Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:01:34 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: general information  (Read 493 times)
reg (OP)

Activity: 463
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 04:00:11 PM

hi, does anyone know if there is a browser(s) that does not feed info back to google?. I use linux but am not a geek (unfortunately) so cannot access the linux info sites! I can access a windows platform but for eg: firefox sends info to google I have been informed?. I mean subject, key words, ip address etc. I am trying to avoid my browsing being logged by anyone either bitcoin related or otherwise. I do not accept if you are doing nothing wrong you do not have to worry because what is legal today can easily become illegal tomorrow!. regards.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 04:05:50 PM

hi, does anyone know if there is a browser(s) that does not feed info back to google?. I use linux but am not a geek (unfortunately) so cannot access the linux info sites! I can access a windows platform but for eg: firefox sends info to google I have been informed?. I mean subject, key words, ip address etc. I am trying to avoid my browsing being logged by anyone either bitcoin related or otherwise. I do not accept if you are doing nothing wrong you do not have to worry because what is legal today can easily become illegal tomorrow!. regards.
What do you mean send stuff to google? Sure some browsers will log some data for research and send them to the company that made it, but browsers don't just send things to google. Google isn't the king of the Internet or anything like that.

If you really want anonymity, use Tor. It prevents anyone from knowing who you are and where you are browsing and the nature of Tor also makes it not log anything at all. It uses different search engines that don't log any information and the open source nature of everything it uses makes it available to the public to see whether it actually does this or not.

hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 04:33:35 PM

It goes without saying, but don't search in Google, and use duckduckgo instead.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 03:05:58 PM

It goes without saying, but don't search in Google, and use duckduckgo instead.
Yep, disconnect.me is also good, it seems Tor is using this one by default now. It used to use Startpage.
Your concern is understable OP. We may never know in the future if the governments will do extensive search for BTC usage. Im not that paranoid tho, but I see your point, so probably Tor is worth a try.
dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 03:11:34 PM

Another vote here for disconnect.me. As said above using the tor package defaults to this. As long as you don't search anything through google you will be absolutely fine. duckduckgo used to be my daily. In fact I havent used google on my desktop for quite a while.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 03:18:34 PM

And, obviously, do not use Chrome browser or Android OS.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2015, 03:22:03 PM

And, obviously, do not use Chrome browser or Android OS.
And if you don't want your data going to apple, don't use iOS, macs, or Safari. If you don't want Microsoft to know, don't use Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, or Windows. And if you don't want Mozilla to track don't use Firefox.

So basically, use linux and Tor. I would recommend TAILS(https://tails.boum.org/) which uses Tor by Default.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: