Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:13:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 marks the end of "pay once, use forever" software  (Read 914 times)
TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 04:05:57 AM

Windows 10 marks the end of "pay once, use forever" software

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/31/rising_and_ongoing_cost_of_windows/

<< Welcome to Microsoft's pay-pay-pay plan. >>

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2015, 05:25:33 AM

Windows 10 marks the end of Microsoft Windows use forever.

-fixed that for you
Litejavichu

Activity: 693
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 07:31:19 AM

Windows 10 marks the end of "pay once, use forever" software

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/31/rising_and_ongoing_cost_of_windows/

<< Welcome to Microsoft's pay-pay-pay plan. >>
They do not know another language

ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2015, 08:37:56 AM

Well I'm enjoying Windows 10 for the most part. It's still a little rough around the edges and sadly they've removed a lot of features that I really enjoyed in Win 8.1 but for me the addition of Cortana makes up for its shortcomings. I think having the option to use voice on top of the traditional keyboard and mouse truly adds to the desktop experience. Plus it's still early, I'm sure it'll get a lot better with time. Seriously for those who haven't used it yet, don't knock it until you've tried it  Wink
bram_vnl
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 08:09:27 PM

FUCK 8 AND 10

i love windows 7
Borisz

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 08:21:06 PM

FUCK 8 AND 10

i love windows 7

Let me guess, you like the start menu? Have you tried 8 or 10?

Windows 10 marks the end of Microsoft Windows use forever.

-fixed that for you

Why so much hate? Just curious.
mookid

Activity: 446
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2015, 09:24:39 PM

I'm mostly happy with Windows 10. However, i can't bare the lack of some features that were present in previous versions, for example, now we are forced to use windows update and we don't even get basic information like the size  of the updates. The app store is basically useless, etc
Timzim103

Activity: 91
Merit: 15

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 09:37:24 PM

I feel right at home on an Ubuntu box. I still use Windows 7 mostly for one silly MMO game I'm too lazy to maintain on Wine.

I'm not a hater though... I enjoyed every version of Windows since 3.0 except for Windows Me and Vista. I'm curious about Windows 10 but hesitate to download it because I suspect if I want to use a word processor once in a while, and a few other apps that might suit my fancy one afternoon in November, I might be tagged with a recurring payment model of some kind. Those could add up. That might work great in the business world, but for a home PC I use once in a while to update my resume and play a few games... nah...
commandrix

Activity: 798

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 01:45:22 AM

Not if enough of us just refuse to pay for Windows 10 in the first place and switch to Linux or Mac.
Coins168

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 01:48:08 AM

Wow your windows is so outdated, Windows 7 and Windows 10?
I'm using Windows 98!  Grin
TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 02:37:48 AM

How to uninstall Windows Update KB3035583 – The Windows 10 AKA Squares 10 downloader

http://www.myce.com/news/how-to-uninstall-kb3035583-the-windows-10-downloader-for-windows-7-and-8-1-75681/

We tried using Windows 10 for real work and... oh, the horror

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/07/windows_10_for_windows_8_and_7_users/

Why Microsoft's mobile cancer has ruined Windows 10

http://www.itproportal.com/2015/05/04/why-microsofts-mobile-cancer-ruined-windows-10/

Windows 10 to make the Secure Boot alt-OS lock out a reality

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/windows-10-to-make-the-secure-boot-alt-os-lock-out-a-reality/

Windows 10 Shares Your Wi-Fi With Contacts

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/windows-10-shares-your-wi-fi-with-contacts/

Windows 10 Home edition may force updates on you

http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-home-edition-may-force-updates/

Fanbois designing Windows 10 – where's it going to end?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/02/microsoft_windows_10_democratic_design_no_thanks/

Mozilla CEO Sends Angry Open Letter To Microsoft Over Changing Windows 10 Browser Defaults

http://techcrunch.com/2015/07/30/pushed-over-the-edge/

Rolling Back From Windows 10 To Your Older OS Appears Problematic

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-revert-os,29727.html

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 10:01:20 AM

Wow your windows is so outdated, Windows 7 and Windows 10?
I'm using Windows 98!  Grin

Wow all of you guys are outdated. I'm using Windows 2000  Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

paradoxum

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 11:21:20 AM

Not if enough of us just refuse to pay for Windows 10 in the first place and switch to Linux or Mac.

Isn't that like running away from a bicycle to end up getting hit by a train  Cheesy
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 11:31:31 AM

Isn't that like running away from a bicycle to end up getting hit by a train  Cheesy

i love my train (gentoo and qubes)
try to beat me with a bicycle ;-)

(though your example is not good... with linux i can go where no windows has ever been [eg filesystem snapshots, working deinstallations, good looking ui and so on] ;-)

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
paradoxum

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 11:40:11 AM

(though your example is not good... with linux i can go where no windows has ever been [eg filesystem snapshots, working deinstallations, good looking ui and so on] ;-)

It took me 15 years to relinquish my command prompt when I dropped Win 95 and went to xp (having started with Apple Basic and MS DOS and 300 baud modems).  Now I'm supposed to go back to command line again - sorry but this old dog refuses to learn new tricks. Bring on the holoscreens from Minority Report.

For pure work yes Linux/Unix is better but I still think Windows is has it for eye candy.  Good luck trying to get a 9 screen setup elsewhere. Mac can do it as long as you sell a kidney.... or 2.
onemorexmr

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 11:49:05 AM

It took me 15 years to relinquish my command prompt when I dropped Win 95 and went to xp (having started with Apple Basic and MS DOS and 300 baud modems).  Now I'm supposed to go back to command line again - sorry but this old dog refuses to learn new tricks. Bring on the holoscreens from Minority Report.

For pure work yes Linux/Unix is better but I still think Windows is has it for eye candy.  Good luck trying to get a 9 screen setup elsewhere. Mac can do it as long as you sell a kidney.... or 2.

to each his own ;-)
i prefer linux eyecandy over mac and win. and a 9-screen desktop setup is no problem with linux ;-)

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
mm5aes

Activity: 176

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 12:06:30 PM

Given there is now a mandatory user agreement that allows microsoft and the US government to legally snoop on you're computer use without a warrant, I will be staying well away from the latest microsoft products.
Paying daily for the privilege is just obscene  Wink

Of course, installing the latest updates for 7 means you're agreeing to the same snoopers charter. A search with miss google should point you at how to remove the spyware......

As for 8 and 10, for the life of me I can't fathom who would wan't there desktop to look like their 'phone! Saying that, been in the industry since before Gates started, was even microsoft certified at one time, watched him hold back progress ever since  Roll Eyes

<-- Disclaimer here  Grin

onemorexmr

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 12:10:19 PM

Of course, installing the latest updates for 7 means you're agreeing to the same snoopers charter. A search with miss google should point you at how to remove the spyware......

the problem with this is:
  • you have to trust google
  • you have to check again anytime a new updates for the ms spyware arrives

i need ms (well.. at least in a vm with a dedicated gpu) for some dx10+ games (and fallout4). i can live with them spying that machine. but i'd prefer they wouldnt.

but what is with HR departments? or hospitals?

paradoxum

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 12:24:14 PM

Given there is now a mandatory user agreement that allows microsoft and the US government to legally snoop on you're computer use without a warrant, I will be staying well away from the latest microsoft products.
Paying daily for the privilege is just obscene  Wink

As for 8 and 10, for the life of me I can't fathom who would wan't there desktop to look like their 'phone! Saying that, been in the industry since before Gates started, was even microsoft certified at one time, watched him hold back progress ever since  Roll Eyes

<-- Disclaimer here  Grin

Gates helped push computing into schools (look what Jobs wanted at that time on a per system basis from schools). The slouch in MSFT was been Ballmer ran the company headless and let AAPL decide that 4 year old hardware with rounded edges was innovative.  The only thing "different" about AAPL now it the 25 different connectors they use - Firewire, Thunderbolt, Lightning proprietary charging cables (because a micro USB wasn't hipster enough) - they've become the new Sony  Cheesy
HeroCat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 01:06:20 PM

You can use the previous Windows versions, like Windows 8 - they are much cheaper, and then when will be Windows next version, you can switch to Windows 10. In that way, you can save a lot of money  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: