Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 11:55:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you spending your Bitcoin?  (Read 1229 times)
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 07:31:41 AM

the idea about bitcoin is "saving" not spending..
i always advise people not to hold FIAT for 5-10 years as $10 today may buy 8 loaves of bread, but in 10 years it may not even buy you one.. so spend FIAT and convert excess into bitcoin to hold.

after all a bitcoin in 2010 wouldnt have bought you a crumb of a pizza.. but now just 1bitcoin can buy you 10 large pizza's..

in short:
fiat: inflationary=spend as soon as you get
btc: deflationary= save until it can buy you more thing then its original purchase value

as for what companies do.. such as those that are linked through bitpay.. those conversions do not affect the bitcoin price on the many public exchanges. simply because bitpay do private swaps and funds never touch the public exchanges, thus dont affect public prices

That is a bit over exaggerated.. Even if inflation hits 3%, your fiat doesnt lose 8 times its buying power for food.. I do agree that you may buy only 6 breads in 10 years and that saving is therefore non optimal, unless you can increase your holdings by more than the inflation every year.
dollarneed

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 07:36:40 AM

yeah i was spending my bitcoin for top up my internet conection and even for buying my needs,
but i dont spend all of my bitcoin
kickflip81

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 07:44:53 AM

I spend most of my bitcoin at purse.io or bitcart.io to shop at Amazon
Derrike

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 09:21:45 AM

I spend my Bitcoins to buy bitcointalk accounts to increase my Bitcoin stock.

So yes I'm spending my Bitcoin to increase my Bitcoins.
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 11:29:59 AM

Before I do but for now I'm holding it hoping it's price will pump out in the future
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 01:14:03 PM

I just read this:
http://www.finance-guy.net/finblog/how-will-you-spend-your-bitcoin/10/8/2014

Makes an interesting point.  If we buy stuff with BTC and the company just sells it for cash right away, it's probably not good for the BTC price.

What do you think?  Will shopping with BTC be good or bad for BTC?
Spending Bitcoins is good. You can compensate the company's dumping of their bitcoins, by buying back the same amount of bitcoins you spent yourself.

Before I do but for now I'm holding it hoping it's price will pump out in the future
This line of thinking is a mistake. Please let me copy an answer I've mentioned in some other similar topics as well:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Even if you consider your bitcoins as long term investment, rather than spending money - what do you think will help raising the value of your precious bitcoins more:

• 1. Hodling your bitcoins and spending USD, thus only stimulating the USD economy

or

• 2. Spending your bitcoins, thus stimulating the BTC economy, and immediately buying back new bitcoins (on exchange or circle or whatever), thus increasing demand for Bitcoin on the market.

Notice that the end result is the same: you essentially purchased some stuff, lost some USD, and kept your BTC. But with option nr. 2, you're actively helping to raise the Bitcoin price level on two ends: Bitcoin economy AND market demand. I really don't understand why even the most fanatic Bitcoin owners don't seem to get this Undecided

Especially if you're a Bitcoin fan, believer, enthusiast, investor, or hodler, SPEND THEM! (And immediately refill your stash of bitcoins by buying new ones with fiat)

By just sitting on your coins, instead of using them, Bitcoin won't grow! Spend them, and buy back at the same time.

If you are concerned about the 0.2% exchange fee that this will cost you: think how utterly significant this is when Bitcoin rises a few hundred % in value.

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
Pk880058

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 03:05:33 PM

I spend my Bitcoins to buy bitcointalk accounts to increase my Bitcoin stock.

So yes I'm spending my Bitcoin to increase my Bitcoins.
Nice strategy man.
I didn't think of this.
I'm also gonna do the same thing.
afriezalie

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 03:51:14 PM

I spend them for my prepaid sim card and steam wallet. But i have plan to exchange my bitcoin to fiat and then buy some new hardwares for my old PC Wink
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4528

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 04:49:06 PM

my rule is to only spend the funds i earned the years before.. that way im always in profit.

i am putting all the funds i earn this year aside and only spend them when in profit.
also i dont spend as much as i earn so it all mounts up.

but the number one rule everyone should follow is
never spend at a loss..

once you follow that, then you can decide how much to spend out of the profitable amounts

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
moderntimes

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 04:54:13 PM

no. i use it just middle. not of all..
if i spend "example" i dont have bitcoin again in my wallet...
nevertheless just little, i still to leaves it.
zeraTunerse

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 12:14:14 PM

I spend them for my prepaid sim card and steam wallet. But i have plan to exchange my bitcoin to fiat and then buy some new hardwares for my old PC Wink

I do the same, I spend part of my bitcoins and convert it to my fiat currency and spend it on my basic stuffs and day to expenses, and it is really helping in the best way, as the conversion of bitcoin to fiat hardly takes fractions of minutes.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: