Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 02:32:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Threats to bitcoin  (Read 2449 times)
ausbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 08:47:16 AM

What are the biggest threats to bitcoin right now or in the near future,
I mean things that can really be harmful to the network.

List anything you can think of, just lately after the resent stress test there has been sone interesting discussions going on.
Solange

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 08:55:25 AM

You just want threats to the network? I guess there's not much other than spam. I think the biggest threat outside of that though are strict regulations and apathy and cynicism from the mainstream.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 08:56:38 AM

A general loss of trust in bitcoin by hardcore bitcoiners would be the worst that could happen.

Developpers leaving bitcoin. Governments really hammering down bitcoin. Some centralized mining farm that takes over most of the hashrate.

Although, in the end, bitcoin has proven to be quite resilient to most that happens.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2015, 08:57:25 AM

The crypto is solid. Bitcoin will last centuries.

Whether or not people use it is up to people.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 09:11:45 AM

the 60%+ of the network is in the hand of china, it may not be a threats right now but it could be in the future, if 51% would be more profitable for them when the supply will be lower and the value of bitcoin will be very high...
neoneros

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I can draw your avatar!

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2015, 09:39:50 AM

The biggest threat would be demonisation by banks and governments who are afraid they cannot get a grip on BTCitcoin and have no way to regulate that what has driven them for so long, money and the choke it has on people so they can be slaves to the economy is going to slip away slowly and there is nothing they can do, or so it seems, they have deep pockets and a wide array of channels to posion the minds of the majority to take a stand against BTCitcoin.  This is what might undermine the blockchain, make the users, miners and believers into paria's, outcasts of society.

Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 09:49:03 AM

Ignorance and stupidity of the mass audience.

If everybody would understand how their current money works, they would switch to alternatives like Bitcoin instantly. Too bad the powers that be have done an excellent job at keeping the sheeple naive and uninformed.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 1432

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 09:50:11 AM

What are the biggest threats to bitcoin right now or in the near future,
I mean things that can really be harmful to the network.

List anything you can think of, just lately after the resent stress test there has been sone interesting discussions going on.

Centralization and blockchain bloat.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Thekool1s
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 09:54:55 AM

Isp shutting down nodes etc
Governments secretly buying bitcoins and destroying them
Satoshi selling his 1 million BTC Tongue
Centralization by microwallets for big business etc
Scammers in the community
The list is very big if you count all of them
bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2015, 10:21:32 AM

My biggest problem is with new users that come in here and post some Panic Threads from time to time. I mean why don't they just lean back and try to understand the system. Angry

Kazimir
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 10:24:03 AM

How would that be a treat?

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Kazimir
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 10:25:55 AM

My biggest problem is with new users that come in here and post some Panic Threads from time to time. I mean why don't they just lean back and try to understand the system. Angry
That, yep.

Seriously, does it not occur to them that in the past 6.5 years of Bitcoin, perhaps somebody else might have had the same idea? (especially coming from them as total newbies)

mallard

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 10:27:58 AM

the 60%+ of the network is in the hand of china, it may not be a threats right now but it could be in the future, if 51% would be more profitable for them when the supply will be lower and the value of bitcoin will be very high...

I don't think a 51% attack would be profitable.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 10:29:57 AM

not now of course but read my last part of that quote, the possibility is there
Ingatqhvq

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 10:31:23 AM

The mine will be centralizated may is the biggest threaten for bitocin

yatsey87

Activity: 840
Merit: 509

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 10:52:10 AM

I think the biggest threat is the need to make the block size larger. It's not really a problem at the minute but it will be in the future, but I hope its sorted long before then.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 11:16:35 AM

That, yep.

Seriously, does it not occur to them that in the past 6.5 years of Bitcoin, perhaps somebody else might have had the same idea? (especially coming from them as total newbies)

Panic threads are not a threat to bitcoin. What is posted on this forum hardly has an impact on the price.. The big movers do not base their moves on threads about bitcoin falling posted by a newbie user here.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2015, 11:23:56 AM

Well a major threat would be the refusal to use the search button. There have been countless discussions to this very subject.

I'd say that the only real risk is a 51% attack. Besides that, the only real threats would be events that could possibly destroy or severely damage our planet/civilization. Something in the lines of a Hypernova in which the gamma ray burst is directed towards Earth. People shouldn't worry about 51% that much, nor about possible weaknesses in encryption, as Bitcoin can always get upgraded/fixed.

I think the biggest threat is the need to make the block size larger. It's not really a problem at the minute but it will be in the future, but I hope its sorted long before then.
Nonsense. That's not a threat at all.

Neither were the spam attacks, and yet they happened.

Isp shutting down nodes etc
Satoshi selling his 1 million BTC Tongue
-snip-
ISP's can't shut down a node if they do not know that it is a node. Exactly what I'm doing under a VPN, the ISP does not know.
Bitcoins can't be destroyed, but rather abandoned. Even if we are left with only a single Bitcoin, we can divide it enough times for everyone. If Satoshi does sell his stash, that would only have an affect on the price (supply and demand).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 11:51:03 PM

governments making their own crypto and saying that its the legitimate, legal and good crypto. And most people in the world will believe it, even if people on this forum won't.
Jorge320

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 11:59:33 PM

Legislation against crypto in general is of concerns to me, I definitely could see with the upcoming election year in the US hitting some obstacles from candidates funded by the financial institutions.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: