Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:58:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to clone Bitcoin to create your own virtual currency or crypto shares  (Read 3858 times)
sron (OP)

Activity: 235
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 08:14:31 AM

Hi there,

Yesterday I had a vision. Nothing religious but more like a clear idea of how we can solve the crypto stock dilemma. What's the problem? Crypto stock exchanges like cryptostocks.com and GLBSE are owned privately by small centralized entities and business owners. They are vulnerable to attacks by hackers, government agencies or even lynch mobs if something goes wrong. If you ask me, GLBSE is likely to run into problems within a year. See this thread for instance [], and know just how many people hold the GLBSE owner and specific site asset creators personally responsible for their losses with regard to the Pirate ponzi. Even if the current crypto stock exchanges have nothing to do with fraudsters who create IPO's on these sites, try telling that to a lynch mob consisting of unsophisticated investors who have lost their life savings.

How can we solve this?

We could make it as easy to clone the bitcoin code and create modified digital currency/crypto shares as it is to fill out a form. Please don't be too protective about the uniqueness of bitcoin, we need as many good derivates and clones as possible, it benefits the bitcoin too.

You see, a bitcoin clone can be used as a crypto share. Let's say you create a new bitcoin clone and call it [random name]. You can then create a website where you define the contract (the type of contract that you find on GLBSE now or in the legal paperwork which constitues a real world company), namely how and if dividends will be paid out, how much influence the shareholders have etc.

If anyone wants to claim a dividend, they just send x amount of this new currency/share to your account after which you send them back the currency/share unit plus dividend (in bitcoins). By receiving the unit, you will know for certain that the account holder actually owns it. Using the bitcoin framework will also make it possible for anyone to trade their currency/share with anyone else, without having to go through a clunky third party platform with extorbant fees set by only a handful of crypto stock platform owners.

A system like this cannot be taken down by the authorities, just as little as bitcoin can be taken down. GLBSE and cryptostocks.com on the other hand could perhaps be taken down one way or another.

Why am I sharing this idea?

Because I cannot do this on my own. Clones of bitcoin already exist (devcoin, litecoin) and an exchange platform too (https://vircurex.com/). However, we need to make it as easy as possible to create a clone. Anyone should be able to do it by just defining the parameters, perhaps forking the code and releasing it under a new name.

Defining parameters before launch

When creating a new clone it should be possible to easily define:

- How many currency/share units will be produced through mining
- How long the mining will take place for

Now, if I want to create a new currency and use it as a stock, I should be able to create say only a 1000 units in a very short time and keep them all to myself. They can then be offered against bitcoins, dollars, work hours or whatnot to investors, entrepreneurs, developers or just about anyone who wishes to get involved in your company and share an interest in your project.

The aim of this thread is to create instructions for how to create your own clone of bitcoin [bitoin github link] and defining the parameters. The instructions will be uploaded to this website [insert link].

Bitcoin is already an indestructible piece of software due to its open source and peer to peer nature. Why painstakingly create crypto stock exchanges with all the risks and coding it involves, when we can use the bitcoin source code to create new currencies/shares with ease?

Let's say anyone in the world can create a bitcoin clone. They can just define the contract on their website and start their own exchange. Do you grasp the implications of this? We are talking a whole new world order.

Bitcoin is great, but it needs more good clones and derivate products, now! Let's procreate and clone the source code like rabid but earnest monkeys, let the bitcoin cell multiply into a myriad of units and create a new universal body of free commerce and a haven for investors and entrepreneurs.

Future vision for software:

A client which can be used not only to trade bitcoins but any bitcoin clone too and perhaps also  to create your own clone in five minutes. I cannot emphasize enough how useful and powerful a financial and entrepreneurial tool a client like that would be.

This thread and original post will be updated continously. Originally published on www.bitcoinforum.tk

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 09:01:56 AM

You see, a bitcoin clone can be used as a crypto share. Let's say you create a new bitcoin clone and call it [random name]. You can then create a website where you define the contract (the type of contract that you find on GLBSE now or in the legal paperwork which constitues a real world company), namely how and if dividends will be paid out, how much influence the shareholders have etc.

You are describing Open Tranasctions.  This specifically was one of the reasons it was built.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

obisunk

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 05:37:52 PM

Have you considered that the smaller the network, the more easily an attacker can disrupt the network?
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 04:24:40 AM

We would have too many virtual currencies then.
I think we have enough for now already.
sron (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2012, 07:46:19 AM

You are describing Open Tranasctions.  This specifically was one of the reasons it was built.

Hmm... Are you the guy behind open transactions?

sron (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2012, 07:47:47 AM

Have you considered that the smaller the network, the more easily an attacker can disrupt the network?

Well, perhaps there is a technical solution.

Could someone explain to me what will happen with the bitcoin clients once all bitcoins have been mined? Will they still keep on tugging data or will they act differently from now?

sron (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2012, 07:48:13 AM

We would have too many virtual currencies then.
I think we have enough for now already.

I disagree.

cryptid1

Activity: 23

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 11:58:59 PM

This month I have the same idea!!
This is a wonderfull idea but it needs time to become normal to use it on a large scale, let's say 4-5 years!!

I try to imagine this:
Anyone will "print" his bonds, when you want to buy things/services that that people offers you buy the bonds (that he print)...let's say that the exchange price is 0.
In this way a new type of universal currency will born that is the "utility" that is the absolute price of a currency/bond, measured in any currency, because any currency are convertible in other currencies without costs, so a standard value will emerges, and this is how in any other virtual currency one currency (the currency that we are talking about) is valued!

We have to add just a little feature, that anybody can print how many bonds/currency he want, so anybody can devaluate his currency how much he want, or avoiding that it grow to much in value: anybody will be a central banker but backed with the goods that produce!!

(excuse not very good english)

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 05:29:49 AM

anybody will be a central banker but backed with the goods that produce!!

The tools are here now  ... Open Transactions and Ripple.

Now whether or not there's a market for currency where you promise future production, but there is a market for your current production.  Here's a perfect example.

Chase bank acts like a pawn shop here, giving cash to farmers for up to 65% of the value of maize that they have warehouse receipts for.

Chase Bank targets maize farmers with low-interest loans
 - http://bit.ly/16ciIEe

Chase is giving cash for only 65% of the value of the maize.    Of course, if the farmer repays the cash loan the maize is still owned by the farmer so that's a good thing, but the farmer doesn't have access to 35% of the purchasing power of his maize.  If he could trade those warehouse receipts for cash closer to full value the farmer would benefit. 

When you are I can bid for ownership of those warehouse receipts (rather than the farmer being forced to go groveling to the Chase pawn shop) the financial system extracts less rent from the economy.   I look forward to the day this is common practice!

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 12:53:48 PM

We already have so many cryptocurrency wannabees that just appeared after bitcoin became 'popular' so to say.
This will just complicate things.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 04:49:28 PM

I'm not sure what this really brings to the table. Maybe it went over my head.  Undecided
Nicnicy

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 05:09:38 PM

Doing research about an idea this topic comes up
so my alike idea is already posted 5 years ago Smiley

reference #cryptoshares

thanks,
Nic
Pages: [1]
  Print