?

Why should you hate him? Your EIN have saved him, next time his EIN may save you.

Care to explain how the thief's non-existent EIN can save OP?
Derrike

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 02:53:17 PM

Can anyone give me a list of exchanges which do not have AML/KYC.
I am using cryptsy but it also have limit without KYC.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 03:08:13 PM

BTC-e doesn't care about that type of thing, but if you want to get fiat on there you have to deal with third party processors who probably do. Kraken lets you trade small amounts without it. Almost all alt only exchanges don't require it apart from Poloniex as far as I know. People give Poloniex false info anyway.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 03:16:16 PM

I avoid giving any info related to me at all costs. I generally don't mind giving my name and/or an approximate address, but I'm not giving pictures of my documents. When I have to send scans of my ID in my country for government-controlled entities (or other entities that require my ID, such as cable providers, water and gas providers etc), I scan the documents and then I edit them with big red letters on top of my ID saying "for exclusive usage of *company name here*", otherwise I'm not sending my data anywhere.

That being said, I voted "I refuse to do business with a company requiring it.", obviously.
Derrike

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 03:17:02 PM

BTC-e doesn't care about that type of thing, but if you want to get fiat on there you have to deal with third party processors who probably do. Kraken lets you trade small amounts without it. Almost all alt only exchanges don't require it apart from Poloniex as far as I know. People give Poloniex false info anyway.
The KYC process of cryptsy is very strict.
And yes I want to trade in fiat(mostly USD) so is there any recommendations for that?
Derrike

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 03:19:16 PM

I avoid giving any info related to me at all costs. I generally don't mind giving my name and/or an approximate address, but I'm not giving pictures of my documents. When I have to send scans of my ID in my country for government-controlled entities (or other entities that require my ID, such as cable providers, water and gas providers etc), I scan the documents and then I edit them with big red letters on top of my ID saying "for exclusive usage of *company name here*", otherwise I'm not sending my data anywhere.

That being said, I voted "I refuse to do business with a company requiring it.", obviously.
There is only a slight advantage of doing red color on top of your I'd.
But anyone with basic knowledge of Adobe photoshop can remove the red color and write other company's name on it.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 03:22:08 PM

The only thing I can be sure about when dealing with an exchange is that will not do KYC/AML is that I am sending my money to a bunch of criminals. How do you think that is going to end?
Maybe they are believers who want to do good business without the oppression of law. Or maybe they are laughing their ass off while spending the money I foolishly sent them. It's really up to them to decide what to do with the money. And when they steal it what are you going to do? Tell the cops some criminal in Ukraine stole your money instead of helping you evade the law.  

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 03:24:55 PM

And yes I want to trade in fiat(mostly USD) so is there any recommendations for that?

It's the USD thing that screws it up for everyone. Cryptsy had none of that before they implemented it.

Your best bet would probably be depositing crypto on BTC-e, selling it for USD and then you're rolling without having to give up ID to anyone. Withdrawing USD might probably require ID from the third party processor though. It's borderline impossible to avoid these days.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 03:32:50 PM

it's impossible because by the time you add a bank account, you are known, yes it isn't the same as providing national id, but your privacy is screwed anyway

you should deal with private or use a decentralized exchange, that i'm sure will coem in the future, for now there is local bitcoin...
Derrike

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 03:34:44 PM

It's the USD thing that screws it up for everyone. Cryptsy had none of that before they implemented it.

Your best bet would probably be depositing crypto on BTC-e, selling it for USD and then you're rolling without having to give up ID to anyone. Withdrawing USD might probably require ID from the third party processor though. It's borderline impossible to avoid these days.
So you are saying that I cannot do any Bitcoin arbitrage without completing the KYC?
Or is there any way around?
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 03:39:28 PM

So you are saying that I cannot do any Bitcoin arbitrage without completing the KYC?
Or is there any way around?

If USD is entering or leaving an exchange then it's KYC time wherever you go as far as I can tell. They're a lot more interested in not going to jail than your privacy.

This is the list of payment processors btc-e uses - US Bank Wire, EU Bank Wire (SEPA), Visa, Mastercard, Liqpay.com, unikarta.com, PerfectMoney.com, WebCreds.com, Ukash.com, Webmoney.ru

Maybe it's worth investigating them further but I'm pretty sure there's no way any of them would still be able to deal with USD or EUR without giving up everything to The Man.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 03:52:18 PM

There is only a slight advantage of doing red color on top of your I'd.
But anyone with basic knowledge of Adobe photoshop can remove the red color and write other company's name on it.

That is correct. It won't stop someone truly dedicated in stealing my ID. But it's an extra and easy security precaution one can take. That and sending low quality scans, where only the basic info can be seen, making it difficult to steal the ID.

Also, sending ID like this was the advice of my trusted lawyer. Works for me, so better pass it on Cheesy
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6578

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 03:57:38 PM

I voted to avoid it. Since we are giving companies those documents online, they could easily be hacked. I prefer methods which don't require KYC such as localbitcoins. Also, those requirements can be quite irritating for someone who doesn't have the necessary documents to prove their identity and address. For younger people who don't have any proof of residency or anything in their name (such as minors) they can't get Bitcoin through normal means even if they have a bank account or a credit card.

anderson00673

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 03:59:53 PM

I voted the first option.  The thing is, the cat is already out of the bag.  At least for me.  My data, all of it, has been out there for a long time.  For example when I went to CC, they used my SS number for everything, from registering for classes to paying fees in person (yeah, thats right you just gave the number to people standing around behind a counter, usually other students, with other students in line all around).

It is a sad truth that people never fix anything ahead of time, only after it is broken (see: global warming).  So, my data is already compromised for anyone who wants it, I am sure.  It wasn't until pretty recently that we collectively said "uh, oh shit maybe we better not just give all this information away".  

You might call me stupid for participating ni this stuff, but I had to choose my battles.  I was aware at the time that giving my ss number was stupid, but I didn't have the time or energy to fight the system.  

Anyway, for me it is too late, maybe for you guys it is not.
Wary

Who's there?

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 10:57:50 PM

The EIN thief is avoiding taxes now. The EIN could also be used to file false tax refund, open false business bank accounts and take out loans. The guy could be doing that now and OP hasn't found out yet. Why wouldn't OP want the guy to be caught?
You are cutting your bread with a knife. The same knife could also be used to kill somebody. You could be doing it right now and we hasn't found out yet. Why wouldn't we want you to be arrested?

Care to explain how the thief's non-existent EIN can save OP?
You can also ask how the non-existing bullet I've mentioned have managed to wound OP. Smiley

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: