Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 02:21:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: power line (mains) noise (dirtly electricity) from Power Supplies HEALTH HAZARD  (Read 11290 times)
Mad7Scientist (OP)

Activity: 373
Merit: 262

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 02:49:56 AM
Last edit: June 03, 2013, 04:54:43 PM by Mad7Scientist

I have 4 KingWin 850W power supplies running at 600W each on 240VAC. Apparently the power factor correction circuit makes a bunch of noise and the power supplies have poor filtering. I don't know if all power supplies with power factor correction are this bad since I don't have any other active PFC power supplies.

I'm selling pass through type noise filters for 7 BTC ~1 BTC. There is a standard 120VAC plug and 12 AWG cord going in to a plastic box and the same coming back out to a 3 way outlet. There's about 1.5 feet of cord total. Another option is to buy a 5 - 15 uF film capacitor with across the line (X/X2/Y2) ratings and wire it in parallel with your outlet if you wanted a cheaper solution that should still help quite a bit. It would be nice if you bought the filter from me but please do something! The noise from these things can be quite awful. We have a meter that measures electrical noise up to 100 kilocycles in a unit called "GS". At the outlet of the miners it measured 1800 GS (1999 is limit of the meter) and under 60 GS is considered safe. The 120v outlets in the rest of the house came up to around 400 GS because of this.

This IS NOT electromagnetic pollution. The air in the house between you and the wiring creates a natural capacitor of so many picofarads. This is direct electric exposure of small amounts of current flowing directly through your body. There is no magnetic component involved.

I have had small black spots appearing all over my body during the past year since I started mining and I have never had something like this happen before. Having all those spots that I never had before suddenly start appearing everywhere in such a short time period was quite scary. There is a very strong possibility that it is directly related. I'm glad I found out what was doing it!!!!  I think that 240V power wire that was running the miners runs right under the wall in front of my bed too.

Here's a copy of my ad in the order book:
One dirty electricity filter for BITCOIN MINERS using cheap unfiltered power supplies with noisy P.FactorC.. High frquency noise on your power lines is bad for your health! noise_voltage * frequency = how bad it is. 60cps * 240VAC is not as bad as 60,000cps at 1 volt. Don't learn the hard way like me. Contains 25uF of capacitance & 900uH of ind. total. Rated 30A 250VAC. Factory lead time 3 weeks.

edit: The noise at the miner outlets is now 800 GS and 400 GS on the filter input side. I was hoping for better. I guess the 2x450uH of inductance isn't enough even with 15uF of capacitance on the output and 10uF input. The rest of the house is down to about 110 GS.

edit2: I didn't want to center the conversation around the black spots thing. Lots of people have little black / grey spots on their skin. I didn't have such a thing until the last year which is why it was alarming to me. Putting the spots aside, here is a collection of research about dirty electricity and the various health problems it can cause: http://www.stetzerelectric.com/category/research/ . I was planning to put some kind of filter on the mining power supplies anyway before I had ever thought there might be a connection with the spots and dirty electricity.

There's a post below with a link to power supply inlet plugs with built in filters for only $5. You could add those to your power supplies and then add a 10uF X1/X2 rated film capacitor to the inside of your power strip along with a bleeder resistor. For four power supplies that would only cost you about $32 + shipping from Mouser.com. 2x450uH of inductance is still too small but it would help.
regular

Activity: 297
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 04:18:01 AM

Maybe start taking a shower and those black spots will stop accumulating.

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/emf.html
Starlightbreaker
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 07:30:38 AM

what the fuck did i just read.

op, either you're an idiot or just has skin disease.

1++ year of mining, and my skin is still as good as before.

mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 08:04:12 AM

PSUs aren't causing any sort of health problem. Cellphones don't hurt you either.

Most of everything smaller then a wavelength of Ultraviolet has the potential to cause burns. Gamma rays are particularly cancerous due to their size. It goes right into you Cell -> Nucleus -> Chromosomes then slices up your DNA (and RNA). Your PSU will not emit wavelengths anywhere near that. Much closer to Radio (particularly AM).

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
squeept

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 01:22:37 PM

Millions of people would have turned completely black by now if this was true.

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
Mad7Scientist (OP)

Activity: 373
Merit: 262

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 05:15:05 PM

Can I rend the apartment next door and set up a microwave oven with the door open facing your side?
BitBlitz

Activity: 285

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 05:39:16 PM

Tis not a problem. 
I wind the extension cords from my miners and place it over my head to keep me warm.  I thrink it hellps my think butter!

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
squeept

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 07:26:57 PM

Mmmm....sourdough toast and melted think butter.

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 07:31:56 PM

Mad scientist indeed...

Are you sure your black spots aren't a result of chemtrails?
Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 07:35:24 PM

I have had small black spots appearing all over my body during the past year since I started mining and I have never had something like this happen before. Having all those spots that I never had before suddenly start appearing everywhere in such a short time period was quite scary. There is a very strong possibility that it is directly related. I'm glad I found out what was doing it!!!!  I think that 240V power wire that was running the miners runs right under the wall in front of my bed too.

This is bullshit.
If not bullshit, see a doctor, find out what's actually wrong with you.
Regardless, nobody wants to buy a "solution" to something that's not a problem.
AmpEater

Activity: 232

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 11:22:41 PM

Fucking con artist. 

I'm an electrical engineer, you're full of shit.
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 11:31:09 PM

Can I rend the apartment next door and set up a microwave oven with the door open facing your side?

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:16:19 AM

I have had small black spots appearing all over my body during the past year since I started mining and I have never had something like this happen before. Having all those spots that I never had before suddenly start appearing everywhere in such a short time period was quite scary. There is a very strong possibility that it is directly related. I'm glad I found out what was doing it!!!!  I think that 240V power wire that was running the miners runs right under the wall in front of my bed too.

This is bullshit.
If not bullshit, see a doctor, find out what's actually wrong with you.
Regardless, nobody wants to buy a "solution" to something that's not a problem.

You may be having problems with your diet. Even check with a nutritionist first. Bitcoin can take up much of your time. Including vitamin deficiencies if you are having poor nutrition.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:28:09 AM
Last edit: October 03, 2012, 01:12:31 AM by Bogart

The air in the house between you and the wiring creates a natural capacitor of so many picofarads. This is direct electric exposure of small amounts of current flowing directly through your body. There is no magnetic component involved.

Isn't almost all of the wiring in a house insulated from the air by the plastic jacket surrounding the conductors?

I have had small black spots appearing all over my body

Pics of spots plz.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1208

This is not OK.

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 01:14:13 AM

Bubonic plague.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 05:56:20 AM

You all missed the obvious hole in the whole story: most miners will be hooked up to low-pass filters anyway. The surge suppressor in most power-bars will block radio frequencies. This can be a problem if you want to do things like powerline networking.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
gbx

Activity: 226

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:41:41 PM

Tripp Lite ISOBar.  But you can buy inline power supply filters from Mouser for a few bucks. 

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Schaffner/FN9233B-10-06/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsSuP4UBDzYOwl3D%252b%252bql6gQ4adt9tKgyqM%3d

Not sure if that would work as a retrofit in most powersupplies... probably not.

7BTC for an inline filter is some serious snakeoil.  Hit up mouser
YokoToriyama

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 04:46:10 PM

this sounds like a joke.
dooferorg

Activity: 163

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 05:39:41 PM

Mad, yes.

Scientist, no.

BTC: 1dooferoD3vnwgez3Jo1E4bFfgMf81LR2
ZEC: t1gnToN2HZW4GD52kofEVdijhRijWjCNfYi
Desolator

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 04:42:54 AM

Kinda breezed over the post but um, are we talking about .hack\\GU? lol.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: