Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:28:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I Predict Difficulty Will Be Over 100 Million by Summer 2013  (Read 12409 times)
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 07:06:09 PM

hey send me a prv msg  if bfl  pays in btc not promised   imaginary asics in the future like u geting paid in

send me link i troll for them 2

What?

Relax, he's just trolling the shit out of the mining speculation subforum with terrible grammar and zero logic. I ignored him when he hit 13 posts (a new record for any newbie, by the way).

"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NEO2012

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 07:24:53 PM

hey send me a prv msg  if bfl  pays in btc not promised   imaginary asics in the future like u geting paid in

send me link i troll for them 2

What?

Relax, he's just trolling the shit out of the mining speculation subforum with terrible grammar and zero logic. I ignored him when he hit 13 posts (a new record for any newbie, by the way).

wtf is a troll? anyway

i dont get it

gypsy corbs talking sheat or what?Smiley

dont make use wiki now
erem

Activity: 128

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 03:51:46 PM

This is mostly for my own amusement. Bump this to tell me how wrong or right I was when summer arrives  Grin

summer arrives. Your hit was 5 times to big Smiley

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 04:00:17 PM

This is mostly for my own amusement. Bump this to tell me how wrong or right I was when summer arrives  Grin

Well, he still has two more months. The term Summer 2013 is not a point in time but a range in time, from June 21st to September 21st.
He could still make it, but it is gonna be rough.

Great thread bump though Wink

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
johnwhitestar

Activity: 697
Merit: 262

Slimcoin - the Proof of Donation inventors!

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 08:00:08 PM

But OBSI has run with the money of his investors

FiatKiller

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 08:06:20 PM

Well, he still has two more months. The term Summer 2013 is not a point in time but a range in time, from June 21st to September 21st.

He said when "Summer arrives" i.e. June 21st-22nd. So prediction was def off.

LTC: LdxgJQLUdr8hZ79BV5AYbxkBUdaXctXAPi
MoonCoin Gambling: https://coin-horse.com/MON/
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 08:45:58 PM

He said to bump the thread when summer arrives. His prediction was "I Predict Difficulty Will Be Over 100 Million by Summer 2013".

FiatKiller

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 09:21:48 PM

In other words to see if he was correct. Someone help me out here...  lol

k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 09:55:39 PM

In other words to see if he was correct. Someone help me out here...  lol

I think we are hung up on the legal definition vs the colloquial definition.
'by" can mean one of the following:
1: in proximity to : near <standing by the window>
2a : through or through the medium of : via <enter by the door>
2b : in the direction of : toward <north by east>
2c : into the vicinity of and beyond : past <went right by him>
3a : during the course of <studied by night>
3b : not later than <by 2 p.m.>
4a : through the agency or instrumentality of <by force>
4b : born or begot of
4c : sired or borne by
5: with the witness or sanction of <swear by all that is holy>
6a : in conformity with <acted by the rules>
6b : according to <called her by name>
7a : on behalf of <did right by his children>
7b : with respect to <a lawyer by profession>
8a : in or to the amount or extent of <win by a nose>
8b chiefly Scottish : in comparison with : beside

I think this usage would be definition 3b or possibly 3a.
So read his statement like this "I predict difficulty will be over 100 million during the course of summer 2013"
or like this "I predict difficulty will be over 100 million not later than summer 2013".
To me that seems like summer counts. /shrug

Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 10:17:14 PM

So read his statement like this "I predict difficulty will be over 100 million during the course of summer 2013"
or like this "I predict difficulty will be over 100 million not later than summer 2013".

So if I say "I'll be at work by 8am", I really mean "between 8am and 8:59:59am"?

k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 10:33:06 PM

So if I say "I'll be at work by 8am", I really mean "between 8am and 8:59:59am"?

8am is a specific point in time. 8:01am is different than 8am. If you said you will be back at work by mid-afternoon, does that mean precisely 3pm? Or does it mean a range of time around 3pm?

Mabsark
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 02:12:26 AM

He said to bump the thread when summer arrives. His prediction was "I Predict Difficulty Will Be Over 100 Million by Summer 2013".

That actually means before the beginning of Summer, or to put it another way, by the end of Spring.
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 04:22:38 AM

That actually means before the beginning of Summer, or to put it another way, by the end of Spring.

You only read the first half of the thread, didn't you.  Wink

Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:12:11 PM

8am is a specific point in time. 8:01am is different than 8am. If you said you will be back at work by mid-afternoon, does that mean precisely 3pm? Or does it mean a range of time around 3pm?

I see what you're saying.

So if I switch it up to " I'll have the project done by Friday ", what does that mean to you? To me (and my employers are least), it means that by Friday morning when I arrive everything is done so we can go over it ..not 11:59pm that Friday night.

Anyway, I don't even know why we're arguing this haha ..difficulty isn't going to get past 100m by the end of September. Tongue

FiatKiller

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 01:48:48 PM

Let's all just agree that K9 is wrong.  lol

I do think it could hit 70M easily by SEP because if it keeps going up 25% every 2 weeks then do the math...

7/15 - ~25
8/1 - 31
8/15 - 47
8/30 - 70

BFL is starting to gear-up the faster units shipping and another Avalon batch coming, and the Block Eruptors...

Another pet peeve: If it's early in the week,  I hate it when people say "next Friday" when they actually mean "this Firday"
or even "Friday". Ugh.

Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 02:21:16 PM

Let's all just agree that K9 is wrong.  lol

I do think it could hit 70M easily by SEP because if it keeps going up 25% every 2 weeks then do the math...

7/15 - ~25
8/1 - 31
8/15 - 47
8/30 - 70

BFL is starting to gear-up the faster units shipping and another Avalon batch coming, and the Block Eruptors...

Another pet peeve: If it's early in the week,  I hate it when people say "next Friday" when they actually mean "this Firday"
or even "Friday". Ugh.

It's not going up 25% every 2 weeks, especially not now the price of BTC is going down. Last difficulty increase was only 10%, and the next jump is estimated to be about the same or a bit lower even. Now there will be bigger jumps in the near future as larger batches of ASICs arrive but a constant increase of 25% is not realistic. 35M difficulty by September would be my estimate, but it could be lower if the price of BTC continues to drop.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 05:12:21 PM

I see what you're saying.

So if I switch it up to " I'll have the project done by Friday ", what does that mean to you? To me (and my employers are least), it means that by Friday morning when I arrive everything is done so we can go over it ..not 11:59pm that Friday night.

Anyway, I don't even know why we're arguing this haha ..difficulty isn't going to get past 100m by the end of September. Tongue

Good example of using a day of the week to specify a range of time. Substituting in the two most relevant definitions of "by" we get:
"I'll have the project done not later than Friday."
"I'll have the project done during the course of Friday."
What does "not later than Friday mean"? To me, later than Friday means sometime that is not Friday, which would be Saturday.
Also you could say "I'll have the project done not later than 2-5pm". You are specifying a window of time during which the project will complete.

It is just an interesting discussion to me because I have seen so many bets hinge on imprecise wording.
It would be unlikely that difficulty will hit 100M by Sept 21st, but kind of cool that the OP called it back in Sept 2012.  Cheesy

Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 06:11:22 PM

The discussion should be very simple since this is what the OP said in his first post:

Summer has arrived and we're at 21.3M difficulty. OP was wrong, end of discussion. Tongue

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
pikeadz

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 10:47:38 PM

Wow, how wrong you were. 
rpg

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 01:19:41 AM

not too far. we still have a month to the end of the summer
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: