Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 06:35:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum, the next era of bitcoin technology  (Read 5936 times)
monsanto
Legendary

Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005

..like bright metal on a sullen ground.

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 03:50:42 AM

I'd like to see Ethereum actually do something. So far its been all talk.

For starters a wallet would be nice  Grin
BigSirko

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 05:18:15 AM

They needed an insider among Bitcoin to sell it and that is why Vitalik Buterin was selected: he was the editor of the magazine and he had all these crypto media connections.  Do you think Ethereum could had received its' $18 million without its' Bitcoin manchild?  Probably not.

It is a command line wallet.  The code is described as primitive and rushed out of the gate, likely due to the money woes they have.

http://cointelegraph.com/news/115034/ethereum-launches-but-leaked-chat-says-project-needs-years-more
"The emails also stated that most of the funding gathered from the Ether crowdsale is used up, and can only sustain the Ethereum development team for another seven months at best."

The other 2.0 projects, more developed than Ethereum, are otherwise immature as evident with all their Daaps focused on illegal gambling and various pyramid schemes.  Ethereum's daap list is no improvement, FYI.  There's no Bitcoin or Litecoin killer on the horizon.  Maybe I'll change my assessment by December but I'm skeptical.

fartbags
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 07:40:20 AM

Ethereum is pretty amazing so far. I was programming with it in the test phase.

I agree Ethereum sucks today and will need years before it's anything useful. If you're just getting into crypto development, then I'd say go with Ethereum over bitcoin.

NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 07:45:52 AM

And what about the rumours of instamining on launch and paying certain people 3,000 - 300,000 ether for basically nothing? Or was that called as bullshit? 
BigSirko

Activity: 201

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 09:07:02 AM

And what about the rumours of instamining on launch and paying certain people 3,000 - 300,000 ether for basically nothing? Or was that called as bullshit? 

How was the 3,000 - 300,000 Ether ever "bullshit"?  The source came from an Ethereum developer himself.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/3fdq0h/ethereums_security_expenditure_miner_reward_was/ctnvm7x
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 10:26:55 AM
Last edit: August 05, 2015, 12:41:43 PM by rdnkjdi

The 9.9% endowment pool to the founders is not new news.

Pretty simple.  Ethers sold at 3,000 Ethers per btc.  Total ethers sold * .099 went to foundation for future dev expenses.  Total ethers sold * .099 went to "founders pool".  Total ethers in existence at time of presale was amount sold * 1.198.  

Mining inflation is a slightly less than .26X of initial ether sale for life.

Totally get why a lot of people have a problem with it.  But the terms were pretty out in the open in the presale.  Not difficult to understand.  If anyone gets f***** it's the presale buyers.  If anyone gets rich it will be the primary founders & the pre-sale buyers in that order.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 11:00:12 AM

I don't know. I may be wrong, and if so I would be fine with it.However I still have big doubts.Since ICO almost nothing had been released. Could be one of the biggest failures in altcoins.Let's see how this story continues.
JonathanD

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 01:08:09 PM

yea totally makes no sense why its only a command line wallet...

seriously.. $18 million dollars and not even a simple interface for the ability to send/recieve ether?Huh

The funniest part is that spammers push it as an already working/perfect system.

The ethereum pump and dump will be spectacular.

Personally I'll try to mine some while the diff is low for a dump.

The current version is clearly made for developers and not for endusers. No developer needs a graphical interface... so what is the problem?
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 03:35:55 PM

This is a joke.  No update from devs.  No info on thaw.  Can't do anything with mined coins.  Still can't sell on a exchange.  Pathetic.
johnty82

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 03:43:16 PM

This is a joke.  No update from devs.  No info on thaw.  Can't do anything with mined coins.  Still can't sell on a exchange.  Pathetic.

The devs said the thaw depends on how many miners update to the latest code. Each time an updated miner mines a block it speeds up the time to the thaw, but each time a miner who hasn't updated mines a block it slows down the time to the thaw. I expected trading to start this Monday at the latest, and it seems like a stupid system to leave the start of trading to an unspecific time in the future.
thebenjamincode

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

37iGtdUJc2xXTDkw5TQZJQX1Wb98gSLYVP

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 04:23:26 PM

i've been hearing about ethereum for a very long time and i am wondering when will it be launched and used?
i haven't seen it listed on an exchange before
johnty82

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 05:04:52 PM

i've been hearing about ethereum for a very long time and i am wondering when will it be launched and used?
i haven't seen it listed on an exchange before

There's a list of exchanges on reddit that will probably have Ethereum markets after the thaw. Some of those on the list already have markets with only bids, others only promise to have markets after the thaw. Nobody knows exactly when trading will start because the Ethereum devs invented a complicated way of doing it that depends on how fast miners update their software.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethtrader/comments/3eqjxt/list_of_exchanges_that_will_support_ether_trading/

Crossposting from Ethereum reddit - if you know of more please add & I'll modify OP
[Confirmed] - Gatecoin (Supports pre-order book)
[Confirmed] - Kraken (Supports pre-order book)
[Confirmed] - Coinsquare.io (Supports pre-order book)
[Confirmed] - Poloniex (Post thaw)
[Confirmed] - Yunbi (Post thaw?)
[NonOfficial] - Cryptsy (Unofficial Mod statement. Post thaw.)
NonOfficial - [Bittrex] (Unofficial statement)
hankman

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 06:10:04 PM

Cryptsy will probably have the most volume of any of those exchange.

when are transactions enabled?
s1gs3gv
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014

ex uno plures

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2015, 07:59:05 PM

Personally I like they way they are doing the thaw. Very pure.

What's the rush ? ETH is one coin for which I am going to take the long view.
billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 08:15:50 PM

If ethereum is such a great thing why are bitcoin forums full of shills spamming this shit?

With $18M funding they couldn't even fabricate a windows client...

seriously, +100000 to this. I've just spent the better part of two days trying to install and mine on linux and windoze and this software is HORRIBLE. 18mil and you can't even write much less organize coherent information? I'd laugh if it wasn't so damn sad.

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
fartbags
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 08:27:23 PM

If ethereum is such a great thing why are bitcoin forums full of shills spamming this shit?

seriously, +100000 to this. I've just spent the better part of two days trying to install and mine on linux and windoze and this software is HORRIBLE. 18mil and you can't even write much less organize coherent information? I'd laugh if it wasn't so damn sad.

It opens up a great opportunity for someone to relaunch Ethereum with more features.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 08:58:25 PM

Also, Etherium is the stupidest name for an alt since boolberry.

Actually I think boolberry is clever and sounds kinda neat.
Ethereum sounds somehow stuffy and nerdy (not in a good way).

Names are important.  I think this name will hurt its chances.

Fuserleer
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2015, 10:51:14 PM

guess that is what happens when you are driven by money and not perfection.

billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 11:13:28 PM

ha i was wondering how long it would take to show up.

and yeah, to think there was any worry in your camp about it. . . so now would be a GREAT time to launch eMunie.

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
Fuserleer
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2015, 11:17:14 PM

ha i was wondering how long it would take to show up.

and yeah, to think there was any worry in your camp about it. . . so now would be a GREAT time to launch eMunie.

well I'm pleased to report that the required level of perfection is now within grasp Smiley

and I was never worried...regardless of the tech, Ethereum's target demographic is different.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: