Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:36:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: In what situations is a barter economy better than a monetary economy?  (Read 2386 times)
Daniela_grefi (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 11:24:22 PM

In what situations is a barter economy better than a monetary economy?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 11:42:30 PM

Barter economy is only good if you live in a secluded-from-the-world economy. If you are part of the capitalistic global system you are instantly rendered out of business. Few communities have everything they need without needing export/import to other places. I cant actually think of a single one that does barter economy and has a decent life quality.
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2015, 12:08:59 AM

In a situation where confidence of the monetary system has severely diminished or non-existent. A barter economy will exist when there's little established government...when we start to see a barter economy we'll be in a very bad place. Then the people that survive will "enjoy" the new world.

greBit

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 06:15:36 AM

A zombie apocalypse or a situation of complete isolation from the rest of the world except your surroundings. Assuming there is a tsunami and all shops are destroyed, all the money is gone and there has already been a lot of damage to life and property. People usually provide services and take duties in exchange of other work and that is an example of barter system. For example, men go and clean streets and re-build the place while all women cook together and serve to the whole neighborhood. People exchange goods with each other for use too.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 07:11:16 AM

in the used market it work best especially with things that has a low value, it's also more practical and you can get rid of fiat in some cases

it work especially good with things that are collectible
erre
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1205

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 07:40:13 AM

A zombie apocalypse or a situation of complete isolation from the rest of the world except your surroundings. Assuming there is a tsunami and all shops are destroyed, all the money is gone and there has already been a lot of damage to life and property. People usually provide services and take duties in exchange of other work and that is an example of barter system. For example, men go and clean streets and re-build the place while all women cook together and serve to the whole neighborhood. People exchange goods with each other for use too.

This.
Paper money requires a state and a complex and costly infrastructure in order to work, barter is completely cost-free.

Roll a dice FOR FREE every hour, and win up to $200 in btc ---> CLICK HERE

Tip me using the LIGHTING NETWORK! -->https://tippin.me/@Erre96344121
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 01:51:41 PM

When everyone has a robot and can produce everything he basically needs, so he don't need money to survive

AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 03:48:07 PM

When everyone has a robot and can produce everything he basically needs, so he don't need money to survive

It will take a lot of time reach that point. Also, you may have the robots, but no the natural resources in your country. Therefore, you will need to negotiate and do business with foreign countries to get resources that your country lacks. For example, you may live in a very cold country where you don't get any quality fruits, and countries that live in warmer places have abundant high quality tropical foods. You would need to negotiate with them and I don't think barter will be better than cryptocurrency.
greBit

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 04:08:11 PM

This.
Paper money requires a state and a complex and costly infrastructure in order to work, barter is completely cost-free.

Every successful currency needs to be supported by users, and the users will access their currency once their is a system which manages and renders this currency and provide benefit. If there is no way to transfer bitcoins or mine it, then why will people use bitcoin, the same goes for fiat currency too. If there is no paper to exchange, there will be regulations and problems with unit of value, durability, portability, etc.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 04:11:38 PM

There are markets in which price is not the primary clearing mechanism. They are called matching markets. One example is kidney donation. Selling a kidney for money is illegal in most countries, so there must be some other mechanism for matching donors and recipients.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
V for Varoufakis

Activity: 261

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 06:22:21 PM

Barter economy is free of usury.
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 01:05:25 AM

Barter economy is free of usury.

How about sharecropping? You can borrow my land, but you have to give me half of your crops.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
risingtide

Activity: 143
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 06:35:45 PM

Barter economy is pretty good for food. For example, trading fruit for spice herbs (or cannabis) / vegetables for dried beef. There's less of a reliance on "double coincidence of wants" that stifles most barter economies since people in general enjoy a wide variety of food.

🚀 🚀Bitcoin mining with NFTs 🚀 🚀
⚡️⚡️Join us in the Digimint Discord⚡️⚡️
CoinBateman

Activity: 392

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 06:37:47 PM

I think we conquered this idea a long time ago. Move forwards not backwards guys

@CoinBateman | Killer Crypto Instinct
oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 10:15:00 PM

I think we conquered this idea a long time ago. Move forwards not backwards guys

This. It's absolutely nonsense to consider barter economy again. There isn't a single thing that's better about barter economy than monetary economy. We just didn't had no other options back then but bartering, until we came up with the idea of money.
greBit

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 06:40:29 AM

This. It's absolutely nonsense to consider barter economy again. There isn't a single thing that's better about barter economy than monetary economy. We just didn't had no other options back then but bartering, until we came up with the idea of money.

And now everybody is so tired of the concept of money, they start considering ways like barter system? wow, humans are evolving backwards. We have a technology that is completely digital, defeats the purpose of carrying around money and letting banks steal it from us legally, something which helps us not overpay for simple services like transactions, something which empowers and represents us. Its called Bitcoin, and people ask questions about how barter could be useful. Dayum.
Falconer
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1126

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 04:25:01 PM

The barter economy is better when there is no greedy and bad people. They will take the advantage of this situation by scamming their 'buyer' with the stuff that have lower value than the stuff from the 'buyer'. It sounds impossible to be realized, and thats why the barter economy isnt suitable for the world nowadays.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 05:34:00 PM

The barter economy is better when ...

That's crazy. There is no situation where a barter economy is better. Even if there were some global disaster and the entire world reverted back to subsistence farming, money would be a major benefit.

If you have a job at McDonald's, how will you be paid? In Big Mac's? If you are getting a degree, how would you pay for it? Think about your life now. How would you pay for anything in a barter economy?

Falconer
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1126

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 12:54:53 PM

That's crazy. There is no situation where a barter economy is better. Even if there were some global disaster and the entire world reverted back to subsistence farming, money would be a major benefit.
Sorry professor, but I think you should quoted my whole comment  Roll Eyes

If you have a job at McDonald's, how will you be paid? In Big Mac's?
I hope I dont work there

Think about your life now.
Yes I have

PS: The barter economy is better when you get stuff with higher value than what you give. Have you heard about American Barter Exchange? Take a look here http://americanbarter.com and you may give your opinion there. Good luck.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
Miracal

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 01:09:44 PM

Sorry professor, but I think you should quoted my whole comment  Roll Eyes

If you have a job at McDonald's, how will you be paid? In Big Mac's?
I hope I dont work there

Think about your life now.
Yes I have

PS: The barter economy is better when you get stuff with higher value than what you give. Have you heard about American Barter Exchange? Take a look here http://americanbarter.com and you may give your opinion there. Good luck.

That's a stupid thing to say. The only reason he did not quote your full comment was because it was as irrelevant as your existence. As far as knowledge goes, you won't even get a job at Mcdonalds. Barter system was the most terrible way people handled transactions. 'The barter economy is better when you get stuff with higher value than what you give', you say. There are two parties involved in barter system, making the deal for the other person always bad as he will not be able to get stuff of equal value. That means half of the world will not get things/services at the value they deserve. Wow, terrible concept bro.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: