Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:19:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold-foil Chocolate Casascius Coins for the Halloween kids this year?  (Read 10011 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 05:58:24 AM
Last edit: September 29, 2012, 10:15:08 PM by casascius

OK, I have an idea.  I want the community to be able to give those gold-foiled chocolate "Casascius Coins" for Halloween this year, and shove them in everybody's stockings for Christmas.  And I guess they do chocolate coins for Hanukkah, of course.

Here is what I have in mind: a "Casascius Bitcoin design" mimicking my coins on the front, and on the back, some sort of zinger like "HONEST MONEY - Gold, Silver, and Bitcoin" on the back, meant to entice someone into at least Googling it.

I want to do a custom run of coins, but I'm not really interested in estimating the demand, reselling them at a markup that no one wants to pay, having them melt or spoil because I wasn't careful enough to store them.  So here is what I want to do:

1. Find one of these chocolate companies that do custom coins and I buy a batch of them for myself.  I will pay the fees to make sure the artwork and dies get done.  I will ask if they will cooperate with my nefarious plans to get them more business:
2. I ask them to keep the die on hand because I plan to send my buddies over to order coins just like me.  I ask them to put the die in a special place, sharpie it with the name Mike Caldwell and not charge any of my friends the $45-per-side creation charge for the custom die.
3. You go to their website and place your own order for chocolate bitcoins, sent directly to you, in the flavor of your choice.

If I do that, each of you could order like 500 of these coins and spam everyone you know IRL with eye-catching and mouth-watering bitcoins, and you wouldn't have to worry about paying for them to be shipped twice.

What say ye?  It looks to me like chocolate coins are maybe in the 0.16 - 0.18 USD range for orders of a few hundred coins.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 05:59:02 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2012, 03:07:19 PM by casascius

UPDATE: Here is the coin design, which has been optimized with the help of the chocolate company I've been working with to look best on a chocolate coin.

Also, looks like the price will be 0.15 USD regardless of quantity (plus shipping).  There is a minimum order of 500, so that's $75 worth of coins.  They are shipped from Texas, US, and are guaranteed (within the US) to arrive undamaged.  It looks like their lead time is 5 days, so that should be in time to have them long before Halloween.

Here is how to order, best I can tell.

1. Go to http://www.gocandy.com - choose Coins, then choose Chocolate Coins.
2. Choose the foil color, flavor, and quantity you want.
3. For the design, in the category list, choose "Bitcoin".  (They added a section!)
4. Please post in the thread that you ordered, I'm interested to know how many decided to jump on this.

ALSO: if you are put off by the minimum quantity, please post in the thread.  I may be willing to accept prepayment (in BTC) for as few as 100 coins and then place a big order myself and mail them right back out (using USPS Priority Mail, cost $5.15) immediately upon arrival.  You'd have to pay in advance, because I'd want to be able to ship them back out the minute they got here.  Note that when ordering directly from the chocolate company, you get the benefit of them guaranteeing their safe arrival, as well as checking your weather and adding free ice-packing when necessary... I am not in a position to offer that same guarantee and would be forwarding these with zero markup, so just so you're aware, it's at your own risk.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION regarding storage and shelf life:  These should last for 1 year if kept at COOL ROOM TEMPERATURE, do not refrigerate or freeze.  more storage information on their website.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 06:01:29 AM

I'm in. Great idea.
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 06:01:38 AM

You have my purchase.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 06:04:15 AM

will i need to ultrasound them to make sure its real chocolate?
Panoramix

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 08:50:35 AM

Good plan, I'm in.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 11:43:15 AM

I'll take at least 100 if that's about $20.  Maybe more if they look awesome.  I'm gonna be a bitcoin for halloween, so this is perfect for my costume theme Smiley

I probably wouldn't spend more that $50 on this without serious buyin from the boss (wife), haha.  I'll definitely pass them out to kids & see if I can get others to throw down.

I'll check with others this week.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 11:51:05 AM

I would buy some.

arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 11:53:24 AM

mmm. bitcoins. absolutely.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
Elxiliath

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 12:37:38 PM

I would order a few hundred.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS. BL5cYJHSEvjPo19GQa3z7Z3cCEbBY9iCee
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 01:29:23 PM
Last edit: September 29, 2012, 07:50:53 PM by cbeast

I would order if it is Fair Trade chocolate.
Because it's for Bitcoin I'll make an exception.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
MaxSan

Activity: 369

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 01:32:12 PM

if they ship internationally definitely take a bunch.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 02:33:54 PM

I will invest in these just so that I can get in while they are cheap and then sell them when demand raises the price through the roof.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
blueadept

Activity: 225
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 04:22:06 PM

I'd buy some for Hanukkah.

Like my posts?  Connect with me on LinkedIn and endorse my "Bitcoin" skill.
Decentralized, instant off-chain payments.
SuperP

Activity: 658

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 07:44:42 PM

I will invest in these just so that I can get in while they are cheap and then sell them when demand raises the price through the roof.

These could be a great addition to the colored bitcoins idea. Flavored bitcoins!

I'm in for $30 at least.  Double that if they accept bitcoins as payment.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 07:48:07 PM

I'm in.  Hurry, October is almost here.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2012, 04:19:25 PM

Ordering information has been placed immediately under OP.

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 04:49:03 PM

Order placed, 500 assorted colors.  I'll let you know how it goes.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2012, 04:54:56 PM

Casascius, I don't have enough adults to give candy to for an order of 500 but I’d be willing to buy somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 if you want to make a large order and divide it out to some of us.

If you want to go on my website and place an order, you can. https://casascius.com

Just place a blank order that consists only of Priority Mail Shipping.  Put in the notes that you want some chocolate coins and how many.  Mine will be gold foil.  Pay $15 worth of BTC (MtGoxLast) per 100 choco coins, plus the listed shipping charge, to the bitcoin address given by my site (unique to your order).  Don't worry - my order system is automatic only to the extent that it prices coins and dispenses bitcoin addresses, but everything else is manual and I will see the request and the extra payment.

I just ordered 2500 myself from gocandy, so I should have mine soon.

sceeth0

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 05:05:27 PM

500 ordered
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: