Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:38:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: can i mine any altcoin with any miner ?  (Read 797 times)
TheNabeel (OP)

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 07:55:04 AM

Hya

its a noob question but can i mine any altcoin with any miner for example lets say antminer s3 can i mine peercoin dogecoin or anyother coin with antminer s3 ? or it is only made for bitcoins ?
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GriffinHeart

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Hello there!

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 08:59:49 AM

In short, no. Altcoins uses different languages that they code in. Bitcoin uses SHA-256, litecoin uses scrypt and so does dogecoin I believe. You need to purchase a miner coded specifically for what you are planning to mine.

Hi there, I'm from South Africa.
This means I'm poor, I guess.
TheNabeel (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 09:25:16 AM

In short, no. Altcoins uses different languages that they code in. Bitcoin uses SHA-256, litecoin uses scrypt and so does dogecoin I believe. You need to purchase a miner coded specifically for what you are planning to mine.

which mean i can mine any altcoin with any scrypt miner ?
unsoindovo
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1042

https://locktrip.com/?refId=40964

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 04:34:20 PM

Hya

its a noob question but can i mine any altcoin with any miner for example lets say antminer s3 can i mine peercoin dogecoin or anyother coin with antminer s3 ? or it is only made for bitcoins ?

you need to know wich type o ALGO the coin use.
for example if you want to mine bitcoin, you need an SHA 256 asic miner.
if you want to mine doge or litecoin you need an scrypt asic miner...
and so on...

██▬▬▬

██▬

██▬

██▬▬▬

████           ▄▄█████████▄▄            ▄▄█████████▄▄        ████         █████      ██████████████████   ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████         ▄███████████████▄        ▄███████████████▄      ████       █████      ████████████████████  █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████        █████▀       ▀█████▄     █████▀       ▀█████     ████     █████         █       ████       █  ████     █████             ████     █████  
████       ████▀           ▀████▄   ████▀           ▀████    ████   █████                   ████          ████      ████     ████    ████      ████  
████      ████▀              ▀████ ▀███▀                     ████ █████                     ████          ████     █████     ████    ████     █████  
████      ████                 ████▄ ▀                       ████████                       ████          █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████      ████                  ▀████                        ████████                       ████          ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████      ████▄             ▄██▄ ▀████▄                      ████ █████                     ████          ████    ████       ████    ████            
████       ████▄           ▄████   ▀████▄           ▄████    ████   █████                   ████          ████    ▀████      ████    ████            
████        █████▄       ▄█████      █████▄       ▄█████     ████     █████                 ████          ████      ████     ████    ████            
████████████ ▀███████████████▀        ▀███████████████▀      ████       █████               ████          ████       ████    ████    ████            
█████████████  ▀▀█████████▀▀            ▀▀█████████▀▀        ████         █████             ████          ████        █████  ████    ████            

▬▬▬██

▬██

▬██

▬▬▬██
GriffinHeart

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Hello there!

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 05:18:41 PM

It all depends of what coin you want to mine. Each coin uses it's own specific algorithm, some have the same algorithm. You have to, in order to get profit, purchase a miner capable of the coin you want to mine's algorithm.  Cheesy

Hi there, I'm from South Africa.
This means I'm poor, I guess.
TheNabeel (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 06:11:08 PM

Hya

you need to know wich type o ALGO the coin use.
for example if you want to mine bitcoin, you need an SHA 256 asic miner.
if you want to mine doge or litecoin you need an scrypt asic miner...
and so on...

It all depends of what coin you want to mine. Each coin uses it's own specific algorithm, some have the same algorithm. You have to, in order to get profit, purchase a miner capable of the coin you want to mine's algorithm.  Cheesy

Thank You Both  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: