Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:32:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to measure Bitcoin popularity?  (Read 2959 times)
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2015, 03:13:29 PM

price down: bitcoin doomed

price up: bitcoin moon

Cheesy
This is just a misconception about the prices and popularity.
The price doesn't have any relationship with popularity.
Prices of Bitcoin is in the hands of Whales who are manipulating the market.

exactly. it is the dumbest measurement you can look at.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
michietn94
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 03:24:38 PM

Mostly ask the closest people we had known, ex : friends & family.
AFAIK, the bitcoin popularity still low on growing country rather than develop country who faster adopt bitcoin as the payment for some region

FANSUNITE

█ █
███
███
███
 ▄
 ▀
███
███
███
███
█ █

█ █
███
███
███
 ▄
 ▀
███
███
███
███
█ █
nextgencoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 03:54:24 PM

Transactions is the best way to judge how Bitcoin is doing. If Bitcoin really goes mainstream we will know about it pretty quickly...
Hopalong

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 04:01:57 PM

If i ever hear someone talk about bitcoin i would assume it was getting more popular....
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2015, 04:07:56 PM

The best way would be asking people on the streets no?

Chances are, 90% people will say they never heard of bitcoin. Some will even say it is some kind of gaming token by hearing the term COIN.

b-trading

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 04:21:58 PM

What do you think is the best way to measure the popularity of Bitcoin? Some say that amount of transactions or used addresses but in my opinion this is not really a good measurement.
i think we can measure the bitcoin popularity by the amount of merchant that accep bitcoin as a payment in any country in this world..
Derrike

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 04:23:06 PM

The best way would be asking people on the streets no?

Chances are, 90% people will say they never heard of bitcoin. Some will even say it is some kind of gaming token by hearing the term COIN.
hey,  no one will think that it is some kind of gaming token just by hearing the term "coin"  associated with it.
Why do you think it like that?
Derrike

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 04:25:26 PM

What do you think is the best way to measure the popularity of Bitcoin? Some say that amount of transactions or used addresses but in my opinion this is not really a good measurement.
i think we can measure the bitcoin popularity by the amount of merchant that accep bitcoin as a payment in any country in this world..
Yes friend,  i think that you are right.
As more and more people will start to believe in Bitcoin, more merchants will start accepting the bitcoin.
PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 05:09:14 PM

You can't measure the popularity of bitcoin by one single figure. I think we have to use a basket of indicators: transactions, volume, merchant, news coverage. We also need to measure the growth of each of these indicators each year.
maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 05:24:19 PM

Amount of bitcoin transaction could be easily tweaked and manipulated, furthermore there are significant number of dust and spam transactions.
Part of Bitcoin philosophy is using new address for every transaction because they are literally endless so you can own hundreds of them.
So you are right, these factors are nothing certain and you cannot measure anything by number transactions and addresses.
TeKenway

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 07:37:14 PM

I take the cocktail theory for the investment world. Trying to think of the same principles for BTC.

Theory guys like this; If I am at a cocktail party and people come up to me and ask what I do for a living, I reply "I'm in the investment and advisery field" if they look disgusted with me and walk away to go speak to a dentist I know the market is pretty stabilized.

Now Reverse it, if two random people come up to me at the cocktail party, ask the same question and I reply "I am in the investment and advisery field". If they then get excited and start giving me advise on what stocks to buy, and then the dentist comes over and gives me advise on what stocks to buy I know its a good time to start exiting the market because their is to much consumer confidence and froth.

Not really an accurate theory and I wouldn't recommend using this to place any of your trades or engage in the market. It's just one of many things I use to engage in qualified invester confidence.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 07:46:08 PM

I would've thought the most reliable way to get a sniff would be the number of verified individual accounts at places like Coinbase, Circle and the big exchanges and whether they're rising, static or falling. That's a long way from being the whole scene of course but a good metric all the same.

Wallet openings and transactions are far too wishy washy.
TeKenway

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 07:58:21 PM

That's actually really smart, but would be hard to determine specially since people have multiple wallets.

Exchange volume is a nice way to look at it, but captures a certain demographic and leave another demographic that might not trade out. Would be easier if companies posted their earnings and sales number with AUM or Individual account holders. But thats a far step from happening.
mallard

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 07:59:54 PM

Google can show you the popularity of a search keyword I think.
tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 08:02:21 PM

i heard a lot of people talking about bitcoin, especially during the time around end of 2013 when mainstream media reported much about it, but 90% of them have never used or tried bitcoin anyway. so, it is not a good measurement.

If i ever hear someone talk about bitcoin i would assume it was getting more popular....
TeKenway

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 08:08:36 PM

I sent a memo out to my firm asking about bitcoin, most for brokers replayed back with "I dont know" or simple "Ponzy". The middle aged brokers seemed more acceptable to BTC and even had a bit of conversations about it.

That's a good sign to me. Most young brokers are idiots, and older brokers are jaded.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 11:25:10 PM

My insurance and investment guy didn't even hear of BTC when i asked him if excessive amount of electronic hardware was insurable.

I dont think asking people randomly on the street would work. You'd have to ask alot and it wouldnt be about popularity, it would be more;

"Hey have you ever heard of Bitcoin?" "Ever considered of using it?"

And i suspect most older people to be closed to the idea.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Jorge320

Activity: 42

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 12:27:44 AM

I have Google alerts setup for "Bitcoin" and "BTC", I tend to see a trend of the number of articles per day and movement in price (duh right...) but I also feel its a good metric to gauge adoption to see main stream news outlets reporting on BTC news.
g1974ak

Activity: 14

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 02:27:56 PM

i think th best solution is by looking at the number of transaction per day, those that are "cold storaging" will end their work at the end so if the number of TX per day rise, it must be because new people joined in
No, bro.
As at the time of stress testing and spam attack there were much much greater number of transaction per day,  so this is also not a good way to measure Bitcoin popularity. 

Nor only this but one person can make more than one transaction per day. So he can buy four things with bitcoin and here we are with four transaction from only one person.. Such thing can be made by numerous people. The result. Popularity increased and multiplied per four, five or ten times.
|Bitcoin|

Activity: 320

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 02:32:48 PM

The best way to help bitcoin go mainstream is not to calculat the popularity. If the result is bad no one will invest in bitcoin anymorr. If the result is good big investors will not invest due to the already big market.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: