Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:45:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Volume in recent weeks has fallen off a cliff, what do you make of it?  (Read 3033 times)
keewee
Legendary

Activity: 1025
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 01:43:02 AM

Volume in recent weeks has fallen off a cliff, while price has went up, what do you make of it?
My theory is that there are not much people selling, holding the coins back to see what happens
after the halving of block reward. So for the people that want to get coins, they have to put up
increasingly high bids to get coins.

Is it because people got spooked when news of the SEC investigation was posted on here? Maybe they're afraid of how far the investigation could go, that other authorities could become involved, and that some of their activities with bitcoins could be exposed?

1keewee2vRp63UWvPBynT55ZYw6SUCKDB
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 01:43:18 AM

Who will sell me bitcoins for less then what the exchange will sell them to me for? I offer 9 usd per btc. Sound good? Why not?

Becuase u can sell them for more at an exchange.
Now why would i offer 14 usd per btc? I can buy for less at an exchange.

The exchange offers constant buy and asks which help determine what these eleet off exchange people buy and sell for in my mind.

The exchange is not selling them to you.  They are facilitating a trade between you and another person.

I am typing on a tablet. I have no need to type out extra words. U kniw exactly what i meant.

Sorry for your typing problems.  I'm happy to hear that you didn't actually believe the things you wrote.

Exchange order prices are usually accepted by independent dealers because exchanges are the most accurate and efficient means of price discovery, because they concentrate liquidity in one place.  They also make arbitrage easier, meaning that errors in the orders listed on them can be corrected quicker.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 01:54:47 AM

Who will sell me bitcoins for less then what the exchange will sell them to me for? I offer 9 usd per btc. Sound good? Why not?

Becuase u can sell them for more at an exchange.
Now why would i offer 14 usd per btc? I can buy for less at an exchange.

The exchange offers constant buy and asks which help determine what these eleet off exchange people buy and sell for in my mind.

The exchange is not selling them to you.  They are facilitating a trade between you and another person.

I am typing on a tablet. I have no need to type out extra words. U kniw exactly what i meant.

Sorry for your typing problems.  I'm happy to hear that you didn't actually believe the things you wrote.

Exchange order prices are usually accepted by independent dealers because exchanges are the most accurate and efficient means of price discovery, because they concentrate liquidity in one place.  They also make arbitrage easier, meaning that errors in the orders listed on them can be corrected quicker.

And now we have done a full circle.

Ooohh who sets the price? The exchanges. And of course the people who use them but it is easier to say the exchanges.

Their salad days... Aint here. Not ever.

:-$
hmmmstrange

Activity: 669
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 05:43:44 AM

Kids have gone back to school and no longer have the time to play "fx trader". Just shows that the demographics of bitcoin users are <22 year old kids.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 02:34:50 PM

Kids have gone back to school and no longer have the time to play "fx trader". Just shows that the demographics of bitcoin users are <22 year old kids.

+1 on that.

if last year holds true, in some ways, there will be a steady decline once people have paid for all their asic gear, it gets delivered,
and want to take some money back from the bitcoin economy by selling steadily.

with the reward being cut in half this could possibly worsen the condition if the price does not go up by quite a large
percentage.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 03:07:15 PM

The network has grown and stabilized, but that is boring to most people. We're in a lull. Where's all that vaporware people said they were working on? Where's the announcements from the alleged venture capitalists? If nothing else, we can look forward to another scam or theft to cause some volatility.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 03:23:32 PM

The volume is frighteningly low.  I've been on the edge of my seat, so to speak, the past few days.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
cheat_2_win

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 05:06:42 PM

It seems, volume is picking up now.
fbastage

Activity: 367

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 05:28:36 PM

I think posting the volume in USD is more appropriate.

I don't think the volume is down much, certainly not off a cliff.  Just that the total amount of USD is not increasing (and may be down a little due to recent scams or the off-exchange hypothesis).

mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 05:37:01 PM

I think posting the volume in USD is more appropriate.

I don't think the volume is down much, certainly not off a cliff.  Just that the total amount of USD is not increasing (and may be down a little due to recent scams or the off-exchange hypothesis).

It seems your chart is showing now is the lowest volume in at least a year...
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 05:39:11 PM

Heh maybe because it's Oct 1st? Wink
kentrolla

Activity: 1540
Merit: 565

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 05:39:38 PM

I think its because most of the big players are criminals and they are afraid to make any moves with the SEC investigations going on. The money launderers brought huge volume. They are laying low right now.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
fbastage

Activity: 367

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 05:40:41 PM

Heh maybe because it's Oct 1st? Wink

I think this is the reason too.   Or beginning of the week.  I used the 'weekly' time range.

I was going to mention this in my post.  I don't know the definitive answer, but I think the chart uses a fixed week starting on Sunday.  Someone might know for sure.

here's the 'daily' time period chart.  What I was hoping to demonstrate is that recent volume (since mid-aug) is at or above the volumes from May to July when viewed in USD.

miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 04:59:57 AM

As the Bitcoin economy grows, wealth creation will begin to occur within the system rather than primarily being brought in from external sources. That's almost certainly not what's going on here - it's probably more a lull in the face of several impending events (block reward halving, ASIC mining, etc). Volume from one exchange, even Gox, is no longer enough to reliably project moves.

Estimated Transaction Volume

Estimated Transaction Volume in USD
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: