Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:47:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: About Electrum servers  (Read 845 times)
GODLIKE (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

LOL what you looking at?

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 06:16:44 AM

Some questions on Electrum servers.

Who manages them?
Who funds them?
Can I set one up?
How can users trust they won't come down ever?
Would I lose all my funds if the Electrum servers were dismissed?
What if only some 10 servers remain?
Would I be able to recover my funds in that case?

I see that COINOMI uses "Electrum server software": does this mean they use the Electrum servers or only the software and the nodes are COINOMI only?

BITCOIN FOREVER news aggregator: only the most important news on the cryptoworld!
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2015, 07:57:20 AM

Some questions on Electrum servers.

Who manages them?

Anyone that wants to.

Who funds them?

The person running it/them.

Can I set one up?

Yes, well you are allowed to, I guess that was the question.

How can users trust they won't come down ever?

Set your own up.

Would I lose all my funds if the Electrum servers were dismissed?

No, you could still export the private keys into a different wallet.

What if only some 10 servers remain?

You only need one, but there might be issues regarding privacy.

Would I be able to recover my funds in that case?

In the case of "only" 10 servers? Yes.

I see that COINOMI uses "Electrum server software": does this mean they use the Electrum servers or only the software and the nodes are COINOMI only?

I dont know.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
GODLIKE (OP)

LOL what you looking at?

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:02:31 AM

Thank you for your time, dude  Smiley

What do you mean by "No, you could still export the private keys into a different wallet."

I can use the seed to access my funds from another wallet?
There's this thing I can't understand: COINOMI doesn't offer the chance to make a backup of the wallet, or at least I can't find any option to do that.
Does this mean I can recovery my funds from within any wallet, when I use my seed when I make a new wallet?

BITCOIN FOREVER news aggregator: only the most important news on the cryptoworld!
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2015, 12:16:39 PM

What do you mean by "No, you could still export the private keys into a different wallet."

No, the seed used in electrum is specific for that software. There might be a wallet that uses the same kind of seeds in the future though. You can however use electrum to extract the actual used private keys in a format that is pretty much compatible with all other wallets (WIF wallet import format). The private key is what allows you to spend the coins and its not wallet specific.

There's this thing I can't understand: COINOMI doesn't offer the chance to make a backup of the wallet, or at least I can't find any option to do that.
Does this mean I can recovery my funds from within any wallet, when I use my seed when I make a new wallet?

It greatly depends on the seed used as I dont know that wallet I can not say much about it. The seed is just a very specific way to write a very large number, thus its important which words are used in which order. If one software is using 1000 words and the next 1001 the seeds do not result in the same number when calculated back and thus lead to different private keys.

There is a seed comparison somewhere, but I cant find it right now. IIRC most seeds are different between different wallets, even Electrum 1.9.8 uses a different seed than Electrum 2 versions. But you will always be able to restore the same wallet with the same software if you have the seed. You may however not be able to do so with a different wallet. As long as the wallet software is sufficiently documented it is still possible to write or use a custom tool to extract the private keys.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
GODLIKE (OP)

LOL what you looking at?

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 07:02:51 PM

No, the seed used in electrum is specific for that software. There might be a wallet that uses the same kind of seeds in the future though. You can however use electrum to extract the actual used private keys in a format that is pretty much compatible with all other wallets (WIF wallet import format). The private key is what allows you to spend the coins and its not wallet specific.

It greatly depends on the seed used as I dont know that wallet I can not say much about it. The seed is just a very specific way to write a very large number, thus its important which words are used in which order. If one software is using 1000 words and the next 1001 the seeds do not result in the same number when calculated back and thus lead to different private keys.

There is a seed comparison somewhere, but I cant find it right now. IIRC most seeds are different between different wallets, even Electrum 1.9.8 uses a different seed than Electrum 2 versions. But you will always be able to restore the same wallet with the same software if you have the seed. You may however not be able to do so with a different wallet. As long as the wallet software is sufficiently documented it is still possible to write or use a custom tool to extract the private keys.

Thank you very much again for your time, man.
I couldn't find these info anywhere.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: