Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 11:25:50 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how do i know my private key?  (Read 894 times)
gustavodib88 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 02:32:21 PM

I have sent my bitcoins to a address generated in bitcoin core ,
so i want to withdraw the funds from another site, but it is asking for PRIVATE KEY i don´t have it how do i know my private key so i can conclude this transaction?
noideacoin

Activity: 52

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 02:34:47 PM

DO NOT GIVE YOUR QT PRIVATE KEY TO SOME RANDOM SITE. Sorry for caps.
gustavodib88 (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 02:39:28 PM

BUT HOW CAN I KNOW WHICH IS MY PRIVATE KEY FROM BITCOIN CORE INSTALLED IN MY COMPUTER? I SERIOUSLY NEED TO KNOW!!!
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6705

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 02:40:03 PM

Why is that site asking for your private key? You don't need to give anyone your private key to send funds anywhere. If you want to send funds to someone, open up Bitcoin Core and use the send tab to do it.

Derrike

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 02:40:55 PM

so i want to withdraw the funds from another site, but it is asking for PRIVATE KEY i don´t have it how do i know my private key so i can conclude this transaction?
This website sounds fishy.
Please trade with this website with caution.
I've never encountered such site in my life.
Generally, sites gives you an address to send your Bitcoin to complete the transaction.
LsHallo

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 02:45:39 PM

Basically you can use dumpprivkey [Adress] to get the private key. But your private key is your PRIVATE key. So no one else needs to know it. I think they steal your coins with the private key. To send coins they only need the address where to send, and the amount.
You have been warned!
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 03:38:33 PM

If you are truly looking for help and do not want to lose your coins I would highly suggest you provide more detailed information so members of the community can assist you. So far you have provided only enough information to lead most people here to believe you may soon fall victim to a scam.

You can start with telling us which site you are trying to use. You do not need to give any personal information, but a link to the site would be useful. Then perhaps someone can assist you with what you are trying to accomplish. As many people have already pointed out, giving someone your private key is basically giving them any coins associated with that key.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 03:49:02 PM

this scam-website should guide people to their private key - idiots  Tongue

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3262

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 03:49:31 PM
Last edit: July 30, 2015, 07:40:55 PM by odolvlobo

The wallet
When someone sends you bitcoins, then send to an address in your wallet. Only the wallet knows the private keys of the addresses it holds, so if you want to send those bitcoins, you must send from that wallet. Note that a wallet doesn't hold bitcoins, it controls bitcoins at the addresses it holds.

Moving a private key between wallets
It is possible to export a private key from one wallet (using dumpprivkey, in your case) and import it into another wallet, but there are very few times you would want to do that. Keep in mind that both wallets now manage the address associated with that private key now.

Moving bitcoins between wallets
It is not clear what you mean by "withdraw the funds", so some explanation might help. If you want to spend the bitcoins, then as stated above, you must send the bitcoins from the wallet that controls them. If you want to use a different wallet, such as an online wallet or wallet provider, then simply send the bitcoins from your bitcoin core wallet to an address in your new wallet or account first.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 04:01:50 PM

Can you post what website is explicit asking for the private keys? because most likely you are about to get scammed.

There is a reason behind why at least with Core you don't get to see the private keys, because simply put you don't need to see them, ever. It's for securitys sake. If you want to move your funds, just send the Bitcoins from wallet a to wallet b, it's safer than improving private keys between wallets.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 06:00:54 PM

what site.. what are you trying to do.. 

no one needs your private key... EVER.
umatej

Activity: 48

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 06:14:37 PM

what site.. what are you trying to do..  

no one needs your private key... EVER.

Exactly! Private key isnt called private for no reason Smiley  

Private key is the only thing at the end, what you need to get your public key (address) back and your money.

To the OP
If you still want private keys for your addresses, every address has private key, then you can get them from console in Bitcoin core wallet. Type in Help for more info.
Private keys are stored in in wallet.dat, so remember to do backup of your wallet every so often.
mallard

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 06:49:37 PM

What site are you giving your private keys to?
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 06:52:01 PM

NEVER give out your private key.

For most people you will likely never need to even see that key. The website may need a pass phase to withdraw. But that is not the one you have in bitcoin core. After you are logged in the only thing they really need is a "receiving address" from your bitcoin core software.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3413

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 06:53:50 PM

this scam-website should guide people to their private key - idiots  Tongue
Absolutely, I just hate it when I have to study a manual before being scammed.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: