Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:54:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: power line (mains) noise (dirtly electricity) from Power Supplies HEALTH HAZARD  (Read 11284 times)
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 02:53:01 PM

I'm selling...

I have had small black spots appearing all over my body during the past year since I started mining and I have never had something like this happen before.

Fuck you.

Seriously, fuck you in your face.  People like you make me sick. You remind me of the guy trying to sell blue green algae to stimulate stem cell production to cure diseases.

"I've been mining for 12 months, and I've had black spots appear in the last 12 months.  Therefore, BTC GAVE ME CANCER!"

Sorry for the aggression, but seriously.  Flimflammers like you piss me off. Whether you're doing it on purpose to make money, or because of your lack of education and ignorance.

You should introduce yourself to Brian Dunning at http://www.skeptoid.com  And teach yourself some critical thinking skills.

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 03:02:43 PM

Scam.
BitBlitz

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 03:15:39 PM

Brian Dunning, FTW!

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
Azelphur

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 06:51:01 PM

Hi, I run a mining rig myself in England. The hardware is as follows

8 x AMD 5870
8 x ASUS M4N68T-M LE v2
8 x Kingston 2GB DDR3 1066
8 x Corsair CX600 600W
8 x AMD Sempron 140

They are all out in the open with no cases or shielding of any type.

They are connected to belkin surgemaster power strips, and then straight into the wall socket.

Besides the bitcoin rig, we also have huge amounts of other computer equipment in the house, multiple laptops, computers, multiple quad screen setups, etc. Suffice to say we have a very heavy power draw in this house, and way more than OP.

I have been mining since May 2011.

I live in a 6 bedroom family / guest house. People are always coming and going, we have lodgers, lots of whom have stayed for more than 6 months, along with family who come to stay. We've had at least 10 people stay for >6 months in the same house as all this equipment.

None of my family, or any of the lodgers that have visited, have bumped into the issues you are speaking of, I have no black spots on my skin, and neither does anyone else.

Unless you can put forward some credible evidence that your black spots are caused by power issues (A letter from a doctor, perhaps?) I call this marketing FUD.
VeeMiner

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 09:14:42 PM

please, I hope no one believes this bullshit...
regular

Activity: 297

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 04:22:23 AM

BFL has been announcing features out of thin air left and right, but if they could include one of the filters that Mad7Scientist is selling, I would quickly cancel all my other asic orders and load up on their Singles.

Which company can give me the fewest spots/Gigahash?
Desolator

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 05:06:48 AM

How is the OP's ignore button not highlighted yet?!  It should be dark orange with a big, flashing animated gif red warning lights or something by now, lol.
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 07:44:01 AM

Hang on...

Did we just get trollied?

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
Mad7Scientist (OP)

Activity: 373
Merit: 262

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 04:04:52 AM

PSUs aren't causing any sort of health problem. Cellphones don't hurt you either.
This isn't even electromagnetic radiation as your post refers to. These are frequencies in the 1 to 100 kilocycle range which is way below what are used for radio communications, except for some specialized things like the national time digital transmission (for those self setting clocks) and communications to submarines. Picking up these signals is done with magnetic detection since an antenna that is long enough is impractical because the length would be in the miles.

I am talking about voltage which comes in to your body through the capacitance in the air around you. It's like constantly touching two pieces of wire with a small but never ending high frequency voltage across them.

Cell phones and other microwave band digital transmissions are bad for you but that's a different story. Governments had to raise the safe exposure levels for certain microwave radiating devices to even be legal.

Pics of spots plz.
Look at the second picture on linked page below of the nose with the spot on it. Imagine something a bit smaller and possibly darker. Imagine them in fairly random places that are exposed to the sun, and also in places which are not exposed to the sun as much. At first a bunch appeared from sun exposure right after I first started mining, and then more kept appearing during the winter in random places. I never had such a thing happen like this and I've been out in the sun plenty of times. I continued to be in the sun this summer and it did not cause spots to appear more so in the sun exposed areas.
http://beauty-healthcare.blogspot.com/2012/02/how-to-remove-dark-spots-on-face-dark_26.html

Isn't almost all of the wiring in a house insulated from the air by the plastic jacket surrounding the conductors?
That doesn't stop electrostatic force, which is how capacitors operate. The air and plastic between you and the wire creates a small capacitor. You would have to have metal shielding to actually ground out the electricity.

You all missed the obvious hole in the whole story: most miners will be hooked up to low-pass filters anyway. The surge suppressor in most power-bars will block radio frequencies. This can be a problem if you want to do things like powerline networking.
These are low frequencies which require much more inductance to block. The power supplies probably do have filters and those filters probably reduce the noise quite a bit but it is nowhere near enough. Those power strips are probably just a ferrite bead or choke with the wires wrapped around a couple times. It would help for something like 100MHz but it is nearly useless for this.

This noise sits right in the middle. With really low frequencies, it's so low that it's not harmful and the amount that comes through the capacitance in the air is very low. With high frequencies, small inductors and capacitors put in for EMI suppression easily block the noise. If you increase the frequency by 10, then 1/10th of the noise makes it through the EMI suppression inductors, and 10x as much is absorbed by the EMI suppression capacitors so you have 1/100th as much noise coming out.

Scam.
please, I hope no one believes this bullshit...
You could spend your time pointing out real scams instead of helping suppress health information that would cause the mainstream medical system to lose money. Those people are the ones with the mult billion dollar scam going. The U.S. even went so far as to bribe officials in Ecuador to take a man who was selling herbs to cure cancer to the U.S. market on his website, and have him illegally extradited to the U.S. and put in jail.

None of my family, or any of the lodgers that have visited, have bumped into the issues you are speaking of, I have no black spots on my skin, and neither does anyone else.
Do you have a single transformer that hooks your house or a couple houses to the power lines or is there a split phase 240V line that goes down the street and hooks all the houses together on the secondary sides of the transformers? Having it shared might reduce the power line noise by sharing it with all your neighbors. This way is most common in residential areas.

How is the OP's ignore button not highlighted yet?!  It should be dark orange with a big, flashing animated gif red warning lights or something by now, lol.
Because most people probably find it mildly interesting and would not ignore it. Then there is a small group of people who are hellbent on being against what I am saying and you have to be able to see what I say to have a rebuttal.

Anyway, so far things are going all right. The GS meter measures peak noise so plugging in 1 PSU verses having 4 plugged in doesn't change the GS meter reading much. It is 750 GS with 3 on and 800 GS with 4. There's still 400 GS on the filter input side and about 120 GS in the house. With some added capacitor filters it's down to 70 GS on those circuits. Everything seems to be working fine. I haven't gotten any new spots, but it's only been two weeks. Besides, I was going to add the filter anyway before I ever knew anything about spots. So either way I'm happy.

The spots are kind of weird. It's like there's this black stuff under my outer skin layer skin like a tattoo. I scratched off the outer layer of skin over a spot and I scratched this gummy dark stuff out. There was just a tiny bit of blood in that layer. Then it healed back to being normal with no spot. You guys are probably going to be all upset that I scratched my own skin without having a doctor involved and dared talk about it. Talk about a scam.
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 04:50:45 AM

This isn't even electromagnetic radiation as your post refers to. These are frequencies in the 1 to 100 kilocycle range which is way below what are used for radio communications...

...Picking up these signals is done with magnetic detection since an antenna that is long enough is impractical because the length would be in the miles.
You really have no idea what EMR is, do you? Read up on Einstein's Wave Particle Duality before spewing more shit out of your mouth.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2012, 04:59:03 AM

You guys this isn't a freaking joke. This is serious. If he were to not use these filters, it's inevitable that he would turn completely black.

This isn't the first time this has happened either!

If you'll recall, there was a black guy that had this happen to him, started getting white spots.

Short time later, he's completely white.

Yes, Michael Jackson was the first for this to happen to, he was living in a house full of minors for years.

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 06:52:45 AM

You guys this isn't a freaking joke. This is serious. If he were to not use these filters, it's inevitable that he would turn completely black.

This isn't the first time this has happened either!

If you'll recall, there was a black guy that had this happen to him, started getting white spots.

Short time later, he's completely white.

Yes, Michael Jackson was the first for this to happen to, he was living in a house full of minors for years.

Boy,did get you catch me off guard or what  Cheesy

Very well done sir !!!!!!!! Cool

I needed that laugh dude,perfect timing  Grin

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
jasinlee

Activity: 742

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 07:05:47 AM

Well cell phones are not good for people under the age of 12 iirc but only because the skull has not thickened enough to block the waves the phone generates. So kids should be fine texting, but not talking on cell phones directly on their ears. ( I worked for Verizon for 5 years so I got lots of research coming across my desk. ) Beyond that not much is going to generate anything strong enough to hurt you or anyone else unless your going to go hug your mining rig for hours on end.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
regular

Activity: 297

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 12:30:58 PM

Well cell phones are not good for people under the age of 12 iirc but only because the skull has not thickened enough to block the waves the phone generates. So kids should be fine texting, but not talking on cell phones directly on their ears. ( I worked for Verizon for 5 years so I got lots of research coming across my desk. ) Beyond that not much is going to generate anything strong enough to hurt you or anyone else unless your going to go hug your mining rig for hours on end.

Don't know what kind of research you were doing, but if you can come up with these kind of statements, I hope they didn't invest much in you.  Your skull thickness has no effect on blocking the cell phone radio waves.
jasinlee

Activity: 742

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 12:37:24 PM

Don't know what kind of research you were doing, but if you can come up with these kind of statements, I hope they didn't invest much in you.  Your skull thickness has no effect on blocking the cell phone radio waves.

http://www.greenhealthwatch.com/newsstories/newsmobilephones/childrens-heads-more-radiation.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1565477/Mobile-phone-cancer-risk-higher-for-children.html
http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/05/31/who.cell.phones/index.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/9554782.stm

Sorry it was the middle of the night, I meant radiation. But dang your kind of a dick arent you.

"Children's skulls and scalps are thinner. So the radiation can penetrate deeper into the brain of children and young adults. Their cells are at a dividing faster rate, so the impact of radiation can be much larger." said Black of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Meizirkki

Activity: 616

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 01:25:17 PM

Funny how this forum is filled with technology nerds of all kinds and still most are completely ignorant to electromagnetic pollution. >_> Electromagnetic pollution is a real health issue, so no reason to ridicule the OP. In this case tho, I do agree that unless OP suffers from electromagnetic hypersensitivity there should be no health issue from switching PSU ripple. I would start to worry when a fluorescent light bulb can be lit via capacitive coupling, by simply holding it near the wires or PSU Cheesy

Bad ripple at outlets can however cause problems to other electrical equipment, esp. old devices such as CRT TV's and monitors. It's very easy to get rid of ripple currents tho, and you don't need to buy expensive filters. It's easy to make such a filter yourself. Just take the power cord that goes into your power supplies and wind it into a form of a coil. Coils resist the change of a current, so with properly sized coil your 50Hz mains power can freely flow through, but the higher frequency ripple is filtered. Depending on the switching frequency of the power supplies you might have to make a rather large coil or use an iron core.

The suggested "capacitor in parallel" solution is a VERY BAD way to deal with the noise! Don't do it! Adding capacitance creates a short circuit for the high frequency ripple currents. The ripple no longer finds it's way to the wall plug, true, but instead, it's all dissipated in the capacitor and wires, which results in higher power draw, higher temperatures and generally wastes both electricity and your equipment.
Desolator

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 01:32:27 PM

Electromagnetic pollution is a real health issue, so no reason to ridicule the OP.
I thought being a lying, scamming piece of shit was a reason.  Whether he's 5% right or not, this is the most blatant, idiotic bullshit post I've ever seen.

You know what, here's a frog levitating in a 10 tesla magnetic field, surrounded by enough EM radiation to do whatever it is you claim EM waves do to people, and yet there he is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1vyB-O5i6E

the frog wanted me to tell you that we're not made out of metal and you should all shut up.
Meizirkki

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 02:06:36 PM

I thought being a lying, scamming piece of shit was a reason.  Whether he's 5% right or not, this is the most blatant, idiotic bullshit post I've ever seen.
argh. I should have read better. It looked like someone scared was looking for help and others just started mocking him. :/ Yea, there is a reason to ridicule the OP.

You know what, here's a frog levitating in a 10 tesla magnetic field, surrounded by enough EM radiation to do whatever it is you claim EM waves do to people, and yet there he is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1vyB-O5i6E
the frog wanted me to tell you that we're not made out of metal and you should all shut up.
Funny fact of the day hm? Not so much. Static magnetic field is not EM radiation and does not "do whatever it is you claim EM waves to do to people". Earth has it's own magnetic field, what kind of an evolution would not get rid of life forms to which magnetic fields are hazardous? Say hi to the frog when you meet next time and tell him I want that machine to the nearest amusement park.
Desolator

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 04:33:53 PM

I assumed people would put 2 and 2 together and I was lazy but the 2nd part of the post should have been...

So obviously all the electrical equipment around that device required to generate that kind of field is releasing enough "super dangerous OMG mega EM radiation" to give you a brain tumor and then cook it Tongue  There are probably huge transformers and capacitors, all killing everyone within a 1000 foot radius...except EM radiation generated by electrical equipment doesn't affect humans in any way Tongue or frogs, lol.
Meizirkki

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 05:54:05 PM

except EM radiation generated by electrical equipment doesn't affect humans in any way Tongue or frogs, lol.
That may be the controversial state of the science, but depending of course on which kind of electrical equipment you mean.. it's not true. And it really sucks for the sensitive people.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: