Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:12:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Protip: If you want to be taken seriously, use an s-curve distribution  (Read 453 times)
americanpegasus (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 08:24:53 PM

Bitcoin unfortunately began with an immediate expansion period: 

From every conceivable angle, I cannot see why it wouldn't have been better to distribute the coins via an s-curve, with block rewards maximizing at a certain point after launch.   

The exact time it should take before block rewards maximize is up for debate, but I believe this approach allows time for everyone to learn about your project and get involved without feeling like they have "missed the boat".  It also allows your network to fail early and often before the majority of the coins have been generated.   Wink

Please explain from a game theory standpoint why this distribution is not superior in every way to one that begins immediately at the expansion phase? (with the exception that ultra early adopters don't get as rich). 

If you are worried about the network not being taken seriously because miners won't waste their time on a currency whose future block reward is greater than the current one, do some thought experiments with an infancy growth phase of 1 to 3 months and ask yourself what would happen.  Sure... perhaps an infancy phase of years might not work, but I believe that letting the buzz build for a few months at a minimum is a superior way to launch a new cryptocurrency.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 08:33:52 PM

Yes this has also been described as a slow-start to mining. There are a few coins that have done it, although usually the slow-start period is very short, just a few days or something, to avoid the issues with launch problems. I agree it should be longer.
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2015, 04:46:08 PM

Please explain from a game theory standpoint why this distribution is not superior in every way to one that begins immediately at the expansion phase? (with the exception that ultra early adopters don't get as rich). 

Because the S-curve is essentially a use curve. In order for S-curve distribution to be "superior in every way to one that begins immediately at the expansion phase" that distro has to more closely track the use curve than the usual.

Right now, there very little use-adoption data (over time) to correlate with distro data. For all but a few altcoins, I trust I don't need to explain the reason behind that paucity. Wink

I realize this point doesn't answer your question from a game-theory standpoint, but it is a relevant answer. 

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

americanpegasus (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 05:03:06 AM

Actually, after having my misunderstanding of the Birthday problem slammed repeatedly over my head today, I encountered these two graphs which would make for a very interesting "Total Coins Over Time" chart and a "Block Rewards Graph". 

Total Number of Coins Over Time 

Relative Block Reward Size

Who knows, there's been stranger symmetry in 'ideal' mathematical models... what if we've had a clue to the ideal block reward distribution over time for an average rational player all along?  I think it would be worth a try for a future alt / independent code base crypto.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: