Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:42:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Importing wallet.dat ?  (Read 1694 times)
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6099

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 04:38:28 PM

Now and after I upgraded to Windows 10  & as some of you have seen my old threads here and know the high Paranoïa that I have ... I made a blockchain.info wallet , I sent about 0.25 BTC to that wallet which means I have only one address on that account for now .

Beside the 0.25 BTC which are on my btc wallet , I have a backup of my wallet from Bitcoin Core .
I need to basically send funds to my Electrum wallet and I know I could do the following :

for the 0.25 BTC I could just send it but for the .dat it's something else because Electrum don't allow importing it .

I could import wallet.dat to Blockchain.info https://blockchain.info/fr/wallet/import-wallet from here but why It doesn't require connecting to my account there ?

And If I manage to import it , will I have all addresses that I had on .dat to my Blockchain.info account ? I mean I can sign messages from my Blockchain.info of all addresses I had on Bitcoin Core ?

Or .. is there is any wallet.dat reader ? basically convert it to string or something so I can read it using Notepad and I copy private keys and do whatever I need to ?

Gracias amigos  Sad

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 04:42:37 PM

Or .. is there is any wallet.dat reader ? basically convert it to string or something so I can read it using Notepad and I copy private keys and do whatever I need to ?

Gracias amigos  Sad

Yes, if you import it back into a fresh bitcoin-qt installation, you can use dumpprivkey.

And If I manage to import it , will I have all addresses that I had on .dat to my Blockchain.info account ? I mean I can sign messages from my Blockchain.info of all addresses I had on Bitcoin Core ?

Yes.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 04:44:57 PM

Gracias amigos  Sad

Yes, if you import it back into a fresh bitcoin-qt installation, you can use dumpprivkey.

Yes.

No mate (for your first answer) , I need something else because Bitcoin Core is totally screwed on my PC and takes always time to reindex which doesn't really worth it I'am looking for something fast .

for your second answer , well I don't have option to import .dat on my blockchain.info account , I only have that link from google to the Import wallet.dat page and if I import , how it will get linked to my account that I already have ?  Huh

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2015, 05:00:43 PM

-snip-
I could import wallet.dat to Blockchain.info https://blockchain.info/fr/wallet/import-wallet from here but why It doesn't require connecting to my account there ?

Blockchain.info will create a new account when you import wallet.dat file. AFAIK, you can't import wallet.dat file to an existing wallet.

Wallet.dat backed up will contain all addresses. But, if you have a backup of wallet.dat before you used 100 addresses, then you need to get a new backup of wallet.dat.

P.S. I missed your later question. Yes, you can sign any message using all the addresses you own which you had on Bitcoin Core.

Quote from: Stephen Gornick (http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/a/13286)
The Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind client's keypool has by default 100 Bitcoin addresses. Each spend transaction that has change chews up one of those addresses. Additionally each click on New Address will consume an address from the keypool as well. So you should be able to get by without a new backup until after 100 spend transactions plus any requests for a New Address.

So if you do 10 spend transactions a month, and receive funds 5 times a month you would be fine with a backup every 4 months maybe.

A backup plan should consider that backups fail, so multiple backups don't hurt anything.

The size of the keypool can be configured so that frequent use can occur without having to make backups as frequently. For instance, weekly backups would be fine for a wallet that does 100 transactions a week but the keypool has size of 250.

When the wallet is encrypted, no keys are added to the pool until an action that requires the passphrase to be entered. Backup strategy should take this into account.

And finally, if you import a private key, that key will not exist in any previously made backups.

Gracias amigos  Sad

You can use Pywallet. In fact, I recommend it. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0

I recommend you to dump private keys using Pywallet and then, sweep Bitcoins from it to Electrum or create a new Electrum wallet to import those private keys. If you still insist to use Blockchain.info, click "Import / Export", click "Import Wallet" and then paste the output you got after running pywallet.py --dumpwallet.

Deathwing
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1328

Stultorum infinitus est numerus

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2015, 05:03:33 PM

When you import a wallet.dat to Blockchain, all the addresses that was included with the wallet.dat gets recorded to your Blockchain.info wallet, If you want you can transfer the funds to a different address.

Or you can use Multibit
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 05:09:01 PM

As usual Muhammed Zakir save the situation . Thank you so much mate , I really appreciate what you are doing to the community .
I also sent you 5$ as a thanks Grin I hope the address on your profile is the right one .

@Deathwing  Pretty sure that Multibit don't read wallet.dat either .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2015, 05:11:16 PM

As usual Muhammed Zakir save the situation .

It will be helpful if you can cut this out from your posts. People might think you are an alt of mine. Roll Eyes

Thank you so much mate , I really appreciate what you are doing to the community .
I also sent you 5$ as a thanks Grin I hope the address on your profile is the right one .

It was not needed. Anyway, thank you!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: