Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:18:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I take wallet.dat while Reindexing ?  (Read 873 times)
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6122

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 11:36:58 AM

If you saw my other posts and threads on the last few weeks then  you will understand that Bitcoin Core is screwed up on my PC and I'am struggling and I decided to move to Windows 10 and make all fresh to make I'am good to go .

So , Bitcoin Core don't want to Reindex (at least it take shitload of days) now I want to know if I take backup of wallet.dat and save it somewhere safe , Unistall windows and install the new Windows 10 could I import the wallet.dat ? or that wallet.dat won't be updated because the Reindexing with the network wasen't finished ?

Also what are the wallets that I could import wallet.dat to safely without any issues because I'am thinking to switch to Electrum after the Installation of the new windows .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
altcoinhosting

Activity: 896
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 11:40:35 AM

I'm not really 100% sure about the technology (i'm learning myself), but if i'm not mistaking, your wallet.dat holds your keys, not your coins...

So, afaik, you can safely take your wallet.dat, even when you're reindexing, reinstall windows, import the file, and you're ready to go Smiley

You can easily try it out on the pc of a trusted family member if you're unsure... Just install bitcoin core, import your wallet.dat, and i'm pretty sure your coins will appear once it's all synced (it might take a while)

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 11:47:40 AM

If you saw my other posts and threads on the last few weeks then  you will understand that Bitcoin Core is screwed up on my PC and I'am struggling and I decided to move to Windows 10 and make all fresh to make I'am good to go .

So , Bitcoin Core don't want to Reindex (at least it take shitload of days) now I want to know if I take backup of wallet.dat and save it somewhere safe , Unistall windows and install the new Windows 10 could I import the wallet.dat ? or that wallet.dat won't be updated because the Reindexing with the network wasen't finished ?

Also what are the wallets that I could import wallet.dat to safely without any issues because I'am thinking to switch to Electrum after the Installation of the new windows .

Yes you can just move the wallet.dat to the new system and put it in the correct folder. You can not use the wallet.dat file directly with any other wallet software. The easiest and safest way is to send the coins via a TX from the old wallet to a new wallet (e.g. electrum). Most newer wallets like electrum do not allow you to import private keys as they would not be covered by the seed. Im not sure if its worth the hassle to fully sync bitcoin core for a single transaction. If you know someone you can trust its an option to let them do it. You can also export the private keys (no need to sync for that) and import them into a temp wallet like blockchain.info or Mycelium and create a TX to your new permanent wallet from there.

I'm not really 100% sure about the technology (i'm learning myself), but if i'm not mistaking, your wallet.dat holds your keys, not your coins...

So, afaik, you can safely take your wallet.dat, even when you're reindexing, reinstall windows, import the file, and you're ready to go Smiley

You can easily try it out on the pc of a trusted family member if you're unsure... Just install bitcoin core, import your wallet.dat, and i'm pretty sure your coins will appear once it's all synced (it might take a while)

Yes the coins are actually nowhere. The wallet.dat contains all private keys, the description you left for the addresses and some transaction data if possible. The transaction data might be outdated, but that should not be a problem.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 11:50:41 AM

If you saw my other posts and threads on the last few weeks then  you will understand that Bitcoin Core is screwed up on my PC and I'am struggling and I decided to move to Windows 10 and make all fresh to make I'am good to go .

Yes you can just move the wallet.dat to the new system and put it in the correct folder. You can not use the wallet.dat file directly with any other wallet software. The easiest and safest way is to send the coins via a TX from the old wallet to a new wallet (e.g. electrum). Most newer wallets like electrum do not allow you to import private keys as they would not be covered by the seed. Im not sure if its worth the hassle to fully sync bitcoin core for a single transaction. If you know someone you can trust its an option to let them do it. You can also export the private keys (no need to sync for that) and import them into a temp wallet like blockchain.info or Mycelium and create a TX to your new permanent wallet from there.

Yes the coins are actually nowhere. The wallet.dat contains all private keys, the description you left for the addresses and some transaction data if possible. The transaction data might be outdated, but that should not be a problem.

Good to know that I'am fine from that part then .
how do I export private keys from the wallet on BTC Core don't see any option for that , and I suppose  I should export for each adress because I have multiple adresses .I may use Escrow or something to store half and backup half I don't want to take risk .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
altcoinhosting

Activity: 896
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 11:59:32 AM

Good to know that I'am fine from that part then .
how do I export private keys from the wallet on BTC Core don't see any option for that , and I suppose  I should export for each adress because I have multiple adresses .I may use Escrow or something to store half and backup half I don't want to take risk .

Again, if i'm not mistaking, exporting your keys can be done via the debug (commandline/console). I use electrum myself, so i don't know the exact terminology of bitcoin core

I would suggest downloading the QT wallet of a stable altcoin, mining or buying a couple satoshi's worth of altcoin, and trying/experimenting with that altcoin wallet... That way, you can only lose a couple of satoshi's  Wink

medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 12:13:37 PM

how do I export private keys from the wallet on BTC Core don't see any option for that , and I suppose I should export for each adress because I have multiple adresses .I may use Escrow or something to store half and backup half I don't want to take risk .

There are ways to export keys (like using "dumpprivkey" command), the easiest method for you is probably import "wallet.dat" into a new blockchain.info wallet. Then send all your coins in one transaction to your new Electrum wallet.

I would do use another safe computer, create a new account in blockchain.info. Make sure you have the identification number, password written down AND access to your registered email (need to authorise login from a new computer). Logout and log in a few times. Then import you "wallet.dat" into your blockchain.info wallet. Check you balance. When everything looks right, check again you have multiple backups your "wallet.dat" and blockchain.info wallet login details. Then format your computer.
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 01:58:52 PM

how do I export private keys from the wallet on BTC Core don't see any option for that , and I suppose I should export for each adress because I have multiple adresses .I may use Escrow or something to store half and backup half I don't want to take risk .

There are ways to export keys (like using "dumpprivkey" command), the easiest method for you is probably import "wallet.dat" into a new blockchain.info wallet. Then send all your coins in one transaction to your new Electrum wallet.

I would do use another safe computer, create a new account in blockchain.info. Make sure you have the identification number, password written down AND access to your registered email (need to authorise login from a new computer). Logout and log in a few times. Then import you "wallet.dat" into your blockchain.info wallet. Check you balance. When everything looks right, check again you have multiple backups your "wallet.dat" and blockchain.info wallet login details. Then format your computer.

I will do what you said first , should I dump using that command on the console of Bitcoin Core or Blockchain.info read the file wallet.dat like Bitcoin Core does ?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 02:24:38 PM

I will do what you said first , should I dump using that command on the console of Bitcoin Core or Blockchain.info read the file wallet.dat like Bitcoin Core does ?
It depends on how many addresses you have used. dumpprivkey only dumps one key at a time, and with a lot of addresses, it can be very tiring. If you have only used 10-20 keys, I would recommend you use dumpprivkey. You can also use pywallet to get all of the keys out of it.

If you decide to import it to blockchain.info, you better move all of you Bitcoin out of there fast and never use those addresses again. Uploading your wallet.dat to bc.i might be unsafe and could potentially leave you open to attack.

OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 02:41:50 PM

It depends on how many addresses you have used. dumpprivkey only dumps one key at a time, and with a lot of addresses, it can be very tiring. If you have only used 10-20 keys, I would recommend you use dumpprivkey. You can also use pywallet to get all of the keys out of it.

If you decide to import it to blockchain.info, you better move all of you Bitcoin out of there fast and never use those addresses again. Uploading your wallet.dat to bc.i might be unsafe and could potentially leave you open to attack.

If you mean receiving adresses then it's about 6 Adresses only . also why I will be open to an attack ? they will be able to attack me even if I import and send to other adresses fast ? Shocked it wouldn't make sense

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 02:53:20 PM

If you mean receiving adresses then it's about 6 Adresses only . also why I will be open to an attack ? they will be able to attack me even if I import and send to other adresses fast ? Shocked it wouldn't make sense
If you go into the console and do listaddressgroupings, you can see all of the addresses you have used. This includes change addresses.

When importing into Blockchain.info, if you move the Bitcoin quickly, you are at less risk. Anytime you are giving anyone your private keys, you are at risk of being attacked, although bc.i's security is pretty good IMO. They do everything in the browser not on their servers.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: