Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:38:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a small CPU farm, need inputs regarding choice of cpu.  (Read 1676 times)
Cryptozillah (OP)

Activity: 687
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 08:22:54 AM

I am about to build 4-6 CPU rigs with stuff i have laying around since my GPU mining days.

I have alot of Asrock H81-Pro boards sitting in alu frames.
So. I am about to buy some Intel socket 1150 cpu:s now.

What cpu is the best bang for the buck here ? I5 or I7 ?

I would need some inputs here.
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 01:21:20 PM

GPU mining days.

Why would you go back to CPU mining?

Not your keys, not your coins!
Don007
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007

Live like there is no tomorrow!

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 01:32:53 PM

You can find some stats about CPU hashrate here: https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison#AMD

I'm also wondering why you would use a CPU mining rig nowadays or even still want to buy one.

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

-> Your line here during my inactivity? Feel free to PM <-
GriffinHeart

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Hello there!

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 02:39:00 PM

That's a stupid idea, CPUs take more power than profit gained...

Hi there, I'm from South Africa.
This means I'm poor, I guess.
atp1916
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 04:22:42 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2015, 04:40:36 PM by atp1916

OP,
The unlocked i5s would be the best bank for your buck here.  A 4690K is ~$230ish, and should produce near to what the i7s with their HT enabled hash rates would.

Edit:  Relevant article on Haswell undervolting.
atp1916
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 04:23:32 PM

You can find some stats about CPU hashrate here: https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison#AMD

I'm also wondering why you would use a CPU mining rig nowadays or even still want to buy one.

Some people do not pay for electricity...or their kw/h charge is so low that some form of hashing is possible.  Wink
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 04:25:04 PM

Some people do not pay for electricity...or their kw/h charge is so low that some form of hashing is possible.  Wink

GPUs are superior in that case too.

Not your keys, not your coins!
Don007
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 04:28:51 PM

Indeed, you're better off then with Nvidea GPU's (instead of AMD GPU's). However, buying CPU's in order to spare some bucks on electricity is crazy.. Buying components to build CPU or GPU miners is also crazy these days.

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

atp1916
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 04:39:29 PM

Some people do not pay for electricity...or their kw/h charge is so low that some form of hashing is possible.  Wink

Not when the algo he/she is attempting to mine is CPU-only.  

Your original comment (and Don007's) are out of scope of the OPs question and frankly derailing the original intent of the thread.  The OP asked for input about the bang for buck on Haswel-based CPUs.  The OP did not ask for anything else.  If he/she is making a decision to put up some CPU rigs, then he is likely past the profitability considerations.
hdmediaservices

Activity: 630
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 06:56:12 PM

What are a couple of good CPU only (GPU resistant) coins to mine?

tromp
Legendary

Activity: 978
Merit: 1087

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 08:42:47 PM

Are there any PoW schemes where people have had time to develop GPU code,
but yet no GPU implementation can match the best CPU code in speed?

Primecoin was a contender for many years, but is no longer GPU resistant.

Cryptonight was considered GPU resistant until GPU miners took over last year.

Has M7M (Magi) fallen prey yet?

My own Cuckoo Cycle might resist GPUs and still has a $500 bounty on it for GPUs
achieving speed parity, but without adoption, that seems insufficient motivation
for the GPU coders...

https://github.com/tromp/cuckoo
Don007
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 11:29:05 PM

Your original comment (and Don007's) are out of scope of the OPs question

Not really, as I sent him an URL to where he can find hashrate of some Intel CPU's --> https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison#Intel.

The OP asked for input about the bang for buck on Haswel-based CPUs. 

To determine what is the best 'bang for the buck', needs some calculations (with regard to the price). I think the TS can do that on it own, together with the information located at the URL I sent him.

The OP did not ask for anything else.  If he/she is making a decision to put up some CPU rigs, then he is likely past the profitability considerations.

Or I must be interpretating him wrong, or he actually is:

I am about to build 4-6 CPU rigs *snip*

Cryptozillah (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 04:51:12 AM
Last edit: August 03, 2015, 08:07:07 AM by Cryptozillah

Hello everyone.

I am going for cpu coins only. I think they will come back more and more. Just look at Axiom.
I have been looking at https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison#Intel. already but i was hoping someone here had some fresher numbers.

OP,
The unlocked i5s would be the best bank for your buck here.  A 4690K is ~$230ish, and should produce near to what the i7s with their HT enabled hash rates would.

Edit:  Relevant article on Haswell undervolting.

I have been checking that site already but it is not that many newer cpus listed.
4690k was one of the cpus i have checked out myself.

I will check the undervoltage link, thanks.

My own Cuckoo Cycle might resist GPUs and still has a $500 bounty on it for GPUs
achieving speed parity, but without adoption, that seems insufficient motivation
for the GPU coders...

That's the coin that has a cap on hashrate (magi)? If so need to find the cheapest CPU that meets that demand. My question is why probtc boards? Sure they're cheap but long wouldn't you want the smallest mobos around?
I have like at least fifteen asrock boards laying around so that is what i want to use for this Smiley
MaxDZ8

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 10:46:15 AM

There's absolutely no chance this will ever happen.

Yescrypt (being not compute-based) will be GPU-resistant for the foreseeable future (the GPU miner isn't very competitive AFAIK).
Cryptozillah (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 12:13:31 PM

I found some numbers on the 5820K mining Magi.
http://cryptomining-blog.com/4491-cpu-mining-the-coin-magi-xmg-what-can-you-expect/

5820K seem pretty neat. The question is: Buy 2-3 more expensive cpus or go on several cheaper models and try to overclock them a bit.
Cryptozillah (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 01:27:16 PM

Hello everyone.

I am going for cpu coins only. I think they will come back more and more. Just look at Axiom.
I have been looking at https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison#Intel. already but i was hoping someone here had some fresher numbers.

OP,

Edit:  Relevant article on Haswell undervolting.

I have been checking that site already but it is not that many newer cpus listed.
4690k was one of the cpus i have checked out myself.

I will check the undervoltage link, thanks.

for the GPU coders...

That's the coin that has a cap on hashrate (magi)? If so need to find the cheapest CPU that meets that demand. My question is why probtc boards? Sure they're cheap but long wouldn't you want the smallest mobos around?
I have like at least fifteen asrock boards laying around so that is what i want to use for this Smiley
How are you doing the powersupplies for this? Risking it with a lot of cheap low power ones or do you happen to have a ton of powersupplies as well?
I still have alot of PSU:s laying around since my GPU mining days. I just sold the GPU:s but kept the rest. All i need for this new rigs is cpu:s, right now there are Celerons mounted on the boards.
tromp
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 01:42:03 PM

That link shows an intel Core i7 consistently performing much worse than a GTX580.

Yescrypt (being not compute-based) will be GPU-resistant for the foreseeable future (the GPU miner isn't very competitive AFAIK).

Not very competitive can mean a lot of things. Is it slower than an intel Core i7 or not?
Also, how much effort has gone into developing yescript GPU miners?

djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2015, 02:18:40 PM

That link shows an intel Core i7 consistently performing much worse than a GTX580.

Not very competitive can mean a lot of things. Is it slower than an intel Core i7 or not?
Also, how much effort has gone into developing yescript GPU miners?

some effort, was asked to code it... (may-be there are some possibility to improve, haven't had time to check back...)
might have a look at your cuckoo... if the bounty is still there...

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
tromp
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 02:23:40 PM

might have a look at your cuckoo... if the bounty is still there...

Yep, still there at https://github.com/tromp/cuckoo

"GPU Speed Parity Bounty

$500 for an open source implementation for a consumer GPU that is as fast as a high-end Intel Core i7 running 16 threads. Again with N ranging over {2^28,2^30,2^32}.

Note that there is already a cuda_miner.cu, my attempted port of the edge trimming part of cuckoo_miner.c to CUDA, but while it seems to run ok for medium graph sizes, it crashes my computer at larger sizes, and I haven't had the chance to debug the issue yet (I prefer to let my computer work on solving 8x8 connect-4:-) Anyway, this could make a good starting point.

These bounties are to expire at the end of 2015. They are admittedly modest in size, but then claiming them might only require one or two insightful tweaks to my existing implementations."

It could be that my existing cuda code is working, but crashes at larger settings due to lack of free GPU memory on my iMac. So, if you could just run my code on a discrete nVidia GPU card and let me know if it works at larger settings, that would be helpful.
MaxDZ8

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 05:34:31 AM

Absolutely not! That is not what you think it is! The fact that GPUs are in most Top50 clusters is absolutely coincidence!

</sarcasm>

(1) Not very competitive can mean a lot of things. Is it slower than an intel Core i7 or not?
(2) Also, how much effort has gone into developing yescript GPU miners?
(1) last time I checked the users provided way too little data to draw a conclusion; it seemed to me we were talking about 50% of CPU performance at same cost. Besides, I don't consider i7 to be widespread enough to be an installed base; I'm sure you guys think it's the minimum acceptable. It isn't.
(2) The same as usual I guess: they just hammered it till it works and I've been told it has been quite some work. I'm surprised it works at all especially on AMD CL.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: