Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 12:17:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a ball?  (Read 327 times)
JerryCurlzzz (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 06:25:56 PM

Did you ever wonder like me?

A ball is a round, usually spherical but sometimes ovoid, object with various uses. It is used in ball games, where the play of the game follows the state of the ball as it is hit, kicked or thrown by players. In the context of sports, "ball" need not refer to a spherical object, as is the case in American football. Balls can also be used for simpler activities, such as catch, marbles and juggling. Balls made from hard-wearing materials are used in engineering applications to provide very low friction bearings, known as ball bearings. Black-powder weapons use stone and metal balls as projectiles.

Although many types of balls are today made from rubber, this form was unknown outside the Americas until after the voyages of Columbus. The Spanish were the first Europeans to see bouncing rubber balls (albeit solid and not inflated) which were employed most notably in the Mesoamerican ballgame. Balls used in various sports in other parts of the world prior to Columbus were made from other materials such as animal bladders or skins, stuffed with various materials.
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 07:03:53 PM

I suppose I've never considered a ball more than just a spherical object. However, now that you've cast some light on the subject it does appear to be more than just that. Giving it some thought it seems to have subjective qualities enough so that non-spherical objects can be appropriately termed a "ball". Perhaps emergence can explain the balls multitude of forms and uses.

In philosophy, systems theory, science, and art, emergence is a process whereby larger entities, patterns, and regularities arise through interactions among smaller or simpler entities that themselves do not exhibit such properties.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 07:09:42 PM

I suppose I've never considered a ball more than just a spherical object. However, now that you've cast some light on the subject it does appear to be more than just that. Giving it some thought it seems to have subjective qualities enough so that non-spherical objects can be appropriately termed a "ball". Perhaps emergence can explain the balls multitude of forms and uses.

In philosophy, systems theory, science, and art, emergence is a process whereby larger entities, patterns, and regularities arise through interactions among smaller or simpler entities that themselves do not exhibit such properties.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence

Speaking of square balls...

Sourgummies

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 10:42:34 PM

Bucket meet pail
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: